Stained plaster

Ronnie6821

Feb 22, 2020
Louisiana
Is there a good cleaner to clean the staining on my plaster? It’s just stained on the top two or three feet, it just yellowish stain all the way around the pool. I’m sure it’s my fault for not doing a good enough job brushing. I’ve tried brushing in just one spot and all I do is cloud up the water in that area and it doesn’t seem to be cleaning at all.

You would be best served to know what the staining was to treat it properly. The following may help us (to help you) give better advice:
- Provide a full set of water test results (add which test kit you use to your signature)
- Still using the SWG? Have you added any other chemicals to the water lately?
- Have you had algae recently?
- Have you tried testing the staining? Rubbing with a chlorine tab/puck = organic/algae; Vitamin C tabs = iron; rubbing with dry acid = copper

You would be best served to know what the staining was to treat it properly. The following may help us (to help you) give better advice:
- Provide a full set of water test results (add which test kit you use to your signature)
- Still using the SWG? Have you added any other chemicals to the water lately?
- Have you had algae recently?
- Have you tried testing the staining? Rubbing with a chlorine tab/puck = organic/algae; Vitamin C tabs = iron; rubbing with dry acid = copper
I guess I wasn’t prepared for all this, I usually bring water to the pool place to get tested and it’s been a month since I’ve been, so I have no idea of the water results. Yes the SWG is running and the only chemicals I’ve put in is about a quart of Muriatic acid a week and I haven’t rubbed it with a chlorine tab or vitamin C tab,.

I guess I wasn’t prepared for all this, I usually bring water to the pool place to get tested and it’s been a month since I’ve been, so I have no idea of the water results. Yes the SWG is running and the only chemicals I’ve put in is about a quart of Muriatic acid a week and I haven’t rubbed it with a chlorine tab or vitamin C tab,.
I see. We'll, you're still relatively new to TFP, so there is a learning curve to pool owner testing & maintenance. We're always happy to assist. Water in our area has been a little chilly (about 60 degrees) which helps to slow algae growth, but that's about to change soon. Having the proper test kit at home is extremely important, not only for convenience to test every day or two, but to ensure "accurate" results as we've learned that many, many pool stores don't provide accurate readings - either from lack of training, poor lighting, or simply being in a hurry.

We recommend the TF-100 (w/ magnetic speedtor if possible), or the Taylor K-2006C as an alternative. Either of those kits are easy to use at home and provide very dependable results. It's not hard to do, it's just a matter of cutting those cord form the pool store. You'll be glad you did. Let us know if you have any questions.

Reactions: Ronnie6821
Pool Store testing is not reliable at all. Please order your own Test Kits Compared. What kind of chemicals has the pool store recommended you put in your pool? They may contain copper which will stain your plaster.
The only thing I’ve put in my pool is a little calcium hardness increaser and stabilizer. I will take you up on your advise and order a my own test kit.
Appreciate your help.

Reactions: Flying Tivo
I see. We'll, you're still relatively new to TFP, so there is a learning curve to pool owner testing & maintenance. We're always happy to assist. Water in our area has been a little chilly (about 60 degrees) which helps to slow algae growth, but that's about to change soon. Having the proper test kit at home is extremely important, not only for convenience to test every day or two, but to ensure "accurate" results as we've learned that many, many pool stores don't provide accurate readings - either from lack of training, poor lighting, or simply being in a hurry.

We recommend the TF-100 (w/ magnetic speedtor if possible), or the Taylor K-2006C as an alternative. Either of those kits are easy to use at home and provide very dependable results. It's not hard to do, it's just a matter of cutting those cord form the pool store. You'll be glad you did. Let us know if you have any questions.
Will do. Thank you very much!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.