Star-rite Max-E-Therm 400 Not powering on

Jlam916

Feb 26, 2024
Rancho Cordova / CA
New pool owner. I have a star-rite max e therm 400 heater not powering on. My pool guy said it’s most likely the control board, after replacing the fuse and it still doesn’t work. He’s quoting me around 800-950 to change the control board. Is this a fair place?

I’m willing to try to do this myself, although I have no experience replacing heater control boards. On Amazon, it says the control board is $400, is this the correct part?

If anyone have had a similar experience with this heater, what could I try or how do I fix this myself?

Welcome to TFP.

Is your heater connected to an automation system?

Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it to check voltages and continuity?

Does your heater keypad have 5 buttons or 6 buttons?

It is rarely the board unless your heater was hit by a lightning strike nearby.

Lots you can read about MasterTemp/Starite heater diagnostics at Pentair MasterTemp Heaters - Further Reading

New pool owner. I have a star-rite max e therm 400 heater not powering on. My pool guy said it’s most likely the control board, after replacing the fuse and it still doesn’t work. He’s quoting me around 800-950 to change the control board. Is this a fair place?

I’m willing to try to do this myself, although I have no experience replacing heater control boards. On Amazon, it says the control board is $400, is this the correct part?

If anyone have had a similar experience with this heater, what could I try or how do I fix this myself?
"Most likely the board" is not a diagnosis, its a guess and an expensive one. Is there any rodent damage to the wires, especially up under the "pagoda" top? Its easy to miss up that high in the heater. Two hair-pin clips and the top is loose.
Has power to the board been checked?

My pool guy said it’s most likely the control board, after replacing the fuse and it still doesn’t work. He’s quoting me around 800-950 to change the control board. Is this a fair price?
Sounds like the person is guessing.

Are they willing to guaranty the work?

The price is high to replace a circuit board.

What happens if the $950.00 repair does not solve the problem?

How old is the heater?

Have you verified that the heater is actually getting power?

If yes, what is the actual voltage that is being measured?