Step-by-step chemical instructions for AG newbie?

Sarah G

Jun 30, 2019
Toronto
Hello! Thank you so much for all this info. Doing 12 foot round AG install myself so really appreciate the help. I have read a lot of the Pool School & downloaded app but am very overwhelmed about chemicals.

Heading to pool supply store today, I have nothing purchased yet. I think this is what I understand so far:
- buy test strips
- buy granular CYA, liquid chlorine, salt and muriatic acid.

Question #1: how much of each??

Then:
- fill pool with hose & test water
- I know what the levels should be because of the app but...

Question #2: then what? Turn pump on? SWG? Add liquid chlorine? Do the sock thing?

Is there anywhere it is written out painfully slowly? I.e. 1. Fill with water 2. Turn on pump 3. Test 4. Add ______ etc.

I'm sure it has been said a million times and I should be able to amalgamate all the wonderful info here but honestly I'm halfway through the physical install and my brain is full.

If someone could direct me to steps or write out a "Steps for Dummies" I promise to pass it on to all brain-overloaded newbies in the future. ?

Ok..I'm pretty new to this also, so I'll tell you what I've learned from this site and by asking people. I use reg bleach from the store. Same stuff as the stuff at the pool store, just lower concentration. You can add that to the pool app and it will tell you how much to add in your pool.
Also, I bought a testing kit off Amazon..the Taylor K-2006. It has been a lifesaver testing my water.
Ok...test water. Look at your CYA level...put that number into the Pool math app...test your alkalinity and PH..add that to your app. Next, check free chlorine..add that to your app. When you put these numbers into the app it will tell you exactly how much of each chemical to add. I only use bleach, borax or baking soda to adjust my pool. So, since my pool water has been crystal clear..I only test free chlorine and the ph daily and adjust as needed. I check the others on Sunday when I'm doing my weekly cleaning. I hope this helps some. Using the Pool Math app seriously has saved my sanity.

Also, I do have muriatic acid also and used it once but probably won't again unless my ph goes berserk. The fumes are so toxic! Of course I opened it outdoors, but sweet mother, its really bad. So, bleach, borax and baking soda is my go to for chemicals.

Is there anywhere it is written out painfully slowly? I.e. 1. Fill with water 2. Turn on pump 3. Test 4. Add ______ etc.

I'm sure it has been said a million times and I should be able to amalgamate all the wonderful info here but honestly I'm halfway through the physical install and my brain is full.

If someone could direct me to steps or write out a "Steps for Dummies" I promise to pass it on to all brain-overloaded newbies in the future. ?

I feel your pain, Sarah. The more times I read the info here and read on google tho, it does start to make more sense (y) .

Hi and SO glad you are here! I am going to stop you on one thing then move on to caring for your pool. Do NOT buy any "guess" strips. They are not worth the time of even putting them in your basket. Look in my siggy below for one of the test kits we endorse. Next after that one is the Taylor 2006C (note the C as it has more regents than the plain 2006).

Now go here: TFPC for Beginners This will help you learn our language.

This should get you started good!

Kim:Kim:

You need pool stabilizer, borax does not adjust your CYA. Chlorine/bleach is used to increase your FC and keep your pool sanitized.

If you have a Walmart or HD close by they sell everything you need and it is much cheaper than the pool store

Baking soda is used to increase your alkalinity
Muriatic acid is used to decrease your PH

Test strips aren’t good, we call them guess strips. Getting your hands on one of the kits we recommend will be difficult in Canada. Hopefully one of the experts here can advise on a proper test kit you can get in Toronto.

• Love
Reactions: Sarah G
Welcome to the forum!
You will find it difficult in Canada to get a proper test kit. I believe some are getting the regular K2006 from Amazon.ca.

Other option is to use a mail drop at a US border town. Have a TF100 shipped to the mail drop and you drive over the border to pick it up.

The only way to drop your CYA level is to remove water then refill..so make sure to test first before you add anything to increase you cya level. If your cya level is too high, then you have to keep your chlorine level higher to keep algae growth at bay. There is a table somewhere on this site that will tell you what your FC level should be according to your CYA level. CYA/FC table. I use regular non scented bleach from Walmart for my chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I feel your pain, Sarah. The more times I read the info here and read on google tho, it does start to make more sense (y) .
Exactly..I read & read this site constantly..but once you figure out your levels and just keep them stable, it really is a lot easier than I thought (knock on wood) I have just kept what everyone has said in my head..use simple chemicals and test every day. I at least test my PH & FC daily.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.