Spa water line goes down when pump is off; main pool waterline goes up

cflannagan

Gold Supporter
Apr 2, 2011
Palm Harbor, Florida
We have had this issue for about 2 weeks - spa waterline would go down by maybe 6 or so inches while the main pool will go up (by 1/4 inches or so maybe, obviously because of bigger surface area).

This makes me think the 2-way valve (that handles flow from spa drain) might need to be looked at & replaced.

Got in touch with pool repair company; they looked at photos I shared and said they might need to change other valves too, the total job could end up being $1,250. If it's just the check valve, it'd be $195.

I got a bit uneasy during the phone call and wanted to ask for opinions here - sure, it's possible the other valves could have problems too which in that case replacing others would certainly seem justified. But is it relatively common for multiple valves to go bad needing replacement here? Just wanted to hear initial thoughts from others here before I contact the pool repair company again before proceeding with the job. I want to make sure I'm not being taken advantage of (are valve issues visible & clear if I ask them to show it to me?).

Thanks in advance!

(I am working on attaching photos of the pool equipment)

Attachments

• IMG_1075 2.png
    IMG_1075 2.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1076 2.png
    IMG_1076 2.png
    571.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1077 2.png
    IMG_1077 2.png
    528.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1078 2.png
    IMG_1078 2.png
    361.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
C,

If your spa drains down to just under the jets and stops, then a bad or dirty check valve is the cause about 95% of the time. That said, I don't see a check valve in your pics.. Show us some pics from the sides of the equipment rather than from the top...

Also keep in mind that if it is an old style check valve they often have to be cut out and replaced, which increases the replacement costs..

It is almost never a standard Jandy valve issue.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Sorry, I might have used wrong term and there is no check valve - I added photo with my annotations (I hope "valve" is still the correct term for those parts of pool equipment where I turn the lever?)

The problem is there's a heater in front of the pool equipment, so taking good photo of that side would be tricky. If you still need photos from that angle, I'll take some more (and try my best)

Attachments

• IMG_1077 2.png
    IMG_1077 2.png
    518 KB · Views: 12
C,

If you have a raised spa, that overflows into the pool, then in most cases there is a check valve.. It may not look like a check valve..

Yeah it is raised spa overflowing into pool.

Added some more photos for context. The "check valve" wouldn't be that dirty looking orange-ish see-thru bulb-shaped thing in the 1st photo right?

Edit: Ahh the orangish thing in my first photo attached to this comment has "Flo Control" label on it. Searched for it on Amazon, this came up. It's the check valve isn't it? Amazon.com : Flo Control 1720C20 2" Swing Check Valve Union Clear : Swimming Pool Filter Valves : Garden & Outdoor

makes me wonder if I should try replacing that part myself. I have to admit, before talking to you, I didn't think about this from gravity POV.. I keep thinking the 2-way valve that controls the spa drain might be broken inside but now thinking about it from gravity, yeah, with ability to control backflow (due to gravity) broken, I should have looked at that check valve first.

Attachments

• IMG_1082.png
    IMG_1082.png
    325.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1083.png
    IMG_1083.png
    305.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1084.png
    IMG_1084.png
    266.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
C,

Sure looks like a check valve to me.. The good news is that it has unions.. Most I have seen are glued in, making repair a real task.

For $50 bucks, I'd try replacing it myself, before getting a pool maintenance guy involved..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: cflannagan
Update: It was the check valve!

Paid $62 (taxes included) at local pool supply store (didn't want to wait on Amazon, I needed to know if this is the issue before the pool repair company appointment on Monday). Had to also invest into a PVC plier tool (~$16, Home Depot) when I had trouble getting the unions loose to remove the bad check valve. Completed the replacement job.

This morning, checked the spa waterline. It held at the same level overnight!

Money saved: ~$110 (pool repair company quoted me $195 for check valve replacement) Once again Trouble Free Pool helps save us money. Thank you again @Jimrahbe !

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.