Starting to look better...but.

Lack of CC doesn’t mean lack of algae. Presence of CC shows a problem but every problem doesn’t mean CCs.

Keep up the brushing and vacuuming. Make sure to check for any hidden areas and scrub out those light niches. Skimmer throats and weir doors, ladders, steps, all are places people have found algae hiding.

Reactions: setsailsoon
My numbers would be all wrong if I calculated my pool volume incorrectly, right? Is there an easy way to calculate it?
Predictions of Pool Math can be off if volume is incorrect but of course test results are independent of volume. If your test results are consistently different than projected and by the same amount your pool volume could be off. You can adjust the pool volume in Pool Math until it predicts the right amount. Make sure you test right after (30-60 min) adding chemical and you know you don't have an algae infestation. There are a number of pool volume calculators online. The one on Pentair's website is pretty good.

Chris

Alright, I gave it my best shot to draw it out in MS Paint. There are a couple calculators that have a similar shape, called oblong. This one let me go down to inches, so I did not have to round to the nearest foot Pool Volume Calculator - Inch Calculator. They all seem to say that I am about 8400 gallons. That is 4000 less than PAP had me at, and what I put in the app.

Attachments

• Pool Dimensions.png
    Pool Dimensions.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Yeah, I knew that I was a little off on the chlorine pour, but when trying to get to 16ppm I actually got to 21ppm, it had to be something other than the pour. Another thing that PAP screwed me up on. When I went there the first time, they looked up my address and said they had my pool at 12000 gallons in the database, so we went with that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sounds like you should be very close now. Just amazing they get so much wrong. This is something that's important and they should know that!

Alright, I gave it my best shot to draw it out in MS Paint. There are a couple calculators that have a similar shape, called oblong. This one let me go down to inches, so I did not have to round to the nearest foot Pool Volume Calculator - Inch Calculator. They all seem to say that I am about 8400 gallons. That is 4000 less than PAP had me at, and what I put in the app.
So I entered the following measurements in PoolMath ~ Estimate Pool Size: Oval that is = 11.6ft wide (avg'd) x 26ft long x 4.125ft deep (avg'd) = 8400gal :D (Rectangle returns 9300gal)
I'll be curious if that helps your numbers even out!

Well I ran into a snag today. Will have to continue SLAM tomorrow. All of the valves were sun dried and broken, so I was having to use pliers to open and close them. I decided to get the whole system re-plumbed. He was out here doing that today, but ran into an issue with a piece that he did not have and can't get until his supplier opens tomorrow.

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    264.6 KB · Views: 17
Well I ran into a snag today. Will have to continue SLAM tomorrow. All of the valves were sun dried and broken, so I was having to use pliers to open and close them. I decided to get the whole system re-plumbed. He was out here doing that today, but ran into an issue with a piece that he did not have and can't get until his supplier opens tomorrow.
You can continue to add beach, you will just have to manually use a pool brush or net to move & mix the water. I wouldn't let the FC go down for too long :)

Sitting at 19 right now, heading to work soon. May try to take a break around 8 and run home and test again to get back to SLAM level. I may shoot a video soon to make sure that I am doing the CC test right. When I put the 5 drops in after doing the FC test, the water turns slightly pink (not red), then 1 drop of the solution brings it back to clear. Is that .5 or 0?

Last edited:
Ok, today I am off from both jobs, I am free all day to SLAM correctly. How often should I be testing the FC and adjusting? Every 30 minutes? Every hour? I am thinking about pulling the light fixture out and wiping down the whole thing (cable included) with straight bleach on a rag, yay or nay?

Reactions: splashpad
Ok, today I am off from both jobs, I am free all day to SLAM correctly. How often should I be testing the FC and adjusting? Every 30 minutes? Every hour? I am thinking about pulling the light fixture out and wiping down the whole thing (cable included) with straight bleach on a rag, yay or nay?
30min is the soonest, hourly is preferred, unless you are having large chlorine losses
I would dilute it some, you don't want to damage the fixture :)

Nite,

The more you are able to maintain SLAM the more effective and short it will be. You can't go over SLAM level without risking damage and/or rendering the pool unusable. So the best thing to do is test frequently enough that you are controlling to SLAM level. For your pool with the clarity it has I would be surprised if this takes more than a couple of times. Then just raise it up again before you go to work. Follow the SLAM procedure to the letter and you'll be done soon. You have to meet all 3:
You're doing great with two jobs and a SLAM. Keep it up!

Chris

Reactions: splashpad

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.