dbo_texas

Oct 8, 2019
Pflugerville, TX
We are troubleshooting an issue with our new pool in Texas, built by Anthony & Sylvan. We have a tiled spillway and when we turn up the pump speed we get a nice sheer flow and it doesn't run down the split face stone. However, in the daytime when we aren't using the pool the pump is on low for circulation, it runs down the split face stone (see photo). It's my understanding that we have to run it over the spillway, otherwise the spa won't circulate. We intend to convert our pool to saltwater (everything's installed, just need to make the switch) but my concerns are twofold, first regardless of the type of chlorination we use, I imagine this water flow over time will result in mineral deposition on that stone, making it look ugly. Second, the split face tile is travertine and I'm concerned it won't hold up over time once we convert to salt water with that water running over it for 8 hours a day.

A&S has offered us two solutions, either we replace the spillway tile with travertine that juts out further or tile down the face of the hot tub. They say travertine is compatible with salt water pools, though they told us otherwise at the beginning of the design process. Are these really our only two options? Which would you choose? This is our first build, so any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0370.jpg
    IMG_0370.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 228
dbo,

If you have an automation system, there is a 3rd option... Most automation systems have a spillway function, which allow you to only run the spillway to chlorinate your spa, and not all the time.

Basically, you set a schedule to run the spillway function, at the speed you want, for half an hour a couple of times a day.

Please fill out your pool's signature so that we can all see what have and can answer your questions better. You can use my signature as an example. Go to Setting, and then signature.

Thanks,

Jim R.

If you can fashion a drip edge under the tile overhang it should fix the problem. Right now water adhesion is causing it to flow back and over the stone. this is similar to what is needed with shingle overhang on a roof to keep water from flowing back against the fascia board. Note: I know nothing about how to do this in a pool, but it's physics and it should be doable. A small relief cut underneath may well do the job. Worst case it doesn't work and you replace it which is your plan anyway.

dbo,

If you have an automation system, there is a 3rd option... Most automation systems have a spillway function, which allow you to only run the spillway to chlorinate your spa, and not all the time.

Basically, you set a schedule to run the spillway function, at the speed you want, for half an hour a couple of times a day.

Please fill out your pool's signature so that we can all see what have and can answer your questions better. You can use my signature as an example. Go to Setting, and then signature.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I added my info in the signature. We are trying to figure out if we can do this, new to iAquaLink, but we like that suggestion.

I’m not familiar with that automation, but I’m sure it can. The builder likely included a spa return run in the main pool run. So, when in pool mode, some water flows into the spa. In the age of automation (we’ve been in this age for 15+ years!), this is not necessary. I manually closed mine on day 1 and never wished it was open.

Grab your manual and see if you can find out how to program a spillway. There should be 3 possible main modes:

Pool mode: Suck water from pool, push water back to pool only (as long as you keep that one valve closed)
Spa mode: Suck water from spa, push water back to spa only
Spillover mode: Suck water from pool, push water back to spa only

You can then program a schedule to run in spillover mode for 30mins - 1 hour a day (or whatever your preference is). This will refresh the water in there. No need for it to dribble down all day.

Last edited:
One thing you could do is tile it all the way to the water...then install a splash block on both sides....it will definitely change the aesthetic though...just an idea
The problem with ledger stone is that water will "crawl" along the wall no matter how far you push out the spill, without something stopping the water from crawling the walls you will have water there...

You can definitely program a schedule for your spillover, that's what I did for my spa (don't ask me how I did it, because I can't remember). You can also adjust the valves to get the spill over cascading water as opposed to dribbling it down the stone face, but you have to be careful to not constrict the water flow to you pool returns too much or you'll negatively impact your pool circulation.

I don't typically run my spillover mode daily, as it tends to cause the water ph to rise. I mainly have that option in my menu to run it when people are over, etc., it just looks nice. Thus, water does dribble over the face of my spillway while the pool pumps are running and calcium deposits will build up if I don't manage them properly. To manage them I just mix a spray bottle with half water and half muratic acid and then spray the build up spots. If I don't stay on top of it calcium deposits build up and then I have to scrape them off with a plastic putty knife.

Attachments

• Spillover.jpg
    Spillover.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 44
You can definitely program a schedule for your spillover, that's what I did for my spa (don't ask me how I did it, because I can't remember). You can also adjust the valves to get the spill over cascading water as opposed to dribbling it down the stone face, but you have to be careful to not constrict the water flow to you pool returns too much or you'll negatively impact your pool circulation.

I don't typically run my spillover mode daily, as it tends to cause the water ph to rise. I mainly have that option in my menu to run it when people are over, etc., it just looks nice. Thus, water does dribble over the face of my spillway while the pool pumps are running and calcium deposits will build up if I don't manage them properly. To manage them I just mix a spray bottle with half water and half muratic acid and then spray the build up spots. If I don't stay on top of it calcium deposits build up and then I have to scrape them off with a plastic putty knife.
Just trying to understand - when it is in "SPILLOVER" mode, are you completely shutting off the pool returns and pumping all the water through the Spa? And then when you go back to "POOL" mode, you completely shut off the spa jets and spa return, having all water go to the pool only? Right now, in "Pool" mode most of the water goes to the pool, but some goes to the Spa return and also the Spa jets. At a low, power efficient pump speed (1950 rpm), the water dribbles down the spa face. If we turn the pump up to about 2750 rpm which is about 3/4 speed, the water shoots out just fine - no problem. But we don't want to run at the higher speed all day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just trying to understand - when it is in "SPILLOVER" mode, are you completely shutting off the pool returns and pumping all the water through the Spa? And then when you go back to "POOL" mode, you completely shut off the spa jets and spa return, having all water go to the pool only? Right now, in "Pool" mode most of the water goes to the pool, but some goes to the Spa return and also the Spa jets. At a low, power efficient pump speed (1950 rpm), the water dribbles down the spa face. If we turn the pump up to about 2750 rpm which is about 3/4 speed, the water shoots out just fine - no problem. But we don't want to run at the higher speed all day.

Spillover mode is just what I named the function. My pool pump normally runs at 1750 rpms in "pool" mode, just as your set up is (most water going to pool returns with some going to the spa). When I turn on my "spillover" mode the pump simply runs at 3450 rpms which makes the water coming over the spillover cascade in a sheet of water as opposed to a dribble.

First and most importantly, how did you convince A&S to install a saltwater chlorinator? I spoke with them early on and there was NO wiggle room on that. They said salt destroys everything, they don't do it, they'd never warranty anything so they don't do it under any circumstance. I didn't push back too hard as it was early, but there was no wiggle room, maybe at the end if you demand after they've done tons of work, perhaps, but I didn't see that avenue. A&S doesn't use Pentair, they use A&A, so unsure how their spillway mode works or whether it's included. (Quick googling of A&A systems doesn't seem to show they have a dedicated mode, and I know A&S exclusive uses A&A.)

Your issue is pretty straight forward, you need enough pressure from the pump pumping into the pool to get enough volume of water to go over the spillway to not dribble off. You've got a few options:

1) Figure out if your spa has a true spillway mode, meaning spa mains closed, pool mains open and spa returns/jets (no air blower) are open. You will need a reasonable amount of pump speed, but you shouldn't need full speed. You can run this for 30-60 minutes a day and your circulation stuff is covered. I don't think all automations have this mode.

2) Determine the right pump speed for your pump to create the desired effect in Pool mode. If you have bubblers, fountains, skimmers and other things on the same pump/return line, you can close the non-essential ones.

3) Replace with glass tile and let it dribble. I wouldn't do travertine directly on salt water for continued operation like that.

4) You could put an actuator on the spa return and shut that down via automation and just open it up for when you're main pump is high speed.

Spillover mode is just what I named the function. My pool pump normally runs at 1750 rpms in "pool" mode, just as your set up is (most water going to pool returns with some going to the spa). When I turn on my "spillover" mode the pump simply runs at 3450 rpms which makes the water coming over the spillover cascade in a sheet of water as opposed to a dribble.
OK yeah it sounds like yours is set up identical to ours right now. I have one of the AUX set up to boost the pump speed when we have people over and everything looks great. We are just trying to figure out how to keep the water from dribbling down the stone face when pump is at low speed during the day.

I believe the above explains how to set it up with Jandy automation. Do you have a bypass for when you are in Pool mode that the spa gets some water or are your valve actuators set to let a little water to the spa?

I believe the above explains how to set it up with Jandy automation. Do you have a bypass for when you are in Pool mode that the spa gets some water or are your valve actuators set to let a little water to the spa?
The way ours is set up the spa return is open in pool mode (manual valve stays open all the time). When we flip on spa mode, a valve actuator closes off the pool and spa returns and all water goes through the spa jets. Here is a picture of the return plumbing (below). I looked at that Jandy Aqualink RS guide you posted but not sure I fully understand it...I'll need to re-read it. You will notice in the picture below that they put a valve actuator on the "waterfall" feature - this is a shear water feature we have on a raised wall in the pool...it was also dribbling down the facing when pump was at low speed (1750 rpm). They installed the valve so at least we can close that off during the day when we aren't home. We only turn that on when we have people over and kick up the pump speed.
plumbing.jpg

So if you use the Spillover to maintain your spa water, you would close the manual valve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.