Memphis, TN
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Need some help guys, about 2 years ago I replaced the motor and all the seals to my Sta-Rite Max E Pro pump. Over the winter I noticed a small seep coming from the typical shaft seal spot, rear seal plate lower side. I ordered new shaft seals and just put them in. Used gloves so didn't touch the seals and I bought the premium (name brand not amazon special) salt water shaft seals. Put it all back together and still seeing a very small seep again. Frustrating. My question is, is it possible the seal plate is causing it? I looked it over when I disassembled and didn't notice any defects but I did read somewhere in the threads about possible hairline cracks in them. The seal plate is the only thing I can think of that could cause the seep after new shaft seals, the pump housing is about 13 years old. Seal plate is $125 so didn't want to just order it to see. Thanks as always.

Also how long do shaft seals typically last?

Did you use a lubricant when installing the shaft seal?

I'm pretty sure I threw some magic lube on it but idk, I'm usually good about not putting any kind of seal in completely dry. I got interrupted a few times by the little one so could have missed that. Tomorrow I may pull it back apart and make sure to lube it up a little and see if that helps. Thanks for that.

I'm pretty sure I threw some magic lube on it but idk, I'm usually good about not putting any kind of seal in completely dry. I got interrupted a few times by the little one so could have missed that. Tomorrow I may pull it back apart and make sure to lube it up a little and see if that helps. Thanks for that.

Magic Lube is not the thing to use on the shaft seal.

When installing the seal parts, using a lubricant can help. However, you want something that provides only transient lubricity. You can use a seal installation lubricant such as P-80 or US Sealube or dish soap. A Hayward video suggests vegetable oil.

http://www.ussealmfg.com/pdfs/U.S.-SEALUBE.pdf

When installing a pump shaft seal, it is good practice to use the proper lubricant to make installing the seal easy without creating adverse conditions for the seal. Ideally, the lubricant should provide good lubricity for only a short period of time and then wash away.

If a lubricant, such as a silicone or Teflon based lubricant, is used, the seal won't be as secure as it should be during operation of the pump. This is because the seals are rotating against each other creating some level of torque.

Ok thank you for the info. I’ll do that tomorrow and inspect the seal plate closer. I’ll report back.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.