Stenner pump for chlorine. Help with sizing and install ideas

They do have that warning, but they also include a weighted suction strainer that goes on the end of the tubing. I let the suction strainer lay right on the bottom of the tank, and haven't had a problem with any buildup at all.

Bama, are you using chlorine or acid?

I’m using the strainer too but it seems to be designed for larger particles. Honestly I’m not sure why tiny particles would be an issue but I do recall the warning even mentioned plastic shavings from drilling holes in the Stenner tank (or maybe I read that on TFP?).

Interesting, my rola-chem instructions just state:

3.4 Place the suction tubing in the chemical container with the weight lying on its side. Thiswill keep the end of the suction tubing off the bottom to allow for sediment.

so yeah I just lay the weight on the bottom on it's side, the tube is probably 1/2" or 3/4" off the bottom of the tank.

The tubing is proprietary to Stenner. The size selection determines flow rate. You’re not going to use vinyl tubing from Home Depot in the pump so no need to worry about the specs

Maybe I should call them then. When you buy it, it gives you the option to select 1/4 or 3/8 in either standard or Black UV. But listed next to the first option of 1/4 it is called out as standard. So I suppose that is the number 2 size.

I am going off the link listed on the first page of this thread.

Ahhh... now I know what you are talking about!

I use the 1/4 size tubing to draw from my tank, and feed to the pool.

I really don't see the need for 3/8 in our systems

- - - Updated - - -

we all thought you were talking about the tubing inside the Stenner itself.

:hammer:

- - - Updated - - -

If your pump is going to be outside, you are going to want the black, if it is going to be all indoors, the standard will do you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There are two sets of tubing. The tubing inside the pump determines flow rate. This is the tubing labeled #2. There is another set of tubing to draw from the chemical tank to the pump and then from the pump to the pool plumbing. For chlorine, the 1/4 inch selection is fine. Get the black UV protected 1/4 inch for outdoor use.

So how long does this tubing last. Does it need changed anually? And since there is a check valve on the injection side I assume my pool wont drain out if the stenner blows a hose on the pressure side. My pump is located down hill. Just want to make sure I am clear on what I am getting myself into.

I can take my Stenner out to replace the roller tube, or do general maintenance, and don't turn the pool pump off to do it, have never had it leak.
I had the clear tube delivered with the pump I bought, it worked for the first year, I replaced it with the black before pool season last year... it is still going strong for me.

I just installed my Stenner so I can’t speak from experience. But I’ve read you can expect to need to change the pump tube every year or two. Not sure about the tubing to/from the pump but it might save a blowout to change annually.

The check valve can help in case of a blowout but I don’t think its foolproof.

Ive had my Stenner up about a month and love it. Much better than manual dosing every night

Then I can only assume the stenner gives you a break on the week days but on the weekend when the pool gets the most use you would still have to manually add to compensate for bather load. However with the 7 day programmable timer. After figuring it out you could turn up the run time on saturday and sunday...... Seems like a lot of options for ease of use.

The timer I use for it has an additional count down timer that I have set to an additional 15 minutes... If I test my water, and find it to be a bit low, I hit a button, and the pump runs for 15 minutes, then turns off. I don't touch the bleach unless I am refilling the supply tank. I can work the system in my Sunday Finest, and not worry about spilling a drop of bleach anywhere.

I have a very simple spreadsheet for my Stenner pump. The numbers at the top are variables. Put your own numbers in and the spreadsheet with calculate the run times for each level of chlorine.

Attachments

• Stenner Calibration.zip
    8.2 KB · Views: 93
Here's what I ended up doing. The "system" is in my basement. My only regret is that I didn't do it earlier.

New Stenner pump/Plumbing

Timer:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006LYHG42/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tank:

ULINE - Shipping Boxes, Shipping Supplies, Packaging Materials, Packing Supplies

Pump:

45MPHP10 - Buy Stenner pumps chemical feeders - $230.00

In terms of tying it in to the plumbing - I used this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009F3JSLK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Some people just drill a hole on an elbow in their existing plumping and tap threads into it but since I was having my plumbing redone I just went w a new PVC piece that already had a threaded opening. An elbow is the best place to do the drilling if you go that route because the PVC tubing is thicker there.

Hope this helps.

I purchased the timer and pump. Thinking of being cheap and using a 5 gallon bucket with a good lid as the tank. Ill let you know how the install goes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.