Spa slower drains when heated

ChadJB

Dec 19, 2019
TEXAS
New pool owner, purchased home where previous owner had pool for many years. I have learned a lot about the system through trial and error but current issue has me stumped. It is a complete pentair filtration/pump/heater set up. Pool and spa combo with spa slightly raised with spillover.
When heating the spa i lose water from the spa to the pool. It happens slowly and when the spa mode is turned off it will resume normal water level. The system has two automatic actuator valves that seem to be working correctly as they move in tandem closing off the pool side when spa mode is turned on and vice versa spa mode is turned off.
Could i have a bad valve or possibly need to replace the internals, like the diverter? Or should i check something else first?

Chad,

A couple of things that could cause that problem are..

1. The two actuators are not moving the Intake and Return valves to the fully closed or open positions.

2. The diverter gaskets, inside the valves, are worn out and leaking.

When in the Spa mode, the spillover should be zero.. Are you saying that the spillover still works but at a slower rate when in the spa mode?

When in the spa mode, all the water should be sucked from the spa and returned to the spa..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks. I believe the actuators are moving to a fully closed position from what i see. The spillover does stop when in spa mode so think it is the diverter gaskets inside the valve that is allow a slow amount of water to seep from the spa system into the pool.

Chad,

If the water is not going over the spillover, then I agree, as there is no other way for the water to get back to the pool that I can think of..

Just to make sure.. We are talking about with the spa in use and the pump running, right?

If the spa drains back into the pool with the pump off, then the problem is the check valve in the return line.

The only problem I see with the diverter theory, is that I would think it would be a very small leak and take forever for you to notice it.

I am also assuming that you only have one pump and that it runs either the pool or the spa?

How long does it take to notice?

If it is the diverter valve, it should the the Return valve and not the Intake valve.

Good luck,

Jim R.

Correct, spa in use and pump running. And correct only one pump on the pool spa system. The water level drops during the heat process and additionally as you sit in the spa. I would say if it is for an hour and a half the water level would drop 8" or so.

Chad,

Do you have what is called a "make up line"? This is a pipe, usually with a valve, that lets water by-pass the Return valve when in the pool mode.. The valve adjusts the amount of water going to the spa spillover (when in the pool mode).

Next time you get a chance, show us some daylight pics of your equipment pad, especially the pipes around the Return valve.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Chad,

I see two red (broken) ball valves.. One has a check valve below it, which I assume is leaking.. Where does the other red valve go?

As a test, I would shut off both red valves and see what happens when you are in the spa mode..

My guess is that the check valve is leaking and allowing spa water to drain back through the check valve and into the pool return. Shutting off both check valves should stop any water flowing in those pipes.. This should also stop your spa spillover from working.

Does your spa drain back into the pool when the pump is off overnight?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,
Valve above check valve controls spa spillover rate and a small rock waterfall in pool. Have no idea what the smaller broker valve controls but will see if i cannot determine what it does tonight.
When the pump is turned off it does not drain the spa into the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a complete Pentair system also. I see you still have the puck feeder. I had mine hooked up but was not using it. I decided to just turn the little valve on it to full flow. When I did that my spa level went down also. I completely took the tab feeder off and plugged the holes in the pipe's that the feeder tubes went to ( I had an older model than yours , had inlet water tube and a outlet water tube). problem solved!

RPH,

A lot depends on how things are plumbed.. In the OP's case, the tab feeder only feeds the pool and is not in the water's path when in the spa mode.

But, I like your idea about removing the tab feeder... :mrgreen:

Jim R.

The 3 way valve just left of the puck feeder, rotate that handle 180 degrees from the position it's in in the picture. The handle should be pointing to the left from the camera's view point. Put the system in spa mode and report back.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.