Stenner liquid chlorine pump - How to choose and install

I too assumed you are just using the Stenner for convenience and it would not change any of the FC/CYA recommendations.
Would be interesting if that's not the case.
Purely speculating here, but perhaps the reasoning could be that with a single addition of chlorine once a day you need to account for the sun breaking down some percentage of the chlorine before the next dose and therefore need higher amounts to avoid dropping to zero. If you are instead injecting regularly throughout the day perhaps you could have lower overall FC without the risk of dropping to zero since there is a regular infusion?
I don't see how higher CYA would play into it though - if anything I'd guess you'd use lower CYA in that scenario. Again, just thinking out loud, I don't know this to be the case.

Reactions: amin36
Since I got a variable speed pump, it runs all the time at a slow speed. I only increase the speed a couple of hours for filtration. My Stenner timer (lamp timer) has 8 programming sequences. I am adding chlorine 8 times a day or once every 3 hours. I changed the size of the pump tubing and recalibrated. It now puts about 2ppm in 60 minutes of run time. 8 minutes of Stenner time 8 times per day is 64 minutes. So I'm adding slightly over 2ppm each day at the moment.

In terms of the FC/CYA ratio, theoretically it would be more like a salt water chlorine generator putting in chlorine a lot more often. It might be possible to go with the lower salt water generator FC/CYA ratio but I have not done that. I have a algae phobia and don't want to see any.

Last edited:
Reactions: amin36
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.