Feb 1, 2021
San Antonio
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all,
Question from a new pool owner. Am I able to program my equipment so that the valve shuts off all the water to the spa when in pool mode? This is a view of my current setup when I run the pool filter. As you can see, water is constantly flowing to the spa creating the spillover when in pool mode. My hopes are to program the equipment to run 3 ways: spa only, pool only, and pool/spa "spillover" option. Thank you! 20220114_172607.jpg

Thank you. We have the Hayward Omni Hub smart control. With the spillover constantly running while in pool mode (in addition to newish plaster), my pH adjustments/demand have been all over the place.

Great. As far as I know that system should support Spillover. Have you checked in the documentation of the system and see that Spillover / Spillway is a function you can use?

OmniHub is simply the wireless gateway. What actual automation system do you have? OmniLogic, ProLogic, AquaLogic?

Great. Our Wiki on that system does not show anything specific to engage Spillway so it must be available in the normal programming.

To use it, you need to adjust the actuator on your return side so that in Pool Mode the Spa is closed off and in Spa Mode the 'Return Pool' side is closed off. The 'Return Spa' is all ready closed off.

Do you know how to adjust the actuator? This should help - Valve Actuators - Further Reading

Before diving into the actuator, be sure that it is turned on. Check the toggle switch on it. OFF is the middle setting. Check that first.

Great. Our Wiki on that system does not show anything specific to engage Spillway so it must be available in the normal programming.

To use it, you need to adjust the actuator on your return side so that in Pool Mode the Spa is closed off and in Spa Mode the 'Return Pool' side is closed off. The 'Return Spa' is all ready closed off.

Do you know how to adjust the actuator? This should help - Valve Actuators - Further Reading
After the adjustments, would I need to manually open the "return spa" to engage spillover in pool mode? Or can the actuator be programmed to: 1) Pool Mode the Spa is closed off 2) Spa Mode the 'Return Pool' side is closed off 3) pool mode the spa is open (the same as the picture) for spillover? Sorry for any potential confusion.

Once you get the actuator working the way you want. Then in your programming you will schedule Pool Mode for whatever time you need and put the pool in Spillover mode twice a day for 20 minutes or so. You will leave the ‘Return Spa’ valve off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
tx,

The Return and Intake valve are both normally in the Pool mode or in the Spa mode.. In the Spillover mode, the Intake valve is in the pool mode and the Return valve is in the Spa mode.

This means that water is sucked from the pool and returned to the spa.

Actuators can only have two positions, for all practical purposes, actuators can't move to three positions.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: SoDel and txhorns16
tx,

The Return and Intake valve are both normally in the Pool mode or in the Spa mode.. In the Spillover mode, the Intake valve is in the pool mode and the Return valve is in the Spa mode.

This means that water is sucked from the pool and returned to the spa.

Actuators can only have two positions, for all practical purposes, actuators can't move to three positions.

Thanks,

Jim R.
FYI - Here is feedback I received from the builder re: stopping the spillover. "So in order to stop the spillover from the hot tub it would require recaming that valve. We do not recommend it because without flow your spa will go stagnant."

Right, if you do not run the Spillover Mode twice a day. Or just use the 'Return Spa' valve for a continuous spillover, though with less water.

Recamming the valve is really pretty easy. See the Wiki I linked above. First, check to be sure the valve actuator is turned on.

tx,

Your pool builder is 100% correct.. No one here is saying to do away with the spillover altogether.

There are three ways to have a spillover:

1. Use a Make-up valve and plumbing at the equipment pad. Used by builders that have a clue as to what they are doing. (Has to be installed)
2. Offset the Return valve. Used by lazy builders and saves $50 bucks by not having to install a make-up valve system.
3. Use the "Spillover" mode in pools that have automation systems.

If you use #1 or 2, your spillover will run anytime you are the pool mode, and the pump is running.
If you use #3, you control when you want the spillover to run.. Usually just a total of an hour a day, or if you want to show off.. :mrgreen: All you need to do is program your automation system.

Thanks,

Jim R.

See page 18 in https://www.hayward-pool.com/assets/documents/pools/pdf/manuals/omnilogic-hlbase-operation.pdf

See if you have the SPILLOVER button.

If not you need to fix your configuration as described in https://www.hayward-pool.com/assets/documents/pools/pdf/manuals/omnilogic-hlbase-install.pdf You need to use the Configuration Wizard. See page 33 and answer YES FOR...

Do you have Spillover? Select yes to this question if you have Spillover in your system. If yes is selected, choose the valves that will operate Spillover from the following screen.

Then you can set your programming to refresh the spa water twice a day and it will not become stagnant. I run my spillover at 9AM and 1PM for 15 minutes to refresh the water at the start of the day and mid-afternoon.

Your builder does not understand how to use the full features of your OmniLogic system.

Reactions: txhorns16
It looks/sounds like all that is needed is a cam adjustment on the actuator to close the spa when in pool mode...? So, I can either manually open the spa return valve to create a spillover in pool mode or program the Omni to run spillover mode daily for a couple of minutes. Thanks for your help everyone.

See page 18 in https://www.hayward-pool.com/assets/documents/pools/pdf/manuals/omnilogic-hlbase-operation.pdf

See if you have the SPILLOVER button.

If not you need to fix your configuration as described in https://www.hayward-pool.com/assets/documents/pools/pdf/manuals/omnilogic-hlbase-install.pdf You need to use the Configuration Wizard. See page 33 and answer YES FOR...

Do you have Spillover? Select yes to this question if you have Spillover in your system. If yes is selected, choose the valves that will operate Spillover from the following screen.

Then you can set your programming to refresh the spa water twice a day and it will not become stagnant. I run my spillover at 9AM and 1PM for 15 minutes to refresh the water at the start of the day and mid-afternoon.

Your builder does not understand how to use the full features of your OmniLogic system.

I just wanted to say thanks for these instructions. The builder didn't setup my spillover either in my omnipl and I was always annoyed that I had to manually turn the spa valve on or off when in pool mode depending on if I wanted to mix the spa water. Many times I wanted to keep the spa water separate because it was heated and I turned on pool mode not realizing the spa valve was open.

Now I can use spillover and automation and never have to deal with manually turning the spa on and off in pool mode, I'll just leave it off. Trying spillover mode now with solar heating on thinking I should get a few degrees bump in the spa because return water is hitting the spa first. I did take a 5GPH reduction at the same RPM's in flow, but I think it'll be worth it.

Is there is ever a good use case for going back to what I was doing before, running pool mode with pool and spa on when you could just run spillover mode via automation instead?

B,

Just to make sure we are all on the same page. The only way to get fresh chlorinated water into your spa is to run the spillover mode. Normally, you do this once or twice a day for half an hour or so, just to keep the spa water fresh.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: brimorga
B,

Just to make sure we are all on the same page. The only way to get fresh chlorinated water into your spa is to run the spillover mode. Normally, you do this once or twice a day for half an hour or so, just to keep the spa water fresh.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Agree, but I have 2 ways to run spillover.

1). drain from pool, return via spa and pool (manual)
2). drain from pool, return via spa (automated)

I had been doing #1, now just figured out how to enable "spillover" mode and do #2. Now I'm wondering if it makes sense to ever bother with #1 again.

Hey everyone, I have a quick follow up question regarding the programming of Spillover Mode. My pool builder did not install actuators so I have ordered them myself to get installed sometime next week. My question would be if I schedule the spillover mode to come on 4 times a day for 15 min or twice a day for 30 mins....do I schedule this on top of the "normal running schedule" or do I need to account for spillover mode in the normal schedule? Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.