Strange and very bad corrosion on motor

Feb 28, 2009
College Station, Texas USA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
While swapping out my motor because the bearings were making an awful racket, I came across this mess (see attached photos). Is this corrosion because something failed in the shaft-seal assembly or I installed it wrong? I put this motor in myself about 4 years ago. When I opened this up, the ceramic insert was facing out. In the third photo, you can see the old seal assembly on my bench above the seal plate. The ceramic insert is oriented the way it was positioned inside the seal plate. I am really kinda freaked out by the extent of this damage. If it is something I did wrong, I don't want to do this wrong again. Any thoughts? Could this be something else? My motor and pump are not protected from the elements, so it gets rained on when it rains. I am def going to cover this motor and pump after the new one goes in.

Also, from what I can tell, there is nothing special I need to do with the plate that attaches to the motor itself with respect to sealing, correct? I just put the four bolts on and that's it, top end up as it says on the back of the plate? A bit surprising, but if that is correct, then I am good.

I will be extra cautious with the new shaft seal system, too. I know there are important orientation things to consider (ceramic side facing out), and I will be sure to orient the second piece correctly. In a video I watched on shaft seal replacement, it said to NOT use any silicone lube on the rubber element that surrounds the ceramic seal. Is this correct?

Any other suggestions on how to get more life out of the motor?

IMG_6044.jpegIMG_6043.jpegIMG_6045.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: Jimrahbe
That’s called “white rust” and it’s the corrosion of the zinc galvanized coating on the steel parts. It’s usually due to zinc being exposed to high levels of moisture and heat and is exacerbated when there is poor bonding or improper bonding on the metal body (ie, stay current). You can brush it off to clean it up but the underlying steel will start to rust as well. I would double check all your electrical connections and make sure the pump is properly bonded to the rest of the pool equipment and is not exposed to high levels of moisture.

Reactions: Newdude
@JamesW is it possible for me to get a new-ish pump housing that is a bolt-on to this USN1102 motor? Can you recommend anything? My pool is small (9K gals) and I live in TX. The size of the pool should not need anything more than a single-speed 1 HP motor like the USN1102 I just put on to the old Northstar pump housing.

No returning the motor at this point. I will have to use this motor until something irreparable happens to this new motor or the pump, whichever comes first.

Lets say I am ready to do replace it all. If I could do a complete replacement, what would you recommend?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No returning the motor at this point. I will have to use this motor until something irreparable happens to this new motor or the pump, whichever comes first.

Lets say I am ready to do replace it all. If I could do a complete replacement, what would you recommend?
If you don't want to go the VSP route, this is a good alternative as its DOE compliant:

JamesW was actually sugar-coating how bad those NorthStar pumps were.

• Haha
Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.