Starting renovation project - feedback on what to include/consider for pool renovation.

LBIguard

Jul 3, 2019
Ellicott City, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
We are embarking on a large backyard/pool renovation and are grateful for any insights into what we should consider (what we are missing) or tips for success (what you learned that made your project go smoothly).

What we currently have​

• 33,000 in-ground plaster saltwater pool with attached spa (20 years old)
  • Original poured concrete pool deck with cement safety coping (curved up)
  • Equipment pad Pentair equipment (3–7 years old)
  • SWG: Intellichlor IC-40 (3 years old)
  • Pump: Superflo VS (6 or 7 years old)
  • Filter: DE FNS Plus 48 (6 or 7 years old)
  • Heater: MasterTemp 300 (5 years old)
  • Cleaner: Polaris 3900 and Polaris booster pump

The background (ie what started this massive snowball)​

The tile on the spillway began to fall off and the tile at the waterline is original (think 1980’s kitchen backsplash) so we wanted to get new coping and tile. It turns out the pool deck is lifting and cracking in some areas. The retaining wall is beginning to fail, and the stone wall on the other side of the pool is also failing. So what began as a few tiles fell off is a complete redo of the backyard. We know it will be nice and are excited about it.

The scope of work​

Complete demolition and new drainage system, new retaining walls and steps, new fence, new larger pool deck and patio using pavers, and pool renovations.

The pool renovation includes​

• Replace the main drain with Virginia Graeme Baker compliant drain
  • Repair spillway wall
  • New paver coping and ceramic waterline tile
  • New skimmers
  • New Pentair Intellibright white LED pool lights
  • We are going with a PebbleSheen (slate blue) finish

Questions​

• We do not have a pool automation system - is it worth it? Any added benefit in doing it during all the other work?
  • Is there anything else we should consider while the pool is having all this work done?
  • Are the Intellibright lights worth it? Would you go with color instead of white?
  • Feedback on PebbleSheen, is it worth it? Does anyone have Slate Blue or a color they really like?
  • What are we missing?
  • What do you wish you did/included when taking on a project like this?
  • Is it a mistake to get rid of the diving board?

Thank you for all the great information that is shared on this forum and everyone’s willingness to help.
KC

PS. I attached a photo (please excuse the leaves in the pool bad storm overnight)

Attachments

• Backyard pool.jpg
    Backyard pool.jpg
    835.7 KB · Views: 44

Questions​

• We do not have a pool automation system - is it worth it? Any added benefit in doing it during all the other work?
  • Is there anything else we should consider while the pool is having all this work done?
  • Are the Intellibright lights worth it? Would you go with color instead of white?
  • Feedback on PebbleSheen, is it worth it? Does anyone have Slate Blue or a color they really like?
  • What are we missing?
  • What do you wish you did/included when taking on a project like this?
  • Is it a mistake to get rid of the diving board?

This looks like a very expensive renovation. Off the cuff I am thinking at least $50k.

Automation is for sure worth it.
Are you re-plumbing? Wiring for a heat-pump? New safety cover needed?
Lights for sure are worth it. I would go color lights. You'll appreciate automation with things like lights.
Pebblesheen is plaster at its core. It looks great. Your call probably adding another $5k over regular plaster?
We love and use our diving board.

We do not have a pool automation system - is it worth it? Any added benefit in doing it during all the other work?
Pool automation is nice to have, but it can be done later. Can you show photos of your equipment pad, including your subpanel?

Since you have an attached spa the IntelliCenter i5PS would be a good option, but your Superflo VS won't be easily controllable.

Thank you for the feedback.
Appreciate the comments on automation.

PoolGate:
Yes - expensive renovation but a lot of work will be done, and it will be a brand new backyard.
There are no plans to replumb anything currently, and we have a propane heater (we will convert to natural gas if/when we have to replace the current heater.)
We also use the diving board and think you are right.

Guinness:
I attached two photos of the equipment pad; sorry not sure what you mean by sub-panel.

Thanks again

Attachments

• Pool Equipment Pad _02.jpg
    Pool Equipment Pad _02.jpg
    793.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Pool Equipment Pad _01.jpg
    Pool Equipment Pad _01.jpg
    962.8 KB · Views: 16
A sub-panel is where the circuit breakers are for your pool equipment.
Thanks-I thought that initially but was not sure. Makes a lot of sense. I have three 30amp circuits going to the equipment pad and 1 15 amp circuit. I believe I may need 50 for the automation. Is that the concern?

No concerns in particular, more just to see how your equipment pad was laid out. Will be easy to replace with an IntelliCenter load center.
It can be done but isn't a slam dunk. He has 4 individual lines coming into his equipment pad. Load centers are designed to have 1. This means each one will need to be wired directly into the relay that will control it.

I would get some bids for running a single circuit to the load center of the automation probably 50 amps. BTW automation itself doesn't need much a couple amps at most.

You're right, good catch. An IntelliCenter power center would be the other option if you didn't want to run a new circuit. Unfortunately those don't come as bundles so aren't as cost effective.

Last edited:
Reactions: LBIguard
What kind of paver decking are you planning on? Regarding the pebblesheen we did French Grey which I believe is very similar to Slate Blue and really like it. Depending on the sun exposure it is a nice light to medium "steel blue/grey". I am a fan of pebble finishes this is our second pool with one. They do a better job hiding dirt than standard plaster and longer lifespan (according to the manufacture). We had a different brand on the last pool that seemed a little rougher than Pebblesheen (I like the Pebblesheen better)

IMG_4119.jpegIMG_4199.jpegScreen Shot 2022-09-02 at 10.15.53 AM.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What kind of paver decking are you planning on? Regarding the pebblesheen we did French Grey which I believe is very similar to Slate Blue and really like it. Depending on the sun exposure it is a nice light to medium "steel blue/grey". I am a fan of pebble finishes this is our second pool with one. They do a better job hiding dirt than standard plaster and longer lifespan (according to the manufacture). We had a different brand on the last pool that seemed a little rougher than Pebblesheen (I like the Pebblesheen better)

View attachment 450963View attachment 450964View attachment 450965
Thank you - and what a beautiful pool and view.

We decided to go a little darker Pebble Sheen Turtle Bay after visiting the showroom. The pavers are Nicolock Westchester, which has some browns along with grays

Thank you - and what a beautiful pool and view.

We decided to go a little darker Pebble Sheen Turtle Bay after visiting the showroom. The pavers are Nicolock Westchester, which has some browns along with grays
Awesome. I actually tend to like darker plaster and that is what we had on out last pool but after convincing my wife to move to the country she wanted something lighter so "she can see snakes in the pool".

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.