Step by step guidance on balancing water after pool set up

Tkpearson721

May 17, 2020
Virginia
Hello,
I'm completely new to this. I'm preparing to set up a 18x48 Coleman Vista II above ground pool. I've purchased the Taylor K-2006 testing kit, Intex 2,500 filter pump, and Intex skimmer. I've been reading threads on getting started and still don't completely understand my next step after filling the pool with water. Can someone please help?

HI and welcome to TFP!

You already have a test kit? SWEET! This will be so easy for you!!!

First you need to go shopping at Walmart or Lowes:
-CYA aka stabilizer-it may be in a bag or a bottle. It will be by the pool stuff. Get enough for 7600 gals.
-liquid chlorine-Walmart may have it called Pool shock. Do not get the powder stuff in the bags. You want liquid. Get about 5 jugs.

Now test your water you are going to fill the pool with. Share those results here. You many need some muraitic acid but we need the test results to know for sure. Do NOT bother testing for CYA as it has to be added to the water.

Now go here: PoolMath This is where I got your gallons. You are going to LOVE this as it does all of the math for you. It will tell you how much of everything to add!

Hang the CYA in a sock (like you wear) right in front of the return after you use Pool Math to know just how much your pool needs.

Use Pool Math to see how much chlorine to add to get your FC up to 5.

Here is a link to help you learn our pool language: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

I can't wait to see this work of art set up!

Kim:kim:

Test your fill water right now. Then you'll know if you're likely to need any baking soda or borax and you can have them standing by. Don't waste reagents testing FC because any in the tap water will be gone by the time it's full and circulating. Don't test CYA because it will be zero. You could test CH for practice, but there's really no point; low CH is okay in your vinyl pool, and what are you gonna do if it's high -- replace it with more of the same?

You're starting with a clean slate, and if this is from a municipal supply and not a well, the chemistry can be dialed in within an hour. And that's being generous with the mixing times, Pool chemistry is nowhere near as complex and mysterious as pool stores lead people to believe. Just test and dose and in a couple weeks the light bulb will come on and it will suddenly all make perfect sense to you. And then you can be here answering questions.

Test your fill water right now. Then you'll know if you're likely to need any baking soda or borax and you can have them standing by. Don't waste reagents testing FC because any in the tap water will be gone by the time it's full and circulating. Don't test CYA because it will be zero. You could test CH for practice, but there's really no point; low CH is okay in your vinyl pool, and what are you gonna do if it's high -- replace it with more of the same?

You're starting with a clean slate, and if this is from a municipal supply and not a well, the chemistry can be dialed in within an hour. And that's being generous with the mixing times, Pool chemistry is nowhere near as complex and mysterious as pool stores lead people to believe. Just test and dose and in a couple weeks the light bulb will come on and it will suddenly all make perfect sense to you. And then you can be here answering questions.
Thanks so much! I was clueless. I will definitely follow the steps given to move forward.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.