Stabilizer help

Chrislx93

May 27, 2019
Tennessee
Just filled up a new 20’ AGP we got last week. Stabilizer was 0. So I put about 3 pounds in it. Which is a little less than what was recommended by the pool shop.

It’s the granules. And I was told they can take a little while to dissolve. I poured them in the deepest end of the pool. Which I was told to do since I didn’t add them through the skimmer.
Now they’re just kinda sitting at the bottom of the pool and I have brushed for about 15 mins and they just push over a little and settle all together again. After reading. I saw people saying to just vacuum them out if they don’t dissolve because sometimes they can take a couple days to dissolve. Problem is. Vacuum is not working. I gotta get one from the pool shop tomorrow. But between now and tomorrow. Will it bother anything if they just sit at the bottom. Of the pool?

Welcome to the forum!
As Richard said, they can stain your liner. It would be better to vac them into the filter. Next time use the sock method.

You can swim with them in there. No harm.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Welcome to the forum!
As Richard said, they can stain your liner. It would be better to vac them into the filter. Next time use the sock method.

You can swim with them in there. No harm.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.
What exactly do you mean by vacuum them into filter. Also a it safe to shock it tonight with them in there

I know you said you do not have a vacuum. I did not catch that. But if you did, when you vacuum the pool, depending on your filter type, you can vac to filter or you might be able to vac to waste.

Can you fill out your signature? Click on your member name, upper right. Go to Signature.

You mean permanently? Or just while they’re dissolving. Also would I be better vacuuming them? Can you swim with them in there. Thanks for the reply and the welcome!
As long as it's convenient. I'm aware you have to do things like sleep and work.

If any is left by the time you have your vacuum, suck 'em up.

Yes, you can swim.

And why do you need to shock?You just filled it! It's the same as your bathwater, isn't it? Just give it enough of whatever to raise FC to 3 and hop in.

As long as it's convenient. I'm aware you have to do things like sleep and work.

If any is left by the time you have your vacuum, suck 'em up.

Yes, you can swim.

And why do you need to shock?You just filled it! It's the same as your bathwater, isn't it? Just give it enough of whatever to raise FC to 3 and hop in.
Well. The shock was because the guy at the pool store said due to my FC and TC levels. I needed to shock it.

Well. The shock was because the guy at the pool store said due to my FC and TC levels. I needed to shock it.
Lemme tell you a secret: a lot of water systems use chloramines in the water to prevent pipe corrosion. A couple hours of sunlight and it's all gone. It's not the same as the chloramines you get from a lot of sweaty bodies aka that public pool smell. It doesn't need to be "shocked." Follow our methods an you may never ever need to "shock" the pool for as long as you own it.,

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Lemme tell you a secret: a lot of water systems use chloramines in the water to prevent pipe corrosion. A couple hours of sunlight and it's all gone. It's not the same as the chloramines you get from a lot of sweaty bodies aka that public pool smell. It doesn't need to be "shocked." Follow our methods an you may never ever need to "shock" the pool for as long as you own it.,
You mean the guides the guy posted above? Or some other helpful stuff? I haven’t scrolled across yet?

Hello and Welcome to TFP!! Congrats on the new pool.

Read through the links that mknauss posted. The information in those links will give you a good idea of the Trouble Free Pool Care methods. These TFPC methods will differ from what the guy at the pool store said.
PS method is typically trichlor tabs and weekly "shock" with dichlor. Leads to high CYA and "why is my pool do hard to take care of" after a couple of months
TFPC method is to test at home and use liquid chlorine and have chlorine levels based on the CYA level. You understand the chemicals you add to the pool and you will end up having the best looking water in the neighborhood. Also use chemicals that are available at your favorite grocery or hardware store.

Feel free to ask your questions here. It is your thread and it helps to keep all the info in one place.

Hello and Welcome to TFP!! Congrats on the new pool.

Read through the links that mknauss posted. The information in those links will give you a good idea of the Trouble Free Pool Care methods. These TFPC methods will differ from what the guy at the pool store said.
PS method is typically trichlor tabs and weekly "shock" with dichlor. Leads to high CYA and "why is my pool do hard to take care of" after a couple of months
TFPC method is to test at home and use liquid chlorine and have chlorine levels based on the CYA level. You understand the chemicals you add to the pool and you will end up having the best looking water in the neighborhood. Also use chemicals that are available at your favorite grocery or hardware store.

Feel free to ask your questions here. It is your thread and it helps to keep all the info in one place.
Thanks! Well. I’m gonna test the water tomorrow since I put the stabilizer granules in, and I can post here what the readings are. For help? If that works. Or should I put them into some pool calculator.

Also. Tips on some good tools? Are those skimmers you hook on the side wall really good? Or any other tools that’d help keeping it cleaner. It’s near two trees so there’s lots of leaves and things like that at the end of the day.

Reactions: inatae

See mine below. If you are on your phone, turn it sideways to see signatures.
Got it, I put in the basics. As I said earlier. My vacuum broke today. So I’ll be getting one tomorrow from the pool store. Or possibly ordering one, any suggestions on some good tools?

Also. Is it worth upgrading to a sand filter. I read that intex has a Krystal clear sand pump for about $170

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.