St. Pete, FL stopping by to say hi!

BeachBum21

May 21, 2020
Saint Petersburg, FL
Hello, all! This site has been eye-opening to say the least, and I’ve loved reading your posts and comments on here.

I’m Alie, business owner, wife, mom, and pool owner. (Although,it’s a really tiny pool.) But even tiny pools have problems and so I ventured here to see what I could find out about my little aquatic oasis.

I’ve learned quite a bit here and am truly grateful for everyone sharing their knowledge. Thank you!

Best wishes and sparkling water you all.

Thanks, Texas! (Does anyone call you Tex?) Maybe you can point me in the right direction. I have a 1,174 gallon Intex top ring that has decided to grow algae.

My TA is spot on (80), as are my CYA (40ppm) and FAC 4ppm) Should I head to the algae discussions, SLAM topics, or the borate discussions?

I’ve read that low pH can assist algae growth and to add borates/acid but also read that I need to SLAM my pool. Could you point a newbie in the right direction?
Many thanks!!

We got ya!!!! So until your kit gets here you can add some chlorine to your pool to start clearing up that algae. How many gallons do you think your pool is? We need to know this to tell you how much to add.

Wait until you see this wonderful tool! PoolMath down towards the bottom is a place to help you figure out your gallons.

I LOVE your intro! Laughter will get you lots of pool friends!! :hug:

Kim:kim:

Reactions: BeachBum21
Hi KimKats! Glad you got a laugh!

It’s an Intex 10’x2’ “top ring” (which auto-correct wants to change to ‘tooting’!). I did some quick math and came out at 1,174 gallons of water in the pool.

The absolutely fabulous Pool Math app suggested 12 oz of Borax for that size pool to raise the pH.

Any thoughts on where to start with bleach until I get my test kit? And could I experiment with both Borax and bleach or will I create mustard gas and destroy the neighborhood?)

(Also, I’m a complete data geek- par for the course being in marketing- so I cannot tell you how excited I am to have a more precise way to test my water! Total nerd. ?)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
“top ring” (which auto-correct wants to change to ‘tooting’!)
LOL I would have to leave it just because that is FUNNY!!

So here is your next pool job for us. Please fill out your signature. See the stuff about my pool below this? Kind of pool (tooting pool! hehe), size in gals., liquid chlorine, intex filter and pump, and what test kit you are getting. This will help us to just glance to see what you are working with. Go up to your name and click on it. The drop down box should have signature in it.

Kim:kim:

Hi Kim! So, thanks to all your advice and the posts on here, I've SLAMed the pool for the last two days with bleach, tracking just chlorine, brushing a ton, while using the strips to guesstimate/average the chlorine and CYA levels. And it's worked! (Almost). The water is a beautiful blue, but still the teeniest bit cloudy.

Q: So, I assume I just keep everything at my guesstimated SLAM levels until the water clears? I'd love to hear your thoughts on next steps because I'm so stinking close to having clear water again!

Also, my strips disagree with each other-because why not? :) Strip results below:
Strip 1 (Leslie's)
Strip 2 (AquaChek)
Total Hardness100N/A
Total Chlorine10+N/A
Free Chlorine20+10+
pH8.47.2
Total Alkalinity120120
CYA5050