SpeedStir

I see two different packages on the market right now. And some reviews are not so positive about the quality and some devices stopped working after a season. Does anyone know which package is the new one. Taylor website could be misleading a bit in that matter. Sometimes a tiny improvement is made and I would prefer to order the latest version.

1599252662681.png1599252680277.png

I see two different packages on the market right now. And some reviews are not so positive about the quality and some devices stopped working after a season. Does anyone know which package is the new one. Taylor website could be misleading a bit in that matter. Sometimes a tiny improvement is made and I would prefer to order the latest version.

View attachment 161104View attachment 161105
What @mknauss said. I ordered the kit that came with the speedstir and I use it every time I test my water....I also ordered extra magnets but don't tend to use them.

I see two different packages on the market right now.

View attachment 161104View attachment 161105

There are two versions of the Speed Stir. One is battery powered and the other is powered by a wall wart. Obviously the one pictured on the left is the battery powered one but not sure about the one on the right as I cannot see the part number to compare with the left picture.

The battery powered one is more useful around the pool and the batteries seems to last me a whole season so not really a consideration.

I'm going to go a little against the grain. I got my TF-100 last year. I got the Speedstir a few weeks ago. It's definitely cool and fun, but definitely unnecessary. I do the OTO and PH test almost every day. I do the FAS-DPD, TA, CYA and CH once a week. So I use the Speedstir for three tests per week. The results have been exactly the same with and without the Speedstir. If you plan on doing the FAS-DPD test every day, that would make a difference. But if you test as I do, it's basically a little bit of a convenience, and a fun toy.

I'm going to go a little against the grain. I got my TF-100 last year. I got the Speedstir a few weeks ago. It's definitely cool and fun, but definitely unnecessary. I do the OTO and PH test almost every day. I do the FAS-DPD, TA, CYA and CH once a week.
I'm going with the grain. Specifically the grains of R-0870 powder. With the SpeedStir, the powder dissolves instantly, much faster, easier, and more consistently than hand swirling. I never waste my time with the OTO test and do the FAS-DPD test every couple of days. Plus when I do TA & CH with 2 extra vials & magnets, testing goes faster.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
i love the speedstir...it has made my test results so much more consistent. i only use it once a week when i do my full water test suite, but it's still worth it. my CH and salt numbers dropped by a ton when i started using the speed stir...it's just not possible to get that even complete mixture when swirling by hand IMO.

also, not sure how everyone is getting the magnet out of the vial when done with the tests, but i also picked up one of these to avoid having to touch the test water and keep it in my TF-100 box. i use it to grab the bar and drop it onto a paper towel to clean it off, then i can dump the vial into a red solo cup to go down the drain when i'm finished with all of my tests. i have the cup labeled to make sure nobody picks it up and tries to use it for drinking.

i love the speedstir...it has made my test results so much more consistent. i only use it once a week when i do my full water test suite, but it's still worth it. my CH and salt numbers dropped by a ton when i started using the speed stir...it's just not possible to get that even complete mixture when swirling by hand IMO.

also, not sure how everyone is getting the magnet out of the vial when done with the tests, but i also picked up one of these to avoid having to touch the test water and keep it in my TF-100 box. i use it to grab the bar and drop it onto a paper towel to clean it off, then i can dump the vial into a red solo cup to go down the drain when i'm finished with all of my tests. i have the cup labeled to make sure nobody picks it up and tries to use it for drinking.

I was wondering the same thing. I dump the solution out into my hand and catch the pill.

Also, my pill got black stains the first time I did the FAS-DPD test. Is that normal?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy using the Speedstir. But, like I said, it's only three tests a week.

The color change chlorine test and the pH test are not very accurate. I bought a pH meter because it is quick and easy. I test my FC with FAS-DPD everyday. I test most of the rest about once a week. I do not test CYA or CH very often, since they do not change. And these days, I just pull my salt level from the SWG display.

And I keep track of them on paper & with the Pool Math app. And I keep track of my additions and my SWG settings, along with temp and weather conditions.

Domination.jpg

I was wondering the same thing. I dump the solution out into my hand and catch the pill.

Also, my pill got black stains the first time I did the FAS-DPD test. Is that normal?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy using the Speedstir. But, like I said, it's only three tests a week.

yeah, it's only three tests a week but still worth it IMO. that's what i was getting at.

as far as the pill being stained, mine is a little darker than it was when it arrived but not overly so. also, not sure dumping the solution into your hand is the greatest idea considering the reagents are carcinogens. that's why i use the telescoping magnet.

I generally dilute mine with running tap water before I pour the pill into my hand. I am certain I've had much worse on my hands, and in much higher concentrations, than the trace amounts I might get from my pool testing.

--Jeff

Reactions: Jeff J.
I'm going with the grain. Specifically the grains of R-0870 powder. With the SpeedStir, the powder dissolves instantly, much faster, easier, and more consistently than hand swirling. I never waste my time with the OTO test and do the FAS-DPD test every couple of days. Plus when I do TA & CH with 2 extra vials & magnets, testing goes faster.
I do almost the exact same process. Each test has its separate vials and stirrers as well. Thanks @Rocket J Squirrel

I've kind of set up a water lab in my basement (walk out to the pool). I don't have any plumbing in the basement, so I use an old skimmer basket placed inside a small (clean) chemical bucket, to act as a strainer. I pour my used sample into the strainer to capture the stir, and the sample goes in the bucket. I usually get two full tests before the bucket needs emptied. It may not be the best setup, but it works great for me.

Reactions: Jeff J.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.