rbab407

Dec 15, 2021
Florida
We recently had our 25 year old pool and spa renovated - new waterline tile, pebble finish, etc. The spa jets were tossed during their demo and as such they had to order replacements which finally arrived today. They installed the replacement jets today and we have a few problems:

1. When in spa mode, the pressure from the jets is weak and no bubbles occur.
2. When in spa mode the venturi pipe starts to gush washer. The gushing is made worse if you cover one or more of the weak jets.
3. Two of the newly installed jets fell right out when the spa mode was engaged. We were able to screw them back in but it seems odd to me that these would just fall out so easily.
4. Coincidentally my spa light is also now having issues. It comes on but very dimly. We're told it's just a bad bulb (wow, coincidence it happens at this time!) and that we need a $600 light replacement!

We've had a few issues to note during the course of renovation:
1. The spa drains were cracked and we were losing water. They repaired these.
2. The bubbler base was plastered in during the plaster phase and could not be screwed on/off any more. To "repair" they instead added another pipe and now it gets pushed in/out to be added or removed.

What could be causing the weak pressure, venturi water flow and lack of bubbles? I imagine these items are all related to each other. The pool contractor is being a bit difficult about this and his tech states it's "normal" for these older spa jets to not bubble. I don't see how it can be normal given that it always bubbled fine and had strong pressure prior to their renovation. I've read a few posts that state it may be debris, but how do I figure this out? Blow through the venturi pipe that's sticking out in my yard? Or below through the jets themselves?

At my wit's end here. The pool looks great post renovation but what good are looks if it isn't functioning properly?

We recently had our 25 year old pool and spa renovated - new waterline tile, pebble finish, etc. The spa jets were tossed during their demo and as such they had to order replacements which finally arrived today. They installed the replacement jets today and we have a few problems:

1. When in spa mode, the pressure from the jets is weak and no bubbles occur.
2. When in spa mode the venturi pipe starts to gush washer. The gushing is made worse if you cover one or more of the weak jets.
3. Two of the newly installed jets fell right out when the spa mode was engaged. We were able to screw them back in but it seems odd to me that these would just fall out so easily.
4. Coincidentally my spa light is also now having issues. It comes on but very dimly. We're told it's just a bad bulb (wow, coincidence it happens at this time!) and that we need a $600 light replacement!
5. The bubbler pipe is coming off when in spa mode.

We've had a few issues to note during the course of renovation:
1. The spa drains were cracked and we were losing water. They repaired these.
2. The bubbler base was plastered in during the plaster phase and could not be screwed on/off any more. To "repair" they instead added another pipe and now it gets pushed in/out to be added or removed.

What could be causing the weak pressure, venturi water flow and lack of bubbles? I imagine these items are all related to each other. The pool contractor is being a bit difficult about this and his tech states it's "normal" for these older spa jets to not bubble. I don't see how it can be normal given that it always bubbled fine and had strong pressure prior to their renovation. I've read a few posts that state it may be debris, but how do I figure this out? Blow through the venturi pipe that's sticking out in my yard? Or below through the jets themselves?

At my wit's end here. The pool looks great post renovation but what good are looks if it isn't functioning properly?

No, it is not normal for spa jets to not bubble. Hopefully, you held back final payment.

Was anything else done during the reno? Changed a pump or any of the spa plumbing besides the MD.

Are the spa jets run off the main pump? What is the filter pressure when the jets are running?

More than likely the reno created some debris that is now stuck in the jet nozzles. Remove all outer spa jet fixtures (e.g. eyeballs, spinners) and also remove all inner spa jet nozzles with a long socket wrench (9/16"). Then run the pump to flush out the lines. Reinstall everything and see if there is any improvement. Report back the filter pressure.

I know I'm a bit late here, but everything that you have described points to issues with the jets. The fact that water comes gushing out of your venturi pipe when it's in spa mode is a strong indication that something is wrong with your jets. And the fact that this issue started happening right after your jets were replaced supports this theory.

It could be a variety of issues, such as: jets installed incorrectly, jets are cracked / missing pieces, new jets are too restrictive for the amount of water flow going to them, one or a few of the jets has some sort of clog / blockage.

If everything besides the jets remained constant, then it's almost certainly an issue with the jets. If during the renovation you replaced your water pump and / or increased the speed of your water pump, this could also be the culprit.

I suggest you pull out all the jets, make sure they're assembled correctly with no cracks, missing pieces, or blockages. If all looks good there, make sure the jets are in the open position if they're adjustable. To test if the jets are the issue, you can always pull 1 or 2 of the jets out and run it in spa mode again. If water no longer comes gushing out of the venturi pipe, that basically confirms the jets being the issue. You may have to change the jets out for ones with larger openings.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.