Split main drains on the wall instead of bottom

SoCalSwimmer

Oct 8, 2019
Southern California
Hey everyone,

First time poster, long time reader. I'm having my 50 year old 20k gallon inground pool remodeled (new skimmer, drains, returns, adding hot tub, new deck, etc). Thing is, my contractor wants to put a split main drain on the wall, not the deep end bottom. He's got it punched out about 16" below the proposed water line, just under the skimmer (see pic). He said the cleaner would take care of the bottom. It just looks weird to me seeing the main drains just below the skimmer. I do trust the guy and he seems pretty knowledgeable, just doing some due diligence.

Is this legitimate? I've read on the forums that some people consider main drains on the bottom to be obsolete. Thoughts?

MainDrains.JPG

I say NOPE! The main reason for the main drain is to mix the cool and warmer water in my eyes. That will not happen with them up there. Also them being there can be a problem if someone does a flip turn on the wall there. Their feet can kick/push off of them.

Are the current lines to the old main drain still good? Is he trying to be lazy and save some labor by not having to dig up and replace the old lines?

I say no main drain or where they belong on the bottom.

I say NOPE! The main reason for the main drain is to mix the cool and warmer water in my eyes. That will not happen with them up there. Also them being there can be a problem if someone does a flip turn on the wall there. Their feet can kick/push off of them.

Are the current lines to the old main drain still good? Is he trying to be lazy and save some labor by not having to dig up and replace the old lines?

I say no main drain or where they belong on the bottom.

I'm not worried about a flip turn, as they're on the narrow wall side if that makes sense. You'd be swimming toward the width instead of length. Anyway, the old main line is original and clogged up. The old main never really worked since we moved in years ago.

Only reason to install those is to protect your pump in case you let the water fall below the skimmer or the skimmer is clogged. Are they going to be hard plumbed (home run) back to the equipment pad or into the skimmer?

I don’t see why you want more drains that high up on a wall near a skimmer. It will serve no functional purpose.

Only reason to install those is to protect your pump in case you let the water fall below the skimmer or the skimmer is clogged.

Put another skimmer in another side of the pool if you have one skimmer and want to accomplish that.

Only reason to install those is to protect your pump in case you let the water fall below the skimmer or the skimmer is clogged. Are they going to be hard plumbed (home run) back to the equipment pad or into the skimmer?
I'm not sure actually. Is Home run better than attach to skimmer? I do get a decent amount of debris so I assume they would protect the pump if skimmer is clogged. He said he is going to install a dedicated vacuum port for a pool sweep that will act as the bottom cleaner/circulator.

As far as a cleaner, get a robot. Do you really want to run your pump at a high rate, with your electric cost, versus a dedicated robot to clean the pool that does not use your pool pump? Let them put in the plumbing if you wish, but get a robot.

If you are unsure what you would use the side wall returns for, delete them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
He said he is going to install a dedicated vacuum port for a pool sweep that will act as the bottom cleaner/circulator.

My opinion is a vacuum sweep is the worst type of cleaner you can install. But the cheapest for a builder which is why you see them.

Use a robot or put in a pressure cleaning system that captures the dirt in its own bag.

Last edited:
My opinion on why main drains are on the bottom are:
1) Historically there was a risk of entrapment from the suction (before VGBA). So they put them on the bottom so people would be less likely to get attached.
2) Dirt settles on the bottom and since old style suction and pressure cleaners aren't really that good, the main drain would also take in some debris. Though by their new design (VGBA and raised) they aren't very good at that except for the channel drains - great design.
3) Provides a point of suction far from the skimmers to circulate water better. Old pools didn't have as many heaters as today. We buy a lot more appliances these days.
4) Easy way to drain the pool if you just close off the skimmer valve (though many were also plumbed to the skimmer defeating this benefit).

And now that yours are on the side:
1) Because of VGBA drains entrapment is not an issue.
2) Robots are so good you won't even notice the difference vs. if the main drain had been working.
3) Have the PB install a deep return to help circulate down low if desired.
4) You do lose this functionality. But you can easily use a submersible pump if needed.

I have the 2 wall drains nearer the floor. I like them very much as they're plumbed independently of the skimmer and I can open/shut my skimmer or the wall drains depending on what I want to accomplish. If for some reason my water dropped below my skimmer my pump would not suck air as the wall drains are feeding it also.
Conversely back in the dinosaur days of manual vacuuming we could close the floor drains a bit and the pump's suction would increase the pull on the skimmer, making it work better.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.