Georgetown, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Is this a rust stain? I have a couple like this. Chemistry is all good now. Any recommendations for stain removal? I've seen posts recommending vitamin C or dry acid in a sock. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_8837.png
    IMG_8837.png
    399.8 KB · Views: 13
I think @1poolman1 has commented that he sees these stains coming from Pentair Amerilite lights with chrome rings.

You may have something rusting in the light niche. Put a slurry of vitamin C tablets in a sock and hold it on the stain. If the stain lightens or lifts it is an iron stain.

Reactions: pool512
It most likely is rust. The only item in a light niche that should be able to rust is the set screw on the bond lug. They are suppose to be encapsulated with a potting compound after the bond wire is attached to prevent corrosion, but . . .
Everything else is stainless or rubber/plastic etc.

I tried the Vitamin C tablets in the sock (and even scrubbed directly on to stain), but it made no difference to the stain. Any other ideas? Thanks!

It most likely is rust. The only item in a light niche that should be able to rust is the set screw on the bond lug. They are suppose to be encapsulated with a potting compound after the bond wire is attached to prevent corrosion, but . . .
Everything else is stainless or rubber/plastic etc.
Aside from cleaning the stain, is this something I should address? I've take the lights out of the niche to clean behind, so would I find that bonding lug, maybe scrub with a wire brush, then apply some putty to encapsulate? Thanks!

maybe scrub with a wire brush,

Do not scrub with a wire brush with steel bristles. The bristles will leave steel on what you scrub that will rust.

Use a brush with brass bristles.

I would not spend anytime on that stain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.