Still new to this - how long to run pool pump

GMTK

Bronze Supporter
Jul 18, 2019
San Antonio
I’ve read the TFP articles on how long to run the pump, watched a bunch of videos and think I have a good grasp, but wanted to come to the experts.

Estimated 25,000 gallon in-ground pool. Hayward 2 speed, 2 HP pump. I have a Jandy RS8 indoor control panel and it appears it currently has 4 (yes four) programs for the “Filter pump” and basically it is set to run 8a-6p. The one “Low Speed” program is 6p-8a so the pump is running 24 hours.

I have chlorine tabs and check my own chemistry (still learning on that).

Running 24 hours seems like a giant, giant waste of electricity.

By my math, with a 2 hp motor, I should be running about 8.333 hours. The furtherest part of the pool, where it is deepest, is about 50’ top the pump.

How long would I run the filter pump and then how long run the low speed? Any thoughts on this is appreciated.

Using chlorine tabs (trichlor) only for sanitation is not sustainable in your climate.

You need to run the pump long enough to mix/create/distribute the chlorine needed each day. That can vary from 2 hours to 24 hours, depending on how you chlorinate. Next reason to run the pump is to skim the surface.

Turnover is a myth, so your calculation of 8 hours is based on poor information.

GMTK,

What "calculations???" If you are calculating turn overs, they are a myth.. Chemicals are what keeps your pool clear, not the number of time water passes through your filter.

I agree with what Marty said above.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks. I add liquid bleach when needed (per the TFP app) when testing. I’m testing using a Taylor kit and then inputting the numbers in to the TFP app and adding what is needed from there.

Thanks guys, this is why I’m asking the questions. Trying to learn as I go. Based on the TFP article, I’m going to change the run time to 5 hours for the filter pump and 4 hours for the low speed. (I know the article says 4-8 hours but I’m in Texas and have trees by the pool).

Any more advice is greatly appreciated and helpful.

GMTK,

You should adjust your pump run time to suit your needs... There is no problem running it longer if you wish.. We just wanted to make sure that you were not running just to satisfy some myth about turn overs...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.