Starting pool build #2 in Hill Country, TX

We just went through the pool build process with my mom's pool. (see signature- after 8 or so interviews) Unfortunately I didn't find this website before. Fortunately, we are just starting our own pool build while finishing our house build.

We've talked with 3 builders:

1st PB previously built mom's pool but it's been since July 1 and it's still not done. He's sent us a basic design without some features we requested. Did not ask our budget and has not returned a new design which we requested 2-3 weeks ago. Maybe he's busy in the off season- don't know. His designs are attached.

2nd PB had very good references, reputation, etc. He met us at the house. We clarified all we wanted included. 3 weeks to get us a cookie cutter design with only 1 of 3 features we asked for.

3rd PB was today. He had good references, reputation, etc. He actually owns a SWG pool IN TEXAS! When I asked why all the other PB decline to build them, he said it's all about the materials and chemicals surrounding the pool. He asked for a budget and said he would have a design by next week.

So now the waiting begins....

Attachments

• Aerial view.jpg
    Aerial view.jpg
    472.9 KB · Views: 38
  • View from back.jpg
    View from back.jpg
    397.3 KB · Views: 40
  • view from porch.jpg
    view from porch.jpg
    415.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
RLW,

Most non-SWCG pool builders are in the greater Houston Area.. Plenty of pool builders in the DFW area are pro SWCG.. I think having the right material makes sense..

My first thought is that there is a very thin line between a great waterfall and a pile of rocks.. If you have a waterfall, it should look like it is supposed to be there.

Does your mom's pool have a spa? Have you used it? If so, you know what you are getting and that is what is important.. If you have not used a gunite spa, then you need to try one before you buy one.. Spas are the most oversold and underused items in a pool build.

If you go saltwater, make sure your SWCG is at least 2 X the volume of your pool.. If you have a 20K pool you need a cell rated for 40K. Also.. a VS pump is almost mandatory with a saltwater pool..

If you have a Spa, you will need some type of automation system.. There are so many options on automation systems, make sure it will do what you want before you buy it.

I would recommend a large cartridge filter as opposed to DE.. No multiport valve or DE to screw with.. Clean it twice a year and be done with it.

Go with a robot cleaner instead of 1960's technology of a water powered cleaner (Suction or Pressure side cleaner)

Do not fall into the In-floor cleaning system trap...

Do not buy into the UV and Ozone "fake" sanitizer bull...

Good luck with you new pool build,

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Reactions: redlegwife
I have to agree with Jim above.... some of these rock piles look...uh...strange to me. Like what's the point? And tossing some rocks out there willy-nilly is just gonna look dated and out-of-place strange in a few years, IMO. Rarely are they in the "outback" where one might find a random pile of rocks.

I think the more attractive water feature is from a wall or tiled feature which actually match the pool....the pools are elegant and polished since all they are in suburbs or cites.

Two-and-a-half-cents worth of rant over :)

Maddie :flower:

I agree on getting more quotes since the first two are almost nonstarters.

Also, on the drawings you attached, I liked the design but I thought the deck space was minimal and didn't really allow for chairs or anything else around the pool. I'd suggest increasing the deck space in between the spa and the house.

Thank you all. I agree with the idea of rocks within the waterfall. It was something I had specified as tile but designed rocks. Probably because mom's pool has a rock waterfall and this is her PB (PB#1)

So I drew up my own design and sent it out. PB#1 came back with my exact design and pricing. They are in the ball park. But not sure I want to build for 6-7 mos. I'm attaching my drawing along with PB#1's take on my design.

Attachments

• Pool idea 11-2019 (1).pdf
    472.2 KB · Views: 22
  • PB1_ 2_002.JPG
    PB1_ 2_002.JPG
    242.5 KB · Views: 37
  • PB1_ 2_003.JPG
    PB1_ 2_003.JPG
    245.2 KB · Views: 38
  • PB1_ 2_001.jpg
    PB1_ 2_001.jpg
    582.4 KB · Views: 36
  • PB1_ 2_004.jpg
    PB1_ 2_004.jpg
    564.5 KB · Views: 36
Cool looking design, I just wonder how high of a step up you have to get into and out of the spa. It seems like it would need another step in between the patio and top of the coping (unless there is another way in/out of the spa I'm not seeing).

The back porch will actually have 4 deep steps down to a deck area, then a few more steps down to the pool deck. No railing across the back porch because the back of the house is all glass. With the landscaper, we will probably change the walkway down to the firepit to pea-gravel and only one walkway on the back side. My drawing had round flower beds on the corners to soften all the hardscape.

Their estimated pool size is 17.3' x 31.5'. The entire span of the back porch is approximately 40 ft.
Edited to add- depths are 4ft to 6ft.
Thoughts?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
RLW,

Most non-SWCG pool builders are in the greater Houston Area.. Plenty of pool builders in the DFW area are pro SWCG.. I think having the right material makes sense..

My first thought is that there is a very thin line between a great waterfall and a pile of rocks.. If you have a waterfall, it should look like it is supposed to be there.

Does your mom's pool have a spa? Have you used it? If so, you know what you are getting and that is what is important.. If you have not used a gunite spa, then you need to try one before you buy one.. Spas are the most oversold and underused items in a pool build.

If you go saltwater, make sure your SWCG is at least 2 X the volume of your pool.. If you have a 20K pool you need a cell rated for 40K. Also.. a VS pump is almost mandatory with a saltwater pool..

If you have a Spa, you will need some type of automation system.. There are so many options on automation systems, make sure it will do what you want before you buy it.

I would recommend a large cartridge filter as opposed to DE.. No multiport valve or DE to screw with.. Clean it twice a year and be done with it.

Go with a robot cleaner instead of 1960's technology of a water powered cleaner (Suction or Pressure side cleaner)

Do not fall into the In-floor cleaning system trap...

Do not buy into the UV and Ozone "fake" sanitizer bull...

Good luck with you new pool build,

Thanks,

Jim R.

We are outside San Antonio. Many PBs here will "not guarantee" anything if you go SWCG.

Here are my ideas:
-Spa area-I would lose the pretty flowers and add more decking. That is going to be an area where people will want to sit outside the spa and chat with the people inside the tub. I would also put a sitting bench of the back side of the walls on either side of the spa. The bench will also serve as a step to help get into and out of the spa.
-small bench in the pool by the spa-again sitting and chatting as well as safety just in case someone gets tired in the deep end and needs to take a break.

Kim:kim:

Here are my ideas:
-Spa area-I would lose the pretty flowers and add more decking. That is going to be an area where people will want to sit outside the spa and chat with the people inside the tub. I would also put a sitting bench of the back side of the walls on either side of the spa. The bench will also serve as a step to help get into and out of the spa.
-small bench in the pool by the spa-again sitting and chatting as well as safety just in case someone gets tired in the deep end and needs to take a break.

Kim:kim:
Do you mean a bench inside the pool on the wall of the waterfall? I like all your suggestions. Thank you.

I also wanted to mention the bench that extends out from the corner tanning shelf area. We have a sitting bench/shelf along one side of our pool, but it's on the west side of the pool so that we are sitting-facing the house and the sun is at our back. Otherwise, if the bench/shelf was on the opposite (east) side, we would have the sun in our face in the later afternoon or evenings. I didn't see a compass on the drawings, but figured I would mention that as well in case you thought it may be important.

Also, unless I missed it, make sure to get a good equipment list from each builder for us to review. The aesthetics are nice, but the type of equipment will be a significant issue once built as well.

I also wanted to mention the bench that extends out from the corner tanning shelf area. We have a sitting bench/shelf along one side of our pool, but it's on the west side of the pool so that we are sitting-facing the house and the sun is at our back. Otherwise, if the bench/shelf was on the opposite (east) side, we would have the sun in our face in the later afternoon or evenings. I didn't see a compass on the drawings, but figured I would mention that as well in case you thought it may be important.

Also, unless I missed it, make sure to get a good equipment list from each builder for us to review. The aesthetics are nice, but the type of equipment will be a significant issue once built as well.

Good catch with the shelf & the sun. I believe the shelf faces the sunset. We will go out at sunset and double check.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.