Are there step-by-step instructions on how to drain pool pipes for winter storm freeze?

plays10s

Mar 2, 2022
Carrollton, GA
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Just wondered if there were some step-by-step instructions on draining your pool pipes in case there would be a power outage and freeze. We've gotten down in the single digits before, and I want to be prepared. What pipes do we I drain? I'm very new with our pool. We have a pool pump, filter, salt thing, heater, etc. What all should be drained? How? Also, once storm passes and power comes back on, do I have to put water in anything to restart? I feel like this is overwhelming trying to protect everything when I don't know how. We don't have a surge protector on our panel, and I've looked into that from another member of this group. Hopefully, we can install that soon.

Thanks for any help! I'm really appreciative.

Every pool is different. You need to develop your draining plan based on your pool and equipment.

If you post pics of your equipment pad we can help you think through it. Locate the drain plugs for your pump (there should be two), filter, heater (check the manual).

Read these articles to get you thinking about what needs to be done...

Reactions: Mdragger88
The important thing is to know how to drain your pump, filter and heater. The pump has 2 drain plugs - on each side of the impeller. They are little knobs to unscrew and drain the pump. Can open up the basket cap as well.

The heater has a drain plug near the inlet/outlet pipes. remove and drain.

The filter has a large drain plug at bottom - can be difficult to access so find what is needed to unscrew it now.
Open up the relief valve on top to allow water to drain.

Show pictures of your equipment pad and we can review if there are any valves that need to be closed.

Suggest you have a tarp handy as well to cover the entire pad to keep ice and snow off of it.
See mine below

Equipment Pad with Tarp.jpg

Every pool is different. You need to develop your draining plan based on your pool and equipment.

If you post pics of your equipment pad we can help you think through it. Locate the drain plugs for your pump (there should be two), filter, heater (check the manual).

Read these articles to get you thinking about what needs to be done...

Thank you! I found where to drain most things, but I have a question for draining the heater and the spa (I'm attaching a copy of my pool equipment - please pardon the red mud, it's a new pool). I have a pool pump and then I have another thing that looks like a pool pump but it is attached to a line that says "spa". Do I drain that, too? As far as draining the Pentair heater, do I just unplug the drain and that's it? I don't want anything to crack. Another question, when I turn my pool back on (I am not winterizing, just going to turn it off if we are having sub-freezing weather and I think we may lose electricity), do I put water in both pumps or just leave it and see if it primes on its own? Do you see anything else on my equipment that would need to be drained? Thanks so much! Oh, and I'm ordering a tarp and some waterproof blankets today to have on hand. How did you get your tarp to stay up?
LaDonna

Attachments

• IMG_5968.jpg
    IMG_5968.jpg
    796.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5969.jpg
    IMG_5969.jpg
    715.3 KB · Views: 13
Thank you! I found where to drain most things, but I have a question for draining the heater and the spa (I'm attaching a copy of my pool equipment - please pardon the red mud, it's a new pool). I have a pool pump and then I have another thing that looks like a pool pump but it is attached to a line that says "spa". Do I drain that, too?

You have three pumps. You should remove the two drain plugs on EACH of the pumps to drain them.

As far as draining the Pentair heater, do I just unplug the drain and that's it? I don't want anything to crack.

Winterizing instructions for the Pentair MasteTemp heater are in the manual.

pentair-winterizing-jpg.70285

Another question, when I turn my pool back on (I am not winterizing, just going to turn it off if we are having sub-freezing weather and I think we may lose electricity), do I put water in both pumps or just leave it and see if it primes on its own?

It does not hurt to fill the pump with water and prime it before starting.

Oh, and I'm ordering a tarp and some waterproof blankets today to have on hand. How did you get your tarp to stay up?

That is a @HermanTX question.

Oh, and I'm ordering a tarp and some waterproof blankets today to have on hand. How did you get your tarp to stay up?
I had the advantage that my equipment is up against a wall. I put eye hooks into the brick and then attached the tarp with double hooks (1 to the eye hook and 1 to the tarp). On the bottom, I used a bungy cord to tie it down to a PVC pipe.
You are in a wide open space according to your picture. I would drape a tarp over the equipment and take bungy cords to latch the tarp down.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.