Stenner pump for chlorine. Help with sizing and install ideas

The 100 PSI pump requires the check valve. That's what matters.

It does not require it for our purposes... but it does come with it when bought new.

If the pump is capable of delivering 100psi, I would imagine that it would be MORE than capable of withstanding the minimal back pressures that OUR little pumps deliver in a residential set-up, even WITHOUT the check valve.

The 100 PSI pump requires the check valve. That's what matters.

The 100 PSI pump doesn’t ‘require’ the check valve. Rather
the check valve lets the pump be installed on a high pressure system - up to 100 PSI. Except for the check valve, the 100 PSI and 25 PSI are identical.

Update - talked to my PB to install a Stenner pump (initially he said he could do it) - now sends me an email saying - Since Pentair does not support Stenner pumps I cannot install it either as it is not compatible

I am not a handy person - can anyone suggest any alternative?

Find a new PB!!

This isn’t a very complex project. A handyman who has some basic plumbing and electrical skills should be able to do it if you don’t think you have the skills. You will have to know enough to explain what you want done

Update - talked to my PB to install a Stenner pump (initially he said he could do it) - now sends me an email saying - Since Pentair does not support Stenner pumps I cannot install it either as it is not compatible

I am not a handy person - can anyone suggest any alternative?

What inline chlorinator is the PB recommending?

I've had the Pentair https://www.amazon.com/Pentair-R171096-Rainbow-Automatic-Chlorine/dp/B001DO0QKQ and it was very inconsistent at maintaining chlorine levels.

These Stenner systems are easy to install with a simple timer. Why does he think it's not compatible with Pentair equipment?
Does he work for Pentair? No other reason Pentair would need to support it.

I'm not sure what your PB is talking about with the Pentair and Stenner compatibility. It makes no sense at all.

I have an IAqualink for my automation, but all Pentair equipment. My PB installed my Stenner directly into a relay of the IAqualink box. Everything works fine. Here is a picture of my pad before the pool was completely finished. My PB added an extra 3 ft to my pad so I can set my 30 gallon Stenner tank on. If you look at the black wire going into the bottom of the IAqualink electric box, that is the wire for the Stenner pump. Even if you use Pentair automation, if you have an extra relay, they can tie into that.
IMG_0817.jpg

What's this doohickey... a blower for your spa? I'm jealous!

29769772008_e77ffe8aeb_z.jpg

Like the 30 gal Stenner tank too...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you have a 120V plug close enough to plug to plug in a Stenner pump and a place on your pad, you can put one in. An outdoor/exterior timer would be needed for the Stenner. You can cut the plumbing and put it a 2"slip x 1/4" FPT x 2" slip Tee that will allow you to put the Stenner injector in place, you could also use the Pentair saddle clamp kit https://sunplay.com/collections/pentair-intelliph-parts/products/pentair-saddle-clamp-kit-521512 to use for a Stenner injection point or you could tap the pipe with a 1/4" pipe tap to allow insertion of the Stenner injection point. This should be put in the circuit right before the water returns to the pool.

You could also tell him that you are planning to put in a Pentair IntellipH in the future. Get him to put in an injection port for an IntellipH (he can't argue cause it's a Pentair product). Then tell him you want to put in a plug for installation at a later date. When the PB is gone, put a Stenner and tank there instead. You will already have a place to inject. The IntellipH is a little persistaltic pump with a small tank (too small for a liquid chlorine tank). You would still need to have a 120V outlet at your to plug in the Stenner timer.

Blowout - Yes, that is a blower for the spa. It goes up on the pipe next to it with the cap. This picture was taken before everything was completed.

The 30 gallon Stenner tank is nice. When I bought it, it was on sale for the same price as a 15 gallon tank. That tank is a beast and is huge. It's great because I don't have to bend over when I add bleach or worry about splashing. I usually only keep about 7 gallons in at a time. The other thing is that the pump is 22 gallon/day capacity, so my run time is shorter. About 13 minutes to raise FC up 1 ppm for my pool.

I am totally regretting choosing this PB - any suggestion or request I have is shot down - very difficult to work with (was not like this when we signed the contract) - my major fenestration started after digging the pool he decided that the ground was expansive clay and needed to bring in gravel to compact and add double rebar and a double matte (whatever that means) - blew my budget totally up - now the Stenner - initially when I brought it up he said he had done it in his home and he ripped it out since it was bad - he said he could do it if I wanted - I asked him to price it out for the addition of the Stenner pump with the tank - now he replies by email - "Since Pentair does not support Stenner pumps I cannot install it either as it is not compatible"

Equipment is all Pentair (Easy Touch 4, Screenlogic, Pentair 3HP VS pump, Pentair Inline Chlorinator etc)

My wife acts now as a buffer between me and him since we just end up arguing....problem is we are too far in to fire him - he also has collected 65% of the money

I wish I was handy as you guys but I am worried if I touch something and mess it up....will try to look for a plumber who can do this (will my local Leslie's be able to help in the install?)

Thank you all for responding

Is your plumbing built at this point? If not I would make sure the design has space to allow a ‘T’ to be added before returning to the pool (after all equipment). Also that you will have a relay available on the easytouch.

if you are locked into the PB for now and he’s that uncooperative, theres no reason you cant turn to someone else after the fact. I might stay away from Leslies based on their general reputation of screwing things up but I am sure there are plenty of pool service pros or just general handymen who can do this for you.

iamtexmax - Don't get discouraged. This is an easy fix. I'm not sure how far along you are with your pool build, but if you can be at home when the electrician/plumber is there, they can do it easily for some cash - maybe $20 each. I'm not familiar with Pentair Easy Touch 4, but you need to check out if you have an extra relay to wire your stenner pump into. My electrician just cut off the plug and hard wired it in. (Note: this does void the warranty of the pump, but who cares - it's a cheap to replace) If you don't have an extra relay, ask him to add an electric plug near the stenner tank, if you don't have one already (this might cost more depending on how he has to do it - also you will need a timer, as this will not be tied into the automation.) My iAqualink box actually had an extra plug that I could have used, but it worked out for me with a relay.

As for the piping, ask the plumber to add a tee, some pipe and cap it off. You can see mine circled in the picture below. After my pool was built, I cut the pipe down and added the appropriate fittings for my injection point. If your plumber is done and not around, just locate your return line and tie into it later. You can get a fitting and tap into the line. This is a very easy diy job.
stenner.jpg

Up to you....but give it a try doing it yourself and you might be surprised what you can do. You can do a practice run cutting and gluing scraps of PVC to see if you’re comfortable with it before touching the real plumbing. The materials to practice will cost only $10 - $15.

I couldn’t do a thing a few years ago. At some point I just started searching the internet for how to do...whatever...next thing you know I find myself soldering in new shower valves

Since my wife acts as a buffer b/w PB and me - she sent him a nice email requesting the Stenner pump install - response:
"Here is the issue

1. You cannot monitor it without going outside. No interface to pentair software.
2. I cannot provide a warranty or support for this product
3. It will eat your plaster when it fails and I cannot warrant the damage
4. Pentair does not support it there for I cannot either

So what I am saying ...you can add it after I am done"

I wish I had known about the Stenner before signing a contract (or even choosing a PB) - would have definitely impacted my decision

I plan to get the Stenner installed after he is done - do I need to ask for some specific stuff when he is putting equipment on the pad (electrical etc.) - also how do I know if I need to get a 240v Stenner or a 120v? (do I need to look at the Easy Touch)?​

tex - looks like u sure did pick a winner with that PB!

for electrical - do you know if you will have a relay available on the Easytouch? I dont have automation so I don’t know the details but I believe its easy to wire into a relay. Whether 240 or 120 in that case I don’t know. If you dont have a relay available, well - maybe you want to upgrade to easytouch 8!....but otherwise you can use any standard 120 volt outlet (same as your typical house outlet) and plug a timer into it. I think an auxiliary outlet is generally built into new equipment pads and actually might be built into the easytouch.

for plumbing...just make sure there will be space to install a 1/2 NPT threaded inlet after all equipment (heater filter etc.) and before the return to the pool. There’s more than one way to do this, but here’s a link below to a part which will work on 2” inch PVC.

You can definitely add the T after the fact but its one less thing to do if you can find a way to have PB put it in when he’s building the plumbing. Sounds like hes worries about liability (which is ridiculous) so maybe if you convince him you won’t hold him liable for what you do with the port and have him install with a plug in it??

Good luck

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Spears-402-247-2-x-2-x-1-2-PVC-Sch-40-Threaded-Tee-Socket-x-FIPT

I wanted to add you do not have to have a T installed to make Stenner work. If your PB will not install a T then you can drill and tap a thread for the Stenner injector to go into. It sounds complicated but believe me it is real simple. I hesitated to drill into my new pool plumbing so I practiced on a few spare PVC pipes. You can get the drill and tap at local Lowes or Home Depot. I would stick to the 120v Stenner only because of the simplicity to wire it to automation or just plug it into a outlet. I hooked my Stenner up to a spare plug that is wired to a spare relay in my ET8.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.