Stabilizer / CYA Sock Method Seems Way Too Slow - Other Options?

garybtru

Apr 24, 2017
Upstate NY
Hi all, so I've had my ~2 lbs. of stabilizer granules-filled sock in the skimmer basket since Saturday evening and I've been giving it a good squeeze maybe 2 or 3 times a day but it's been at 20 CYA this whole time. It seems the only way the stabilizer actually comes out of the sock is when I squeeze it. I'm not in a rush to actually swim the pool since it's 55º water and still not summer yet here in NY. :) But I'd still like to get my SLAM underway asap and get my water balanced.

Does it usually take this long just to reach 20ppm? Will it take another 48h to reach 40, etc? Maybe the cotton sock I'm using is too thick? I don't wanna spend an arm and a leg on liquid stabilizer, is there any other method I can try to get more stabilizer out quicker? Like can I just sit there for an hour or 2 and squeeze the heck out of it in the skimmer basket? Lol.

A cotton sock can slow the process. The best is a knee high nylon stocking or other very thin sock.

No need to test for the CYA until 24 hours after the CYA is fully dissolved from the sock.

If you do not plan to backwash in the next week, you can dump out the sock contents in the skimmer with pump running. I suspect it will be mush and will not even be caught by your filter.

Best CYA for a SLAM Process is 30. It takes a while for the CYA to show in the test even after it is out fo the sock. Keep squeezing the sock and shaking it around in the water as often as you can.

If you have a CYA of 20 then start your SLAM Process while the sock continues to dissolve the remainder. Use the shock FC level for the amount of CYA you added. FC/CYA Levels

It wont take hours for you to manipulate the CYA into the water with the sock. Take it out of the skimmer and manipulate it over the return until it's out of the sock. Should be about 20 minutes. Done.

I agree with Richard -- I did not catch that you were waiting for your SLAM. Once you started dissolving the CYA, go forward with the SLAM. Whatever the CYA was you were targeting use that to determine your SLAM level FC.

Alright thanks everyone! I'll squeeze out the rest of it and use a nylon sock next time. I've kinda been keeping the FC at 10 anyway. But I haven't mentally been in full-on SLAM mode. :D

I'm using hth stabilizer and in my past experience the actual amount I got out of the sock was about double the amount listed on the side of the jug. So it says for a 20,000 gallon pool, to raise the level to 10ppm add 2 lbs. I'm already at 20ppm even though the sock is maybe about half-way dissolved. So maybe I'll end up around 40ppm. We'll see. Thanks again!

I'm using hth stabilizer and in my past experience the actual amount I got out of the sock was about double the amount listed on the side of the jug. So it says for a 20,000 gallon pool, to raise the level to 10ppm add 2 lbs. I'm already at 20ppm even though the sock is maybe about half-way dissolved. So maybe I'll end up around 40ppm. We'll see. Thanks again!
That's not good, I suspect a measuring error. The CYA in the container is accurate and if it says it should yield 20 ppm in your pool, then that's what it should yield. 40 is wa-a-a-ay to far off and you need to recheck your math to find the error.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just checked it today and the CYA is 40. If I'm super strict on being able to see the black dot, mayyybe it could get closer to 30, but I'm almost positive it's 40. I'll recheck the math tomorrow morning!

We round CYA up. If the dot disappears between 40 and 30 then call it 40 and move on.

Fill the pantyhose. Put in skimmer for 1 hour Go back out with gloves on and squeeze it all out. I’ve done it like this many times. In 1.5 hours it’s all out in the water. Once done get your brush out. This leaving it in the skimmer stuff for several days is for the birds.

I found the sock in skimmer extremely slow a couple years ago too -- probably depends on the skimmer style and how much flow is pulled through the sock (not much in my very wide skimmer). Suspending the sock a foot in front of the return jet works much better for me (a sockful dissolves in a few hours).

I fill the pantyhose and put in the skimmer for 1-2 hours. I then put on some long plastic gloves, pull out of skimmer, and squeeze ALL of it out of the stocking. It’s compmetely dissolved this way. All done. None of this wait 1-2 days to dissolve stuff.

I found I have very dry hands feeling after squeezing CYA so I now wear a plastic glove.

Reactions: Pperc
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.