Starting a new pool build in austin (like everyone else..)

My pool is 15500 gallons I used pucks to start it up. There are around 2.1ppm CYA for each 3" trichlor puck for my pool (3.5ppm FC). I used about 10 pucks to get CYA to around 20.

I mainly use liquid bleach and use a stenner pump to inject it. I use liquid bleach because I want to be able to use my pool as an emergency water supply. Salt builds up from bleach, but I plan to feed my gutters into the pool which will help to keep calcium and salt levels down. It can also reduce CYA and make it easier to use pucks.

It turns out that the puck feeder has an empty 1/2" npt port for a pressure gauge. I was able to screw in the checkvalve for the stenner pump right into it so I can inject bleach or use pucks.

I found a guy selling 55 gallon barrels on craigslist for $25. I drilled a 1/4" hole in one of the bung caps and inserted the tubing through. The tubing connects to a weighted strainer to hold it at the bottom.

2021-04-19 11.04.13.jpg

The stenner pump is not adjustable speed. It primes itself so even though there was a lot of tubing it was able to feed the chlorine through pretty quickly. I used this package from amazon. It comes with tubing, check valve, weighted strainer etc. It has a built in timer that lets you do 12 on/off pairs. It cost $325. The model is E10T2B81S8 and will drip 8.5 gallons per day or .35 gallons per hour (you can set it for 1 minute increments). I have it set to run for 1 hour towards the evening so I have full chlorine through the night.

Stenner Econ T Automatic Dosing Peristaltic Metering Pump E10T2B 120V NSF 50: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

2021-04-19 11.04.06.jpg

The check valve has a long "nose" after the 1/2" threads so I had to add in an extender, otherwise the nose protrudes into the puck chamber and blocks pucks from going in. Something like this https://www.lowes.com/pd/LASCO-1-2-in-x-1-2-in-x-1-2-in-dia-Riser-PVC-Fitting/3380950

The black thing screwed in to the riser extension is the check valve. Eventually they fail so they need to be checked/replaced every other year.

2021-04-19 11.03.58.jpg

Bleach is running about $4.6/121 oz at costco for 7% I think I can do about .3 gallons per day so about $1.4/day during the swim season. As it gets cold I use a lot less bleach. Still the cost will be approximately $350/year in bleach

Last edited:
Bleach is running about $4.6/121 oz at costco for 7%

What brand bleach do you get at Costco?

If it is Clorox check that the label does not say Cloromax anyplace. Cloromax are polymers that are not suitable for pools and cause foaming.

Last edited:
What brand bleach do you get at Costco?

If it is Clorox check that the label does not say Cloromax anyplace. Cloromax are polymers that re not suitable for pools and cause foaming.
it is chloromax and I bought about 21 gallons which Ive already poured into my 55 gallon tank.

Not sure what to do at this point. F'ing chlorox what are they doing??

Use at your own risk. If you see foam around your pool you will know why. Clorox has said their bleach is not suitable for pools.

Do you have some waste disposal you can dilute it and pump it to?

Not sure what to do at this point.
If you still have the 21 empty jugs - pour it back in those and call a local cleaning company if they can use it for their cleaning jobs. Best to give it away for those that could use it properly in their cleaning roles. Chalk it up to a learning experience.

Because of covid it seems like everyone is building a pool in austin. PB are slammed. I built a pool in 2012 and said I would never build another pool. Unfortunately we moved in 2017 and bought a house without a pool so now Im faced with building another pool.

Austin is backlogged so it is going to take 2 months to get the permit. The utility guys came by today to mark utility lines with flags. He also mentioned that pool equipment is starting to be out of stock. He is hoping that in 2 months things will be better.

I noticed that everyone is using pentair. We had hayward before and it was fine. Is pentair much better than hayward? Here are the rough specs and equipment. The total cost is 75K. Dimensions are 14x30, we are trying to get about 17X30 but our property starts to severely slope .

It comes with the rainbow, but Ill install a stenner pump and 15 gallon carboy for bleach into the port. He really wanted lueders coping and lueders and saltwater dont mix.

I didnt like the steps so we are switching to triangular corner steps or a square with steps down both sides. He thought triangle steps were too 80s.

Is the rebar too small, are 10" centers not close enough together? He didnt spec the PVC diameter, should i push on that?
View attachment 156155

Permits & Layout:
- submit for permit’s (permit and inspection fees included)
- Layout for inspection
(HOA deposit not included)

Excavation:
- set elevation
- dig pool as designed
- form pool and spa , and haul off

Steel:
- 3/8 in. (#3) rebar on 10 inch centers
- ½ in. continuous 4 bar beam
- 24” deck dowels

Plumbing:
- Anti-vortex main drains
- 2 Skimmers
- 3 returns
- Hayward Sharkvac
- All work done with schedule 40 pvc
- Pressure test @ 40 psi
- Valves as required
- bonding wire and clamps to code

Gunite:
- All Gunite 12” thick (+/- 3”)
- Lifetime Warranty

Electric:
- Hook up as required

Equipment:
  • - 2 hp Hayward Tristar two speed pump
  • - 5030 Hayward Cartridge filter
  • - Hayward E-4 automated control with wireless remote
  • - Rainbow 320 in-line chlorinator
  • - 2 Hayward Chrome ring light(s)
  • - 1 ½ hp blower
  • - Hayward 400K BTU heater

Decking:
- Concrete 3-4” thick with 3/8” rebar reinforcement

Tile/Coping:
- Waterline tile and pool coping to be determined by homeowner

Plaster:
- Quartz (diamond brite midnight blue)
- Matching wall fittings, drain covers, and returns

Gas:
- Gas hook-up as discussed with homeowner

Yard Repair/Irrigation/Drainage:
- 6 to 12 yards of loam will be spread and ruts will be smoothed and filled
- Sprinkler and drainage will be discussed on a job to job basis

Fencing:
- Fencing will be discussed on a job to job basis

Warranties:
- Lifetime gunite shell warranty
- 3 year Equipment
- 2 year plaster
- 2 year tile and coping
- 2 year plumbing and electric

Hi, new to this forum and just embarking on the journey, looking to also build in NW Hills Austin. Would you mind sharing your PB? Enjoyed following this thread.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.