Stenner EconT / Liquidator hybrid install ..........

waterl0gged

May 12, 2014
Central PA
SO, I have been thinking of converting to a Stenner system for a while now , even though I am using a working Liquidator . Why ? Read on ............
BTW, Thanks to Regnar , for the little bit of encouragement / push I needed to just do it , and with a newer Stenner model , the EconT which has a built in timer in this thread ......... https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/139410-Stenner-Econ-T
The Liquidator has performed well for ME for 3 years now , and yes ............it does work , although its not perfect . The reason for the change/upgrade to a Stenner are due to a few reasons which has always bothered me about the Liquidator . I am using the C201, 8 gallon model with the 3/8 upgrade . I am not here to bash the Liquidator . It has performed well for me for 3 years, I was just looking for better options ............hence the Stenner upgrade .
Cons for the Liquidator -
1 . Scale build up . Yes its not a myth . The Liquidator does build up lots of sodium hypochlorite scale . I think its due to the constant flow and mixing with pool water ? But I am not a chem expert ! I will say it really hasnt given me much trouble, but the scale is there, builds up on all the parts and tank and the does need periodic cleaning.
2. FAILING parts . I have , in three years replaced ALL of the parts , minus the tank . Some parts more than twice . The sodium hyperclorite is just too harsh for any of the components that contact the feed water . They are destined to become brittle and fail . Its not IF they will fail , its just HOW LONG will they last before they fail and need replacement. I found it necessary to keep every single part on hand as a spare . Yep, every single part minus the tank . Roughly $100. per year for the complete replacement parts kit. This year, I decided to put that $100. towards a Stenner !
3. HARD to keep adjusted . Its very hard to keep a precise , steady flow of sodium hypochlorite . The adjustment valve is very vague , and made it difficult to keep a consistent FC level . I was always close, but grew tired of weekly "hope I got it right this time" adjustments. A pinch valve may have helped that , but I decided just to go the Stenner route instead.
4 . Pump LOSES prime .............every day . Just by nature of the Liquidator system and all of its 1 way valves and floats allows air to be introduced into the system . Every time the pump shuts down , in a short amount of time , the Liquidator tank will siphon liquid back out until the return float drops enough to allow air into the system to break the Liquidator siphon . I HATE this part . I was tired of the pump having to re-prime itself every time the pump started which in turn rushes a huge amount of air through the sytem . EVERY TIME ! I just want the pump to kick on without all the air going through the system , sand filter , heater etc .

I decided going the Stenner route , but I will be "re-purposing" my Liquidator "TANK" as a storage vat for the Stenner .
I went with a relatively newer and untested Stenner model , the EconT . I decided on the E20T4G model . 12.3 gallons per day , or 1/2 gallon per hour. Makes it easy to figure the amount of sodium hypochlorite dispensed per hour . It is the 80psi 120v model and has an integral timer . These Stenner models can be purchased for a little over $200 . and include everything , even a spare santoprene tubing set for the pump . Ebay is about the only place to find these new pumps inexpensively . If you want to pay full blow retail price (which is approx $400.+) , there are very few online dealers who carry it.

Anyway .................here is the install .................. with pics !
Got my EconT installed yesterday with no issues whatsoever .
Was very easy to install , which in my case included removing all of my "Liquidator" plumbing (except the tank) .
All the mechanics for the pool are located in a pump house which fully enclosed to keep everything (except the heatpump pool heater) out of sight and OUT of the weather including the hot sun to keep everything cool.
I "re-purposed" my "Liquidator" tank as a vat for the Stenner system . I figured that I already had it, and it was already suitable for sodium hypochlorite use , plus it fit exactly in the small footprint I had to work with since it was already in use as a "Liquidator" .
First , I set up the Liquidator on full flow a day earlier to empty the small amount of sodium hypochlorite that was still left in it, so I wouldn't have to deal with bleach getting all over . Next I shut down the whole system , and completely removed the "Liquidator" plumbing . The two ports that the liquidator used as feed and dispense in my 1 1/2 " plumbing, I tapped out for 1/4 npt and installed plastic plugs to block them off. I then completely cleaned out the liquidator tank which has been in use for 3 years ...........LOTS of scale in it !!! I was able to acquire 2 rubber plugs to block off the liquidator tank holes , and used one of the plugs as a location to feed in the Stenner line . Got the tank all done, and installed the Stenner weighted pick up and line in the tank . Installed the Stenner Econ T on the wall next to and higher than the feed tank (original liquidator tank) . Also its conveniently located next to a GFCI outlet in the pump house which also feeds the exterior pool lighting control unit . Then installed a 1 1/2" T that had a small threaded opening on the "t" port. I did need to use an adapter to go down from 3/4" npt on the "t" , to the 1/2" npt (also has 1/4" npt option) Stenner injection check valve assy . I installed the T at the tail end of my system after the pump, filter and heater , but right before the main return split off to my 3 returns for the pool . Set the liquidator tank in place, and finished all the Stenner plumbing hook -ups . Filled the tank with 10 gallons 8.25% bleach , and marked the tank after every gallon so I could more easily keep track of sodium hypochlorite usage , and when it needs to be filled.

Install went very easy and I think it took me about 2 hours total just taking my time and making sure the install went off without a hitch .
Everything works perfect, and now I just need to dial the Stenner in over the next week to get it perfect .

Here are some pictures of my install ..............

BEFORE , with the "Liquidator" still running .

After ........... Stenner installation using the liquidator tank .

(Sorry, I left the CYA sock in the picture ! I am sure TFP members knew what it was for already ! ,lol )

Stenner pick-up inside liquidator vat ............

Injection valve installation and location .......

Stenner EconT on wall of pump house ..........

Liquidator vat for Stenner with reference markers .........

Shot of my enclosed pump house ..............behind the "hidden" door of the TIKI BAR ! Above it is our pool bath /shower house and changing area .

Shot of the pool that the Stenner will be in charge of , lol ! Just installed a new liner this season . Pics above and below the waterline ........... THANKS TFP !!!! As you can see , the pool is crystal clear !!!

This shot is underwater , with an i-phone and a 36' view into the deep end .

Hope this helps someone . Any questions ? Just ask, and I will try to answer to the best of my ability .
Will be posting some reviews once in a while on this thread to let everyone know how this new Stenner EconT pump is holding up .

Reactions: GDN
Trial run today , and everything worked perfectly and as intended . Pump kicked on with no air in the system (like when the liquidator was installed) . I set-up the Stenner to turn on about 30 minutes after the pool pump is running for the day. Stenner ran for 1 hour, exactly as I programed , and then shut off . According to the reference markers I put on the vat, the Stenner pumped exactly 1/2 gallon of sodium hyperclorite (aka bleach) into the pool , the exact same amount it is rated for . Pool pump is on for a 4 1/2 hour cycle per day .
I started out this morning with a FC reading of 3 ppm . Close to the low end for my CYA after yesterdays manual bleach addition guess and overnight loss . My CYA is 40 . After the pump mixes the bleach for a little while longer I will test FC tonight again and see where we stand , and adjust from there . Would like to shoot for a FC of about 5-6 , and hoping for a daily drop of only about 1-2 FC .
I am trying to keep the FC as low as I can while still being in the proper parameters . My sons fiancee has allergies to pool chlorine , so trying to keep it on the low side for her . So far she has been pretty good in our pool compared to others .
Will come back with some FC reading a little later on ...........

Stenner appears to be dead on accurate . Ran it for 1 hour . This Stenner EconT model# E20T4G ir rated for .51 gallon per hour , or 12.3 gallons per day .

Bleach vat before 1 hour Stenner run time .........

Bleach vat after 1 hour Stenner run time .........

Just tested for FC, and got a reading of 6ppm FC . SO , 3 ppm before Stenner run time, and 6ppm after Stenner run time. Pretty solid numbers . 3ppm rise from 1/2 gallon of 8.25% bleach .
I am thinking I need to dial back the Stenner just a little bit , so I maintain a 6 ppm FC towards the upper limit (CYA 40) . That is factoring in a 2 ppm FC loss over a 24hour period. Will have to see if that holds true .
It will be a week of tinkering with the Stenner adjustments to get it exactly where I want it . Its already close. Going to leave it set the same for another day to see if I over shoot 6 ppm after tomorrows dose . That will help me see what my 24 hour FC drop is .

So far , I am thrilled with the addition of the new Stenner .
Working exactly as intended with no guess work ,and ridding my self of some of the Liquidator shortcomings.
Highly recommended !

That was a nice write up, I have no doubt it will help people down the road. When you are dialing in, keep the weather in mind. Often during cloudy days, I cut run times short so I don't overshoot FC targets.

I hope you will keep everyone updated on how the Econ model performs long term.

Very nice, thanks for the photos!!

That was a nice write up, I have no doubt it will help people down the road. When you are dialing in, keep the weather in mind. Often during cloudy days, I cut run times short so I don't overshoot FC targets.

I hope you will keep everyone updated on how the Econ model performs long term.

Thanks !

Yes, will keep an eye changing temps and bather loads. Cloud cover , I didnt think about , thanks !

I will try to update every once in a while so we can all see if and how these new EconT pumps work out for the long haul .
So far , it has been perfect .

OK, quick FC test before the pool pump and Stenner kick on for the day .
Yesterday a few hours after the Stenner ran a 1/2 gallon dose of 8.25% into the pool we were at 6ppm FC..........up from 3 ppm before the pumps kicked on .

Today , just before the pool pump and Stenner turn on we are back down to 3ppm FC . SO a drop of 3ppm in a 24hour period. Little more that I was hoping for, but a few factors that may have increased our FC consumption might have been .............
Pool was open all day yesterday , full sun and about 95 degrees .
Pool is heated to a consistent 88 degrees .
We did some swimming yesterday throughout the day and last night .
Pool was opened this morning , and already full sun and we are up to about 90 already .

I guess thats not too much FC loss considering the conditions . 3ppm FC loss in a 24 hour period with higher use, 88 deg. pool , sunny and hot conditions .

I am going to leave the Stenner exactly where it is for now and see how we do with FC . It will run 1 hour today and dose 1/2 gallon of 8.25% again. I am thinking we will end up at 6ppm FC once again after its all mixed up a few hours after dosing , just like yesterday .

Will follow up later tonight ............

Well, about 1 week since my Stenner install , and I have it dialed in pretty good already .
On my Stenner EconT model E20T4G , the rated output is .51 gallons per 60 minutes . To make it easier for adjustment, thats 1.09oz per minute . I have it set at 75 minutes or 1 1/4 hours a day . My pump output at 75 minutes is 81.75 oz of 8.25% sodium hypochlorite per day. SO , somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 of a gallon of 8.25% a day. Not too bad for a 25,000 gallon "TFP" pool .
AT a CYA level of 40 , I am pretty consistently drifting between 4 and 6 PPM FC levels. 4ppm for a 24 hour low before the Stenner kicks on for the day , and about 6 ppm approx. an hour or two after the Stenner has run its cycle for the day and the pool pump mixes things up a bit. I am happy with those numbers . I was hoping for slightly better that a 2ppm FC loss for a 24 hour time frame , but I can live with 2ppm .
Will continue to monitor the FC levels and adjust if I have too, but for now, its pretty much rock solid.
I will be checking on pump function with the integrated timer to make sure the EconT model Stenner holds up for the long haul.
So far , it has been perfect . Looks like this may just be the perfect Stenner pump for those who are not running a fully automated pool control system and would just prefer the built in timer right on the Stenner pump.

I am glad I made the switch from a Liquidator to a Stenner.
The Stenner is VERY consistent , where as the Liquidator was pretty vague , and really hard to keep dialed in for ANY length of time.
The Stenner is ROCK SOLID ...........thats pretty much it !
The EconT is a winner in my book, so far ............

Sounds good, love a challenge, so I am trying to get my homemade liquidator to function as I intend for now. What is the difference between the Econ t E20T4G and E102TB, I found the latter on Amazon and wonder what the difference is as I am keeping my options open on this pump and eyes and ears open. We will see if my homemade liquidator can keep up this week as we will be around 116 F this week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sounds good, love a challenge, so I am trying to get my homemade liquidator to function as I intend for now. What is the difference between the Econ t E20T4G and E102TB, I found the latter on Amazon and wonder what the difference is as I am keeping my options open on this pump and eyes and ears open. We will see if my homemade liquidator can keep up this week as we will be around 116 F this week.

The EconT E20T4G is the one I am using , its the pump ratings that is different between models .

E20T4G - 80psi , 12.3 gallons per day , 0.51 gallons per hour , 1.09 oz per minute . Injection check valve included with 80psi models .

E10T2b - 25psi , 8.5 gallons per day , 0.35 gallons per hour , 0.76 oz per minute . Just a flow valve in included with 25 psi models (no one way check valve)

http://stenner.com/products/pumps/econ-t-series#boxtab4

It all depends on how much you want that pump to run every day . I got one that flows a lot , so the pump doesnt run as much . Hopefully it will help the longevity of the pump .
The E20T4G seemed the easiest to calculate how much was injected because its roughly 1/2 gallon per hour , and just over 1 oz per minute.
Mine is running for 1 1/4 hours a day . Wouldnt want one any less than that that would run for hours a day . The only pro would be that the chlorine would be dispensed much slower and potentially keep the FC target more steady .

Where did you obtain your pump, sounds like you have done your research. I like convenience of Amazon but would not use them exclusively.

Ebay .........
There are very few online vendors selling these EconT Stenner pumps, and only 2 on Ebay.
The one I purchased from (and other TFP members) goes by the user name "dpumpdoctor" on Ebay. They are also the cheapest, and they have a "make offer" spot, so you can get it a bit cheaper than listed price. I paid $215 for my E20T4G.
I am happy with the model E20T4G I decided on . Wouldnt want a slower one, or one with less output pressure .
These pumps come with just about everything you need for install including all the tubing , injection port , spare santoprene tubing set , etc.
Really a good value , once you can get past all the Liquidator shortcomings. Wish I would have went with a Stenner pump before I purchased a Liquidator a few years ago. At least I was able to reuse the Liquidator vat for my Stenner install , so not a total waste !!! :D

You know I was just thinking about that, I would have 40 gallon capacity in my resevoir anyway. And what about maybe leaving a layer of water on top of chlorine in your liquidator vat, I wonder if any benefit would be achieved from that. Like maybe a buffer to keep it away from oxygen?

Just bumping this up to the top for anyone who is wondering about a Stenner pump system installation .
This has been rock solid for me for a few seasons now , also put one on my hot tub as well . They just plain work .......with little to no trouble . (still have to lug around liquid chlorine once in a while though !)

Yes, there are alternatives to an SWG !

Reactions: jdlangley1
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.