Mar 10, 2021
Sherman Oaks, CA
We signed a contract to install Stonescapes mini pebble (the color wasn't specified at the time). We are in the in demolition phase now. My understanding was that I could select any color on the Stonescapes Mini Pebble website.

When we told our PB that we selected Zanzibar minipebble, he explained he would apply a $1,640 upcharge for that color. He explained Zanzibar costs more than other mini pebble colors, because of the "purity of the white" He also called it called it a "custom color" (his contract says custom colors are not covered).

I called the NPT national number and a few local showrooms, and every representative explained that Zanzibar mini pebble is not a custom color, and indeed has the same price point as the other mini pebble finishes. I am concerned that our PB is labeling our color a "custom color," when it is not, to charge an extra $1,640.00.

Has anybody heard of this practice before? Am I permitted to post the contractor's name, to see if others have had similar experiences?

Welcome to TFP.

No, please do not post the contractors name.

@Dirk can explain to you what your rights are in CA in disputes with a pool contractor.

Did you ask NPT if your builder or his plaster contractor is an authorized Stonescape installer?

THIS!! Muy Importanto!
Thanks! That's a great recommendation. I will call NPT to verify he is authorized. What are the potential downsides if he is not an authorized installer? Would NPT void the warranty if he is not an authorized installer? I may have difficulty getting out of the contract, but would if using an unauthorized installer has large downsides.

I doubt you'd have any warranty if not a licensed installer of that product.
In fact, I wonder if he can even really buy it- or does he substitute something equivalent?? <----just wondering, no clue if this is true?

If he is not authorized, he can probably sub out the work to a crew who is.

Maddie :flower:

Just checked and without giving out exact pricing the Zanzibar pebble (rock it self only) is twice the cost of a bag of gold rock. Each batch will take 12 bags of rock. It is odd the rep would say Zanzibar cost the same, since each different color of Stonescapes is priced differently when all components are added up. Normally each contractor will state their standard colors to a customer and anything outside of those are upgrades. As an example of material cost, there is a substantial price difference from Aqua Cool to Midnight.

Reactions: ScottieBones
Unlike PebbleTec there is no 'authorized or certified' Stonescapes installer....NPT only requires proof of purchase of all the products in the recipe from NPT for warranty to attach. But good luck in getting NPT to ever acknowledge a problem that warranty will cover. They blame the contractor, the homeowner etc.

We signed a contract to install Stonescapes mini pebble (the color wasn't specified at the time). We are in the in demolition phase now. My understanding was that I could select any color on the Stonescapes Mini Pebble website.

When we told our PB that we selected Zanzibar minipebble, he explained he would apply a $1,640 upcharge for that color. He explained Zanzibar costs more than other mini pebble colors, because of the "purity of the white" He also called it called it a "custom color" (his contract says custom colors are not covered).

I called the NPT national number and a few local showrooms, and every representative explained that Zanzibar mini pebble is not a custom color, and indeed has the same price point as the other mini pebble finishes. I am concerned that our PB is labeling our color a "custom color," when it is not, to charge an extra $1,640.00.

Has anybody heard of this practice before? Am I permitted to post the contractor's name, to see if others have had similar experiences?
My contractor said Zanzibar is more expensive and costs more. We just went with standard.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.