Testing chlorine and PH in a closed pool

Sep 20, 2018
N TN
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Is it possible to get an accurate chlorine and PH reading in a closed pool with a mesh cover that lets rainwater into the pool? If so, what do I use to collect the water sample and how do I collect the water sample so I'm only getting water that is near the bottom of the pool instead of getting surface water that could be mainly rain water with little to no chlorine?

The reason that I want to test my chlorine level is because I just got a bill for my pool closing and was charged an additional $50 for chlorine and algaecide. I told my pool company that I would add chemicals myself before closing so I'd like to see if they added any chemicals or if they are just charging me for them. If they added chlorine, I assume that I will see that the chlorine level is above SLAM level now. If they added polyquat, I know from experience that the PH will go up after it is added and the water sample will turn purple.

No, you cannot get a good test without circulating and mixing the water.

The water will stratify and different layers of the water will test differently.

If you told them NO CHEMICALS and have it in writing then they should not charge you whether they added it or not. My Pool Company has done the same thing and I point out the NO CHEMICALS in our contract and they credit me.

Last edited:
Reactions: poolnewbie4
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.