Startup SWG chlorinator salt for new pool

I would think the missing ozone and increased UV would be harder on FC. But that, too, doesn't matter. Testing the FC will reveal the loss, adjusting the SWG will account for it. You might go through your SWG faster, but that doesn't affect the FC/CYA relationship. We think. That, too, doesn't really matter. Remember, these guidelines are guidelines. If you find that because of your pool, or your swimmer load or your location or your sun exposure of Uncle Sal peein' in the pool, that you need a little more CYA to offset the FC loss, then you add a little more CYA. If that helps, then you have your own FC/CYA formula customized for your pool. If it's 10 more than TFP says it should be, so be it. The opposite is also true. If you try a little less CYA one year and FC is maintained as usual, then you can use a little less than the rest of us. You don't have to drive yourself nuts with TFP numbers, or any of our advice, you only have to keep your pool good-to-go, and that's best done by you doing what works for you and your pool.
all i said was check fc at end of day,

Reactions: Dirk
The last I heard, Fiesta is running his SWG. If that's still true, he should use the SWG portion of the chart.
yes im running the swg, but as i explained in my newby wisdom i am not confident with my cya test result yet, at this point i think its 40, and 40 is not even on the swg chart, ok so i know raise the cya to 70, but im not ready or confident enough to do that until i run more cya tests in good sunlight, when i am solid on the test , i will add cya slowly to get to the cya70, but until i do i thought just keep it at FC5 which is 40 on the non swg chart...just temporary till i confirm cya test , bottom line i am just being careful no rush to get cya up to 70...hey listen to me like i know what im doing ha laughing now....

no good if 5.6 in the morning but drops to 2 at 7pm
ok i will check FC late afternoon too, i am understanding that overnight it gets fully loaded then as swg is off during day its getting burnt off and swimmers in pool etc , so i need to make sure its not getting burnt off too much every day, i figure when i get my cya test complete i will add more stabilize to get to the 70 point as on the swg chart,

so heres the plan....70 needs 3 minimum target 5, so if i target 5 for overnight swg , and i check first thing in morning and FC tests to 5 i am good to start the day , but i need to watch to see if it drops below the minimum 3 FC before late arvo/ nightfall, i guess a super hot day or whatever might make it drop below minimum, but if it holds above 3 on most days then my 5 target overnight is good

if its dropping below 3 regularly then i will raise the overnight swg target to 6, and check during the day it holds 3 or above...and so on, till i get the right overnight target to keep the day FC minimum or above during the day.......this is all so i can run everything at night during off peak power rates, how that sound , am i on track ?

I wouldn't play around with a strategy that allowed your FC to get down to 3. You should never let your FC get anywhere near your minimum, especially when you're still learning your pool and its thresholds. Make 5 your minimum and adjust your SWG to make sure you're making enough at night to never get below 5 at any point during the day/night (not 3).

OK, I gotta admit, this is getting a bit old. We seem to be circling the drain. 10 days ago you said you dosed for 80 but could only test 50. Now you're down to 40? Let's get this done. You could have invented the CYA test by now. Trust your testing. Add enough CYA to get up to 60. Run the pump 24/7 for a few days. Retest, then add the rest to get to 70.

Keep your FC at 5 or above, 24/7. Get your CYA up to 70 instead of just writing about it. Otherwise, you're next going to be asking for help with an algae outbreak.

What? Too mean? 😧

Make 5 your minimum and adjust your SWG
ok i get that point 5 minimum.....the 80 dose as said in a more recent post was a mistake on my part, thinking i added 2.8kg where it was probably 1.7kg which is closer to the 40 i am testing now, it was all a bit , no a lot confusing in the first week or 2 , i never owned a pool, 1 month ago never ever heard of cya or FC or CH or TA or whatever comes next....if u ask me about vintage guitars or muscle cars im your man, but pool stuff is a whole new world to me....but thanks to you and the rest i am learning s#*t loads ! .....i will try and lay low for a spell :giggle:

Can you get a hold of CYA granules? Measure out enough to get you to 60 and put that amount into a sock. Get in the pool with the sock in hand and walk around the pool while squeezing the sock. Do that until the sock is empty. That'll broadcast the CYA right into the pool water and you should be able to test for that in a day or two. Keep the pump running for now, 24/7, doesn't have to be high RPMs.

Last edited:
ok i get that point 5 minimum.....the 80 dose as said in a more recent post was a mistake on my part, thinking i added 2.8kg where it was probably 1.7kg which is closer to the 40 i am testing now, it was all a bit , no a lot confusing in the first week or 2 , i never owned a pool, 1 month ago never ever heard of cya or FC or CH or TA or whatever comes next....if u ask me about vintage guitars or muscle cars im your man, but pool stuff is a whole new world to me....but thanks to you and the rest i am learning s#*t loads ! .....i will try and lay low for a spell :giggle:
I get it. It's a bit nerve wracking and can be overwhelming. I remember feeling the same way. But you're doing fine and you just need to trust yourself a bit more.

Reactions: FIESTA62

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nice! Mine were my work horses. Toured with them, so not pristine. My Sunburst looks to be in a bit better shape than yours, but the backs are all trashed from my belt buckle, of all things. It's much younger than yours. Pretty sure the electronics and guard are all stock (that's where the money is, right?). I had to do the frets and the keys so it would play and stay in tune, so I don't know what that does to the value. My blondie was probably stripped and refinished. Also original electronics and guard. But that one's got the better story. Bought it off a little ol' lady in Idaho for $250. I pictured her son coming home to discover it gone and freaking out. And she's all "I told you years ago to get it out of my closet! So I sold it yesterday!" By then I was in the next state... sorry dude. But lesson learned. I have what they're worth in my will so my daughter doesn't just give them away!

Reactions: markayash
original finish is the main thing, refinish them and its over for that guitar in the collector scene.....would u know john hussenstam by chance?
No. I've been assuming the guard is worth some money, for the pickups and pots. I was going to get them to that shop in the US (southeast somewhere) and get them appraised, but haven't yet. I'd have to look up the name of the place. I know little about values, or how to tell about the finish or guards. Most of their value is in my head, truth be told!

Hmm, just did a little reading. The Sunburst has the transition logo and a serial number that starts with L. So maybe 64 or 65? The other has the spaghetti logo and maybe 60 or 61. I've never had the neck off or checked the pot numbers...

Sorry, probably gotta get back to pool business!

That's cool... Strat collectors! I bet if you post a thread in the coffee bar you'll get lots of other chiming in! You would be amazed at how eclectic the membership is here!
Coming in to the thread and read the last few post. Just wanted to say I played the low FC game when I first installed mine and battled algae a few times. Raised it to 7 and never looked back, water still feels smooth and no odor. Really no downside to raising it :)
You are absolutely right! as long as you stay below the SLAM threshold and keep your CYA/FC percentage at the recommended level you are gold!

Reactions: FIESTA62

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.