Starting a new pool build in austin (like everyone else..)

they are going very fast. The pool builder said he can normally be done in 6 weeks. But with covid it is more like 8 weeks, plus the christmas holiday. A week in and the rebar is going in. Ill show a picture tomorrow. They have double rebar on the back wall.

I contacted an engineer and hope I can get him to help monitor the pool through the process.

Reactions: kimkats
You are moving so much faster than we are, and I'm also in Northwest Austin! We are on week 8 after the dig and still no gunite. The rebar did go in right after the dig, and plumbing was pretty quick, but our builder says there's a big delay on gunite in Austin. Not sure if that is just the subcontractor he uses, or if it's true everywhere. Hopefully they will do it this week or next but I have started not to expect ANYTHING anymore. We first called this builder back in April and didn't get a permit until October.

Do you already have your equipment? I'm also nervous about the supposed equipment shortages. We don't have anything yet.

• Wow
Reactions: Nikilyn
You are moving so much faster than we are, and I'm also in Northwest Austin! We are on week 8 after the dig and still no gunite. The rebar did go in right after the dig, and plumbing was pretty quick, but our builder says there's a big delay on gunite in Austin. Not sure if that is just the subcontractor he uses, or if it's true everywhere. Hopefully they will do it this week or next but I have started not to expect ANYTHING anymore. We first called this builder back in April and didn't get a permit until October.

Do you already have your equipment? I'm also nervous about the supposed equipment shortages. We don't have anything yet.

rebar and plumbing went in the last few days. My builder said that he bought a ton of equipment when it became available and has all equipment for all his pool builds ready.

He said it normally takes about 6 weeks and pools are running 8 weeks. With the holidays I would expect at least 10 weeks. my other pool build took about 4 months.

Reactions: kimkats
This pool builder is really fast.. We applied for the permit aug 3rd. City approved towards the middle of october. Pool builder needed 4 weeks lead time to get us in the schedule so we were scheduled mid november, then it rained so it got pushed to the week of thanksgiving.

They dug, got rebar and plumbing in about a week and a half. Then we waited for the city inspector which was about 2 weeks. Today they started shotcrete.

They told me they normally can build a pool in 6 weeks, but with covid it would be 8.

20201210_173729_small.jpg

20201210_173740_small.jpg

Those are pics from 2 weeks ago, we waited for the inspection and they are doing shotcrete right now

20201222_083856_small.jpg

Glad it’s progressing as it is. It sure looks like the @DB-Cooper setup and you’ll certainly be close to his wow-factor when it’s complete. (His just happens to be my personal gold standard of Wow-factor). Check it out here when you need a reminder of why you’re doing this. Pro tip: Hold your jaw up preemptively before it drops. :)

I just
Glad it’s progressing as it is. It sure looks like the @DB-Cooper setup and you’ll certainly be close to his wow-factor when it’s complete. (His just happens to be my personal gold standard of Wow-factor). Check it out here when you need a reminder of why you’re doing this. Pro tip: Hold your jaw up preemptively before it drops. :)

I just read that entire thread and that build is in my neighborhood. We are definitely doing a budget build, so even if our build is roughly a similar shape, we dont have nearly the amenities.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We are definitely doing a budget build, so even if our build is roughly a similar shape, we dont have nearly the amenities
Can’t even see the amenities when you are sitting in the pool GAWKING on the canyon view. :)

And after the first few times that your friends tell you that they would take all the hangups AND trade their right arm for your pool, you’ll start to believe them. My pool was pretty plain and my friends didn’t want to hear about the hangups or all my personal back breaking work that went into fixing the yard/ sprinklers. But. But. LOOK at your pool and shut UP they all said.

Reactions: Gladius Nova
Our last pool had diamond brite midnight blue which we loved the color of. The kids were not a fan of the roughness, but pebble is even more rough. We are thinking about downgrading to plaster as the kids swim in our friends pool and love the smooth feel.

My friend doesnt keep great chemistry and the plaster is around 15 years old and doing fine.

Any thoughts on doing plaster in a darker color?

Our last pool had diamond brite midnight blue which we loved the color of. The kids were not a fan of the roughness, but pebble is even more rough. We are thinking about downgrading to plaster as the kids swim in our friends pool and love the smooth feel.

My friend doesnt keep great chemistry and the plaster is around 15 years old and doing fine.

Any thoughts on doing plaster in a darker color?
Colored plaster mottles. The darker it is, the more you see it. I just wanted a light blue plaster but the company we are most likely going with won’t do colored plaster because of the mottling. We’re going with a quartz plaster. Not like Quartzscapes, but a white modified plaster with colored quartz crystals in it. I want the smooth. I’ve tried talking myself into pebble because it’s the color that I want but I don’t like the texture and I know I’ll be mad at myself if I choose it.

Here is the shell which Im watering.20201224_085102.jpg

The light spot in the spa looks like a chunk fell out of the bench and they put a patch. Is that going to be ok?

You can also see a lot of leaves already in the pool after just 2 days. There is a very large live oak partially hanging over the pool. I should have cut it before the shell went in. Now it will be harder to cut because the heavy pieces will fall on the shell.

SWEET!!! That looks great! Have you started bonding with it yet? aka watering it to help slow down the curing.

It is time for your set of links! The first set is all about what to do and ask about to get a great plaster job. The second set is all about how to care for your pool after you get the plaster.

Plaster links:
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Pool care links:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Trouble Free Pool
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Now is also a good time to ask what test kit your PB will be providing so we can fill in any holes.

As for the patch that is no big deal. The plaster will go right over it and hold it on.

Kim

SWEET!!! That looks great! Have you started bonding with it yet? aka watering it to help slow down the curing.

It is time for your set of links! The first set is all about what to do and ask about to get a great plaster job. The second set is all about how to care for your pool after you get the plaster.

Plaster links:
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Pool care links:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Trouble Free Pool
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Now is also a good time to ask what test kit your PB will be providing so we can fill in any holes.

As for the patch that is no big deal. The plaster will go right over it and hold it on.

Kim

Thanks for the links! We had a pool before, but I have only started a pool from scratch once.

I have been watering, 3 times a day.

I bought the test kit even before we contracted the pool :)

Im likely going to go pucks + bleach injected with a stenner pump. Ill be feeding my gutters into the pool which will add a lot of water that reduces the salt, CYA, and calcium. I actually had to add CYA every year into the pool.

I just

I just read that entire thread and that build is in my neighborhood. We are definitely doing a budget build, so even if our build is roughly a similar shape, we dont have nearly the amenities.

Who's doing your pool? Feel free to DM me, would love to learn more.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.