Starting to look better...but.

Starting on day 5 of SLAM, going to pull off all of the returns and the light fixture again and scrub them all.
I just went through this. My pool clouded up after landscaping, pressure washing etc. On day three the water was as clear as ever and I was still burning through chlorine. It took me almost two weeks of constant brushing, testing, and several toothbrushes to finally come out on the other side. After the initial few days of extra backwashes my pressure wasn’t even going up. I was getting so frustrated. Hang in there it will happen.

Mine was crystal clear on day 2, but I am losing about 2 - 4ppm in the overnight test. Pressure also have been below 10psi since day 2. My gut feeling is that its the light fixture. I pulled it out 2 days ago and scrubbed it down with diluted bleach, but the cavity that it goes in was hard to scrub. I am probably going to put on a mask today and dive down and scrub the heck out of the cavity. Then pull off all of the returns and scrub them. Someone mentioned that it may be in the main drain, not sure how I can scrub down there, think I just gotta let the chlorine kill that.

Well I ran into a snag today. Will have to continue SLAM tomorrow. All of the valves were sun dried and broken, so I was having to use pliers to open and close them. I decided to get the whole system re-plumbed. He was out here doing that today, but ran into an issue with a piece that he did not have and can't get until his supplier opens tomorrow.

Make sure he uses the black the valves instead of the red ones. On my pad I have one red valve, and two black. The red one is UV brittle and broken like yours. But my two black valves, that get the same amount of sun and are the same age, are fine!

Mine was crystal clear on day 2, but I am losing about 2 - 4ppm in the overnight test. Pressure also have been below 10psi since day 2. My gut feeling is that its the light fixture. I pulled it out 2 days ago and scrubbed it down with diluted bleach, but the cavity that it goes in was hard to scrub. I am probably going to put on a mask today and dive down and scrub the heck out of the cavity. Then pull off all of the returns and scrub them. Someone mentioned that it may be in the main drain, not sure how I can scrub down there, think I just gotta let the chlorine kill that.

When you remove the light to scrub, you might want to leave the light out for a few days. Let the water circulate in there. That way you can also scrub it daily much easier.

Also if you are replacing valves you should tell your guy to use diverter valves instead of those ball valves.

Reactions: splashpad
When you remove the light to scrub, you might want to leave the light out for a few days. Let the water circulate in there. That way you can also scrub it daily much easier.

Also if you are replacing valves you should tell your guy to use diverter valves instead of those ball valves.
Good idea on the light, did not think of that. I will leave it out today, when I pull it out.

Reactions: splashpad
Use your pool brush and scrub your main drain as much as possible. It’s hard I know, check the back of your weir door. I replaced mine a couple of years ago and the old one had some algae on it. I use a toothbrush and take my returns out and scrub the heck of them, same with my skimmer. Check any nooks and crannies with a fine tooth comb.

Use your pool brush and scrub your main drain as much as possible. It’s hard I know, check the back of your weir door. I replaced mine a couple of years ago and the old one had some algae on it. I use a toothbrush and take my returns out and scrub the heck of them, same with my skimmer. Check any nooks and crannies with a fine tooth comb.
weir door?

weir door?
It's a plastic "flap" that goes inside your skimmer. When the pump shuts off, it raises up and traps anything that's floating in the skimmer in the skimmer instead of letting it get back into the pool. It also floats and only lets a fraction of an inch of water past into the skimmer while the pump is running, which increases the skimming action.

Reactions: MITBeta
It's a plastic "flap" that goes inside your skimmer. When the pump shuts off, it raises up and traps anything that's floating in the skimmer in the skimmer instead of letting it get back into the pool. It also floats and only lets a fraction of an inch of water past into the skimmer while the pump is running, which increases the skimming action.
Ahh, ok. I have seen those. Mine does not have one.

Here's a pool skimmer:

11062-1890503.jpg

The weir door is the flap in the front.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ahh, ok. I have seen those. Mine does not have one.
It probably should. Check for a couple of indents on the bottom inside of the skimmer throat and see if they're there. If so, then it had a weir door and it broke - you should be able to get a replacement. It will help your skimmer work correctly.

While there, scrub the inside of that throat and anywhere you can reach in the skimmer.

FC kills algae, but algae that's built up on something can form a sort of film on its surface to protect itself from the FC. That's why you scrub - it disturbs that film and kicks the algae up into the water where the FC can zap it.

Ideally you could remove the cover plate from your main drain and scrub under it. I've heard of people finding algae hiding under there. (We don't have one in our pool.)

It probably should. Check for a couple of indents on the bottom inside of the skimmer throat and see if they're there. If so, then it had a weir door and it broke - you should be able to get a replacement. It will help your skimmer work correctly.

While there, scrub the inside of that throat and anywhere you can reach in the skimmer.

FC kills algae, but algae that's built up on something can form a sort of film on its surface to protect itself from the FC. That's why you scrub - it disturbs that film and kicks the algae up into the water where the FC can zap it.

Ideally you could remove the cover plate from your main drain and scrub under it. I've heard of people finding algae hiding under there. (We don't have one in our pool.)

I would need my dive weights to get down there and stay long enough to unscrew it, or some rocks...lol

Could this be hiding in the pipes? Wouldn't the moving water break the film? My concern is that it is somewhere that I can't reach with a brush...:cry:

+1 on the recommendation to replace the weir door. I have been manually skimming all the pollen out of my pool for 2 weeks.

Then I searched on this forum how to improve skimming and found that almost every skimming issue was due to a missing weir. I dug mine out of the deck box, washed it with soap and water, and reinstalled. I haven't had to skim manually since.

So. Simple.

I took my door out after the new skimmer was installed last year because I thought it was just to keep pool toys from plugging the skimmer and it got in the way of my vacuum plate. Now I know better.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.