Submerged Equipment. Thanks Sally!

chemsales

Silver Supporter
Jun 4, 2020
Navarre, FL
Pool was finished week before Labor Day. We enjoyed for 1 week. It is a beach/second home In Navarre Beach, FL. Took quite a hit last night. My neighbor said about 2-3 feet of water. My pad is elevated but he said pump was completely submerged.

Based upon description of water height, my Intelliflo VSF, IC 40 and 4 Intellivalves were submerged. Also water would have come up about 12” on Ultratemp Heat Pump/Cooler.

What are chances that any of the equipment is salvageable? I am heading down Thursday to clean up and survey the damage. Thanks in advance for any replies/suggestions.

Attachments

• AFEB5ABA-F3A0-4128-B114-B5C1986798EB.jpeg
    AFEB5ABA-F3A0-4128-B114-B5C1986798EB.jpeg
    403.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 4ACEC820-4490-4C02-8FBE-FA8618566F3E.jpeg
    4ACEC820-4490-4C02-8FBE-FA8618566F3E.jpeg
    441.9 KB · Views: 55
What are chances that any of the equipment is salvageable?
You have a chance. If the power was out before the water rose you have a better chance. Energized wiring ages 20 years in a matter of hours when exposed to salt/brackish water. The swg is probably fine. The pump may need a new keypad/readout/cpu if the housing leaked and probably needs fresh electric connections. The heaters electronics are up high on the unit and hopefully were high enough.

Open whatever you can and rinse thoroughly with the hose if the house water works. Its real salt water, not the weak pool salt water.

Good luck with what you find, inside and out.

Recap
New pool installed just in time to have hurricane damage! Water level was 3 feet deep. House is on pilings as we are at the beach. Pool pad is elevated. Water was at top of pump key pad after power went out. Down here now cleaning up. Power back on this afternoon. There was no water present in top box under keypad. I was excited when pump ran for about 5 minutes and then it tripped breaker. Keeps tripping. I brought down an extra pump just in case. Only here one more day and my pool builder is backed up with lots of damage in area. They had hard connected the intake and output pipes. I don’t have the tools to cut out current pump. Can I take the electrical side off and just replace and leave flow portion as is? Or do I just wait until pool company can get to it? I would like to get the 4” of sand out of my pool and get the chemicals back to where they need to be before I leave.
Thanks!

Post pics of the pump you brought down.

Last edited:
I would open up the electrical connections on the Intelliflo and try and clean all connections well to get any salt or corrosion off. Maybe the GFCI trip is coming from the electrical area. If not then it is deeper in the motor.

I don’t understand what you are thinking of doing - “Can I take the electrical side off and just replace and leave flow portion as is?”

All good. It was exact same model I purchased last month when built. Pentair 011056. Just swapped out the electrical half and all is operating normally. Intellivalves seem to be fine as well as IC40. Salt dropped from 3200 to 1900. I guess 20+ inches of rain will do that. Will try heat pump later after I get sand out of spa. Fingers crossed as I could use a soak after this clean up. I’ll get a new motor and have some spare parts for the future. With the way salt water corrodes everything at least now I have some extra parts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.