Stenner liquid chlorine pump - How to choose and install

bflauaus

Apr 16, 2018
Spring
Has anyone here repurposed their puck feeder to inject chlorine bleach? I have a Pentair Rainbow Model 320. It seems feasible that a injection point could be added between the dial/controller and the body of the unit. Has anyone attempted this modification?

colonelkirby

Silver Supporter
Mar 20, 2017
DFW - Plano, TX
Has anyone here repurposed their puck feeder to inject chlorine bleach? I have a Pentair Rainbow Model 320. It seems feasible that a injection point could be added between the dial/controller and the body of the unit. Has anyone attempted this modification?
The inline model's body can be unscrewed from its T-fitting. I then re-purposed the T to attach the Stenner injection point. There is one gotcha though, there is a set screw in the vertical T component. Feel around under the feeder body to find it. Remove it before you unscrew the body so you don't wreck the threads.

Attachments

JoyfulNoise

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
May 23, 2015
Tucson, AZ
This is generally not suggested by TFP. Accidentally mixing bleach and trichlor can cause the buildup and release of chlorine gas and/or cause an explosive condition. If one were to modify the puck feeder in a non-obvious way to inject bleach and another individual was unaware of the modification, that person could be exposed to a very dangerous condition. It might be a low probability event, but modifying a product in any way voids the manufacturer’s warranty and liability and shifts all responsibility and liability to the person that modified it.

Basically, use a saddle clamp and find a different injection point OR remove the puck feeder altogether.

Reactions: Arizonarob

jwfrank

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 14, 2008
Todi, Umbria, Italy
Please forgive me if this has been answered. I am buying a replacement solenoid dosing pump for liquid chlorine injection. From years of experience, I know that I regularly use between 1 liter and 1.25 liters PER DAY to keep my free chlorine level at 2-3ppm which is fine for my pool. My question has to do with the SIZING of the dosing pump. My circulation pump runs 8 hours per day in 4 intervals. My old dosing pump runs on a timer which is activated when the circulation pump turns on . I control the amount of chlorine added by how long I have the dosing pump running, usually 1 to 2 minutes for each circulation pump interval. My question is which of the following models would be best to choose as a replacement. The 0110 model is closest to what I am replacing but since the circulation pump operates at a low bar, I am wondering whether the 0607 might be better suited. The dosing pump models shown can be adjusted to lower the “strokes” which would reduce the amount injected per “run”. (PS I live in Italy and hence the liters/hour etc.). I know that most of the models shown (on the left side of the graph) would work, but which would be best? Many thanks for your advice

Attachments

Steve_in_C

Bronze Supporter
Jul 6, 2017
Kinston, NC
Please forgive me if this has been answered. I am buying a replacement solenoid dosing pump for liquid chlorine injection. From years of experience, I know that I regularly use between 1 liter and 1.25 liters PER DAY to keep my free chlorine level at 2-3ppm which is fine for my pool. My question has to do with the SIZING of the dosing pump. My circulation pump runs 8 hours per day in 4 intervals. My old dosing pump runs on a timer which is activated when the circulation pump turns on . I control the amount of chlorine added by how long I have the dosing pump running, usually 1 to 2 minutes for each circulation pump interval. My question is which of the following models would be best to choose as a replacement. The 0110 model is closest to what I am replacing but since the circulation pump operates at a low bar, I am wondering whether the 0607 might be better suited. The dosing pump models shown can be adjusted to lower the “strokes” which would reduce the amount injected per “run”. (PS I live in Italy and hence the liters/hour etc.). I know that most of the models shown (on the left side of the graph) would work, but which would be best? Many thanks for your advice
Not being familiar with solenoid dosing pumps, I assume that you can set it down with a timer or some type of control. The lowest value listed for the models on your data sheet shows 1 liter / hour. Since your usage is 1-1.25 liters per day, I would think that the lowest volume model would work. But it's all dependent on the controls that you have. If you set this up, let us know how it works,, costs, etc..