Stubborn Algae

Raseanw

May 10, 2022
Baltimore, MD
I am new to pool ownership. So far, the season has been great until 5 days ago an algae outbreak took over my pool. When the pool was teal my free chlorine was low and total chlorine was high. I also had low CYA. I put stabilizer and added chlorine during the night and the next morning the pool was greener!! I shocked it was liquid chlorine, run the pump for 3 days, scrubbed and vacuumed the pool. After 3 days of frustration I went to the local pool store for testing and a plan (see attached). After 24 hours I’m not seeing much change. I’m trying to stay optimistic but the way things are looking it’s hard to.

Equipment
18x4 pool 6100 gallons
2200gph sand filter with skimmer

Attachments

• 22198557-FBBE-4112-86D5-B3FECE81F182.jpeg
    22198557-FBBE-4112-86D5-B3FECE81F182.jpeg
    532.1 KB · Views: 59
  • AE4CDDD8-96B7-45BA-80D5-6A01C0799880.jpeg
    AE4CDDD8-96B7-45BA-80D5-6A01C0799880.jpeg
    813.6 KB · Views: 61
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    591.7 KB · Views: 63
Okay, thanks. I don't want this to sound like some sort of sales pitch, but the store testing is going to hold you back. It's often incorrect and their advice/products not much better. You really need your own TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit. If I was to trust those test results (I don't), your CYA is priority #1. It needs to come down to around 50 or so. Over 100 is much too high. You lower CYA by changing water. CYA increases by chlorine tabs and powders. The sooner you exchange water the sooner you can control the algae.

What Texassplash said about pool store testing being unreliable is correct. I recently purchased one of test kits he mentioned, and some of my measurements differed by 50% from what the pool store had reported and used to sell me unnecessary chemicals. I am guessing that for the price of the soda ash, Green to Clean, and ClearAid you could buy one of these test kits. And those chemicals will not solve your problem - SLAMming will. But to carry out a SLAM, you need an accurate measure of your water chemistry.

Having recently done it, it stinks dropping $100 on a test kit when you can get free tests at the pool store. But the kit is 100% necessary and >100% worth it - it will save you money by keeping you out of the pool store.

See these links for more info:
SLAM Process
Test Kits Compared

Where can I find the kits?

My first suggestion is to stop going to the pool store. Their only response it to sell you something.

I will tell you, it didn't turn green overnight and it will take time to clear. But, we can teach you how to get it sparkling and keep it that way for a lot less money than the pool store.

Not much credence is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. Plus, the results of their "testing" is used to convince you that you need to buy things. Why do you think that testing is free?

But, what can you do?? We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF-100 Test Kit ™ and at least include the XL Option . That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

Please don't go back to the pool store for a test kit. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. The TF-100 Test Kit ™ has this test while very few other kits do. The kits sold at the pool store generally won't won't cut it, but be careful pool store employees are known to say “it's the same thing”. Generally it's not!

The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006-C. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want. Even then it is a little short on the reagent & powder for the FAS/DPD test.

Until you get your kit, each day I want you to put one bottle of bleach (yes, the same stuff you use for laundry) in the pool with the filter running. Be careful, it needs to be plain bleach, no scents, no EZ-Pour and none of the new Cloramax or laundry enhancing formulas.

Continue brushing and running the filter, cleaning the filter as necessary.

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework reading assignment. Start with these:

So, welcome to TFP!!

My first suggestion is to stop going to the pool store. Their only response it to sell you something.

I will tell you, it didn't turn green overnight and it will take time to clear. But, we can teach you how to get it sparkling and keep it that way for a lot less money than the pool store.

Not much credence is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. Plus, the results of their "testing" is used to convince you that you need to buy things. Why do you think that testing is free?

But, what can you do?? We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF-100 Test Kit ™ and at least include the XL Option . That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

Please don't go back to the pool store for a test kit. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. The TF-100 Test Kit ™ has this test while very few other kits do. The kits sold at the pool store generally won't won't cut it, but be careful pool store employees are known to say “it's the same thing”. Generally it's not!

The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006-C. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want. Even then it is a little short on the reagent & powder for the FAS/DPD test.

Until you get your kit, each day I want you to put one bottle of bleach (yes, the same stuff you use for laundry) in the pool with the filter running. Be careful, it needs to be plain bleach, no scents, no EZ-Pour and none of the new Cloramax or laundry enhancing formulas.

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework reading assignment. Start with these:

So, welcome to TFP!!
Will do. Thank you

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Test kit has been ordered.
Great! We will get you on the way to a clear pool.
Prepare yourself that if, and only if, that CYA number is correct, you're going to have to drain about 75% of the water. Don't start replacing in advance of getting the kit because the pool store results may be completely off.

So, welcome to TFP!!
*update* I have read and saved those blog post. That is what I needed to see. Thanks again.

This morning the pool is looking more teal. I still bought bottles of bleach. Should I continue even though I am seeing improvement from the local pool method or continue with the daily bleach until my kit comes in? Please advise.

This morning the pool is looking more teal. I still bought bottles of bleach. Should I continue even though I am seeing improvement from the local pool method or continue with the daily bleach until my kit comes in? Please advise.
Trying ot mix teh methods of pool stores and what we recommend usually doesn't work too well.

Not to sound blunt, but you probably need to decide which way you are going to be handling the pool and follow that advice.

Trying ot mix teh methods of pool stores and what we recommend usually doesn't work too well.

Not to sound blunt, but you probably need to decide which way you are going to be handling the pool and follow that advice.
No I agree and I appreciate the straightforwardness, it’s just that I already started and finished the method from the pool store before coming to this forum but only seeing improvement now

Last edited:

The results you're seeing on the pool store plan are likely due to the addition of "Power Powder". Power Powder is the pool store's brand name for Calcium Hypochlorite, which is one of the common forms of chlorine out there. You'll get a similar addition of chlorine to the water from a gallon of grocery store bleach as you're getting from 14 oz of Power Powder. So no harm in abandoning their plan, but plenty of benefit - here you'll get lasting results. With the pool store plan you'll probably be back with the same problem and leave with the same "fix" in a few weeks.

No I agree and I appreciate the straightforwardness, it’s just that I already started the method from the pool store before coming to this forum.
If it were me I'd stop what Leslies told you to do.

Have you been adding the Green to Clean? It's just an expensive fancy ammonia product. While ammonia will kill algae, it also wipes out chlorine.

While Powder Plus 73 sounds impressive, it's nothing more than CalHypo which is adding just as much calcium to your water as it is chlorine. Your above ground pool doesn't need that much calcium.

What you need is chlorine and some good numbers we can use to see what is really going on with your water. If your pool has been on a diet of tabs and granular shock I can believe the CYA/Stabilizer is high and it's where all your problems stem from.

Understand, in it's natural state, chlorine is a gas. Many large commercial pools actually use gas injection systems to chlorinate their pools. Now, to change chlorine into something we can use at home it needs to be bound to something to turn it into a solid. The "somethings" that are commonly used are stabilizer (also known as CYA), calcium, lithium, or --- get this water. All of these add a little salt to your water, but they add something else.

Cal-Hypo add calcium

Tri-Chlor and Di-Chlor (tabs and most granules) add stabilizer

Lithium hypochlorite adds lithium

Liquid chlorine adds - water.

All of these things can be bad for your pool (except the water) in large quantities. The stabilizer helps shield the chlorine from UV degradation, but at higher levels it also impairs the ability of chlorine to do it's work. The higher the stabilizer level you have the higher the amount of chlorine you need. Too much calcium and you start to get scaling on the walls and floors of your pool.

So, why do pool stores push these products? Several reasons.

- Money would be the first. Unless a pool store is in Florida, Arizona or other year round areas they must make their profit in a short swim season. So, they need to sell you as much as they can as quickly as they can. Additionally, chemical sales is their bread and butter. Profit on a bucket of tabs is much higher than on a gallon of liquid.

- Secondly, we are an immediate gratification society. We want a magic potion that will fix our problem right now. This is where the industry has tried to ad items like clarifiers, floculants and the like which in a perfect world help get the bad stuff out of the water quickly. They sold you the Green to Clean or Yellow out because it kills algae, but didn't tell you it wipes our chlorine on contact.

- Third in my book is training. Most pool store employees learn on the job or through seminars taught by chemical salesmen. So, bad information is handed down from employee to trainee and the chemical salesmen teach them to push high profit items. This is especially true in large chain stores where employees are paid commission and managers jobs are based on how much product flows out the door.

Pool store methods can work for a long time and many are oblivious to what is happening in their pool. If you are in an area where your pool is drained down a lot each winter and winter snow/rains fill an overflow the pool each spring you are starting with a blank canvas, chemically speaking.

Are there good pool stores out there, yes! But, most of them are in the "sun" states where a family can own a small store and operate it 12 months a year, give good service and make a profit.

In the rest of the country you mainly have a high school/college kid who has about an hour training testing your water and telling you what to buy to add to your water. I guess that's like going into a carpet store and asking if you need to buy new carpet.

Unfortunately the pool industry has evolved into sales by scare tactics, misdirection, misinformation and marketing hype. Go in to the store and tell them your TA is low and they are going to sell you baking soda in a fancy package at four times the cost of WalMart. Do they have a right to make a profit, yes - but lets be reasonable. Heck, even their definition of "low" can many times put you on a pH roller coaster that's hard to get off of. Is that lack of knowledge or a sales technique to sell you more chemicals to control your pH????

Is that lack of knowledge or a sales technique to sell you more chemicals to control your pH????

What do we propose? We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. Which leads to

TFPC tenet - Never put chemistry in your pool when you do not know the outcome

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP!

If your pool was that green using pool store potions, and you are seeing any kind of improvement, today is the day to drop whatever you are doing (EXCEPT adding that one gallon of bleach or liquid chlorine :goodjob:) and head for the nearest Powerball Lottery sales agent!

Seriously, when you have the test kit and a basic understanding of the TFP methodology, you won't regret for a minute the money you spent on that kit. Once you DON'T buy all of the pool store potions shown in that first image you posted, the savings will have paid for the TF-100 (and probably then some!) And the pool store wasn't done with you yet; ask me how I know...

And if that Powerball thing should work out, remember your new best friend in PA! :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Raseanw
Trust me I want to follow what you guys are teaching and I believe everything you are saying about the local pool store, they got me and I will definitely not do that again.

With that said I will put a gallon of bleach in my pool daily until the kit comes in. When I receive the kit I will update the thread. Is it pretty straightforward to use?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.