Suction Side Air leak

RF,

Looking at your photo closely generates a few more questions and suggestions:
  • The pump suction line has a 90 and then a manifold of 3 suction sources. I would assume these are spa drain, pool drain, and skimmer. Close these one-at-a-time and see if the bubbles are reduced. Do not accidentally close them all at the same time as this will cavitate the pump. This could help isolate the leak to something above ground.
  • Below the suction pipe there is another pipe that comes out of the ground then a valve in the closed position then it is open to air. What is this pipe for?
Chris

Ill try to record a sma
The air goes that way as it is the path of least resistance. Was the booster pump removed?
Yes. The previous people removed it along with
RF,
I would get a 2" plug and isolate that section of pipe if you can. On this age of pool, as Marty indicated that should be a pressure connection that would have been connected to a separate booster pump at one time to power a Polaris or something similar. It would normally be connected to the discharge of your filter pump then flow to a booster pump which in turn flows to the connection in the pool. Point is this should be connected to the pressure side of your pump and therefore it could not be a source of air intrusion. When you connect the vacuum hose it creates more bubbles is normally a hose leak or hose connection leak of some kind. If the hose and hose connections are definitely not the problem, then the additional pressure drop in the suction side from the vacuum and hose would require more vacuum which would in-turn make the air leak point suck in more air. This can also be why you are getting more bubbles when the vacuum is connected. It's less common but could be why you get more bubbles with the vacuum connected. This all leads back to the suction side of the pump, including the pump flange o-rings and the drain plug. I would perform the water hos drip to check everything again starting at the very lowest potential leak source such as the pump plug and housing. Looks like the valve with the mangled handle is pretty low too. This valve could have also been exposed to more stress with leverage from the wrenches used to turn it. Your leak could be at the normal locations where a seal in a valve handle, or cover, or pump flange, or PVC joint is located. Or in an older installation like this it could be a crack in any part of the pump or any of the components that is very hard to see. Last time I found a leak like this it was so minute you couldn't see it until the part was removed. But the water drip test was conclusive.

I hope this helps.

Chris
I will try the hose drip technique again starting from the pump and see what happens. I actually did a little bit of digging to expose more of those pipes. Hopefully i also catch some water squirt out when i shut the pump off.

RF,

Looking at your photo closely generates a few more questions and suggestions:
  • The pump suction line has a 90 and then a manifold of 3 suction sources. I would assume these are spa drain, pool drain, and skimmer. Close these one-at-a-time and see if the bubbles are reduced. Do not accidentally close them all at the same time as this will cavitate the pump. This could help isolate the leak to something above ground.
  • Below the suction pipe there is another pipe that comes out of the ground then a valve in the closed position then it is open to air. What is this pipe for?
Chris
I tried isolating the problem by only leaving one valve at a time as you mentioned, but i still get bubbles. Im starting to think that every joint, or valve maybe be causing the leak.

That valve that does not seem to be connected to anything seems to be for a booster pump. Well at least that is what i think.

Just an update. So I was never able to find the leak. I tried pretty much everything. My conclusions is that i had developed several air leaks. Considering the conditions and age of valves and joints, i would'nt doubt I had several air leaks. I was also not able to isolate the air leak but shutting off 2 out of the three valves. What I did observe when shutting off 2 valves in different combinations was that certain combinations produced more air bubbles in the pump basket. Lastly, the pool pump seems very old as well. Right now i am getting all the valves replaced with jandy never lube valves. I am also getting the pool pump replaced, with a pentair VS pump.

Reactions: setsailsoon
Hey everyone. Just an update on my air leak. So i had a couple pool guys come out to give me an estimate for their labor to install the jandy valves i bought, and the pump. I was quoted some numbers near 2k, and others under 1k. I am 23 years old, and i bought the house about a year ago. Rather than paying, i took on the task. It took me about three days to do it, but i finished. Id like to announce I no longer have an air leak. ???

Reactions: blazer58
Im really have it wasnt an underground air leak
Now THAT's the way to do it. :goodjob: DIY is a fantastic way to go whenever we can. Glad to hear you got it.
Im just glad it wasn't an underground leak. I replaced every valve on the suction side. Also made sure to weld the new valves, joints with the proper cement. I used high temp unions as well. I have been checking to see if there is any leaks, but everything seems to be fine. Ill post a couple before, and after pictures on thursday.

Hey everyone. Just an update on my air leak. So i had a couple pool guys come out to give me an estimate for their labor to install the jandy valves i bought, and the pump. I was quoted some numbers near 2k, and others under 1k. I am 23 years old, and i bought the house about a year ago. Rather than paying, i took on the task. It took me about three days to do it, but i finished. Id like to announce I no longer have an air leak. ???

Way to go! Great job!

Yes, I am actually replacing all the valves. I am replacing all the valves, and running 2" PVC all around because the previous owner downsized it to 1.5" for some reason. When I vacuum I usually just connect the hose to the skimmer. When I close the main drain valve to get more suction that is when I get the most air at the pump basket. Even if i dont vacuum and all the valves are open i still get air in the system. Ill go back tomorrow and give it another check. I think it might be possible I may have several suction leaks and that's why I havent been able to isolate the exact spot.

I am about to replace my valves and had issues with ball valves in the past..What kind are you using?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.