Still didn't open this season yet...somehow just don't have the enthusiasm to do it....anybody else (in the 60+ age group) feel the same way??

anthonypool89

Gold Supporter
Aug 26, 2016
Berks County, PA
Realy hard to admit it to myself, but I think I'm just tired of it all. Love swimming, but just weary of so much that goes along with keeping the thing going all summer. Been at this now for 32 years. I'm more and more finding myself so glad when the season is finally over and it's all closed up. Funny how age just starts to creep up on you. 65 sure doesn't feel like 55, which even mores didn't feel like 45. Will try to summon the energy this week yet to get the cover off and go from there. Best of luck to all for a wonderful season!!!

At 75, my 25 year old pool, 41 year old house and maintaining the yard are the only things that keep me active!
You have a point there. My brother is ten years older and still cranking away at all things house / garden and business-related. Sometimes the 'keeping active' part, though, I'd prefer to moreso devote to travel than all the work around the house and property. Bucket list keeps growing but the amount of time available to accomplish some of it does not.

This year was kind of meh for me as far as opening. I broke my ankle last year, and can't be as active as I was even now. Plus the outdoor outlet died, and my husband had to replace it before we could run the filter. So we didn't open until this past weekend May 23.

But now I'm looking forward to swimming again!

Reactions: mickey4paws

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Unseasonably cooler weather again here
It’s the usual roller coaster for the Northeast. 54 and real cool right now. Tomorrow and Wednesday bouncing around 80. I shudder to think what everybody will find when they crack open their pools this weekend because Memorial Day tells them when to open, not the weather.

Underway...some very unusual things happening with the filter pressure - going down instead of up. Unfortunately evidence of mold mixed in with the dead algae. Hopefully most is just left over from over the winter. Too soon to add any Line Cleaner yet. Adding it along with other products is what resulted in the toxic soup last season. Added more clarifier today, so Line Clean has to wait a few days. Water is a far cry better from when taking the cover off, but not what I'd call 'clear' by anyone's definition. Pressure coming from the return lines is unusually high - especially after filtering so much dirt and debris a few days after opening. This is a rather cautiously optimistic start at best. This season is truly the acid test and last resort for continued use of baqua. Short of the Line Cleaner as an effective maintenance product, there's nothing else out there to try.

Love swimming, but just weary of so much that goes along with keeping the thing going all summer.

Unfortunately evidence of mold mixed in with the dead algae.

This season is truly the acid test and last resort for continued use of baqua. Short of the Line Cleaner as an effective maintenance product, there's nothing else out there to try.

Forgive me for beating the dead horse... but you may find some renewed enthusiasm for the pool when you convert and it doesn’t have to be such a painful ritual.

Best of luck this Summer!

Reactions: mguzzy and Newdude
It’s the usual roller coaster for the Northeast. 54 and real cool right now. Tomorrow and Wednesday bouncing around 80. I shudder to think what everybody will find when they crack open their pools this weekend because Memorial Day tells them when to open, not the weather.
I want to be swimming by Memorial Day. MO is to open two weeks prior. This year, the pool was swimmable by Wednesday, just in time for the 90 degree day the following weekend...Of course the weather on MD weekend had a hard time cracking 65 and not rain, but c'est la vie. It will be up in the 80s this weekend too.

Reactions: Newdude
Realy hard to admit it to myself, but I think I'm just tired of it all. Love swimming, but just weary of so much that goes along with keeping the thing going all summer. Been at this now for 32 years. I'm more and more finding myself so glad when the season is finally over and it's all closed up. Funny how age just starts to creep up on you. 65 sure doesn't feel like 55, which even mores didn't feel like 45. Will try to summon the energy this week yet to get the cover off and go from there. Best of luck to all for a wonderful season!!!
Switch to a salt water pool and buy a robot. Makes pool life so much easier

I opened mine first week in May, but having a heater helps. I would not open that early without a heater. The water temperature was 49 degrees when I opened it. That's just way too cold, and no one would get in the pool.

Reactions: Newdude
That's just way too cold, and no one would get in the pool.
It is for swimming. It’s not to cold to look at a much prettier, without the cover, pool. Most years I had the equipment running *REALLY* early and then took the cover off still pretty early because it was so much nicer that way.

I opened mine first week in May, but having a heater helps. I would not open that early without a heater. The water temperature was 49 degrees when I opened it. That's just way too cold, and no one would get in the pool.
I went in mine at around 60, the third week in May. It looked so pretty and I couldn't stand just LOOKING at it. I will admit I stayed on an air mattress the whole time. But the 75 degree air temps helped it feel warmer...Who am I kidding, it was bracing..but also rewarding having to be able to go in after working on it for 2 weeks since I got it opened.

Sooooooooo... maybe it’s time to actually convert? You work so much harder than the rest of us, and you don’t have the results to show for it. Life is too short to stick to something that makes you unhappy.

Reactions: mguzzy and magiteck
maybe it’s time to actually convert?
Let's see how this season goes. Have never used Line Clean for a full season yet. Second half of last year was quite successful once I started using it. The pool is a piece of cake (in terms of work) compared to trying to be a one-man maintenance crew for several wooded trails associated with a park that closed 7 years ago. LONG complicated story....just google stuff on Kaercher Creek Park. I've been doing the work of what was formerly done by a group of maintenance workers employed by the county. Wish all that was as easy as taking care of the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.