States with the largest amount of new builds

Is Texas the hotspot for pool building or does it just seem this way?
Between BBQ and gun ranges, that's what we like to do. Ha! Well, we're a big state, you already know that, so that helps. We have great weather across most of the state 9-10 months out of the year, so that helps too. There have also been a tremendous amount in people moving to Texas the past several months which could be another factor. Big state, hot weather, big backyards ..... time to put in a a watering hole. :swim:

Basically what was said above. Long swimming season, lots of people in general, lots of new people and lots of covid cabin fever make this a hotspot for pools. There are 6 houses on my street. 5 of them have put in pools or are in progress this year. Myself included.

Reactions: BigPapaSmurf
Most definitely, if anyone has a great pool builder recommendation for the Austin-Round Rock-Pflugerville area, please send them my way. I've reached out to several members already.
Most pool companies are so busy, one told me they weren't available for a consultation until May 2022 and most seem unwilling to work with you unless the budget is over 125K. o_O

Reactions: BigPapaSmurf
AZ is in the running too. There are so many pools being built in our neighborhood. We built ours at just the right time. I have friends waiting so long to get theirs done. I was talking to a friend last night who is at rebar stage. Her builder said the only timeline he could give her was that she’d be swimming by next summer.

Population growth is going to be a huge driver as well. According to the census, the top growing metro areas from 2010 and 2020 are:

Gaining at least 1.2 million people in the last decade:
1. Dallas/Fort Worth, TX
2. Houston, TX
3. Newark/Jersey City, NY-NJ-PA

Gaining at least 1.0 million people in the last decade:
4. Grand Rapids, MI
5. Tucson, AZ
6. Honolulu, HI
7. Tulsa, OK
8. Fresno, CA

If you overlay the growth info above, with pool-loving climates, it certainly supports pool booms in TX and AZ. While NV didn't make the list above for metro areas, they have grown 15% as a state in the last decade as well and are likely in the mix for a pool building boom.

Source:

We have some pretty small yards in our area and people manage to get a pool. We don’t have huge setbacks though, only 5’ from the fence, so that may be a factor that allows them to fit them in here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We have some pretty small yards in our area and people manage to get a pool. We don’t have huge setbacks though, only 5’ from the fence, so that may be a factor that allows them to fit them in here.

Not on these lots. My daughter's house (she is selling) is 2200 sq. ft. on a 3050 sq. ft. lot. Her backyard is about 15'x25'.

Seems like people from Texas are posting more compared to people in other states. Is Texas the hotspot for pool building or does it just seem this way?

Just from my observations on this forum it seems like they also cost alot more in TX than here in Fla. Supply and demand I guess.

Where we are there is a 14 foot utility easement. For inside lots, that's 7 feet each for shared property lines. For perimeter lots, the whole 14 feet of their back yard is unavailable for pool or anything permanent, like concrete decking, for example. We're on an inside lot on a corner, plus our house is two stories. A perimeter lot with a large footprint one story may end up with ten feet between their back door and the easement, plus building code here is six feed minimum between the home foundation and a pool--so those with a one story on the perimeter may have four feet available for a pool. Our last house was like that...and it protected me from a pool for 26 years. When we looked to move, space for a pool was my wife's number one concern.

Reactions: Nikilyn
Speaking as someone who just signed for a pool build in a Houston suburb, I'll say the main factors were:
  • We have a great **pool** weather season - I would not describe the weather in Houston as great in any other context lol
  • Even though we have a community pool right across the street within walking distance, it's still an "event" to get everything packed up and toted over. Add on COVID and there's nothing like stepping out into the privacy of your own backyard and jumping in the pool after mowing the lawn. Plus you only have your own pee to deal with :ROFLMAO:
  • Don't like smelling like chlorine after coming out of the community pool
  • We live in a nicer neighborhood and pools are highly sought after here. I'd say 60% of the homes in our subdivision have pools (large wide 120' lots with flat backyards). While we're not expecting it to increase our home value (except for property tax purposes, grr), we do think it gives us a competitive advantage if we ever sell.

Speaking as someone who just signed for a pool build in a Houston suburb, I'll say the main factors were:
  • We have a great **pool** weather season - I would not describe the weather in Houston as great in any other context lol
  • Even though we have a community pool right across the street within walking distance, it's still an "event" to get everything packed up and toted over. Add on COVID and there's nothing like stepping out into the privacy of your own backyard and jumping in the pool after mowing the lawn. Plus you only have your own pee to deal with :ROFLMAO:
  • Don't like smelling like chlorine after coming out of the community pool
  • We live in a nicer neighborhood and pools are highly sought after here. I'd say 60% of the homes in our subdivision have pools (large wide 120' lots with flat backyards). While we're not expecting it to increase our home value (except for property tax purposes, grr), we do think it gives us a competitive advantage if we ever sell.
Completely Agee about the community pool. We have one too but it is way too much work to get there. When we did, I felt like we needed to stay for a while because of the effort. Ours also is closed quite a bit because someone 💩 in the pool. We we’re also limited on guests to 2 so there were no family swim parties. A real bummer.

If central California were its own state, we would definitely be at the top of the running. At least 4 out of 5 houses in my neighborhood have pools lol.

Well, let me jump in, pun intended, to the conversation. Las Vegas is just expanding tremendously. My development just completed the last house and closed the gates. Our pool completed March 1st, and immediately around us, at least, there are 6 pools.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.