kitno

Sep 16, 2021
New Braunfels, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We have a pool and spa combo (kidney shaped roughly 35'x15') built in 1985 with the original lights still (somewhat?) functional. Both lights are ~6" spa lights. The one in the spa functions perfectly and I have never even had to change the bulb in the 2.5 years we've been living here. The one in the pool I have had to change the bulb multiple times already and will sometimes flicker and turn itself off, but turns back on if i reset the switch. All in all they look great and it's just a pain changing the bulb so frequently plus worrying with how old they are that they could stop working any time. We are currently getting the pool resurfaced and I figured I'd upgrade the lights while it's all drained out and everything is easy to access.

After researching it seems like pool lights just generally suck and are expensive and now I'm not sure whether I should bother upgrading until these lights are no longer functional. Everything new seems to be LED now, which while I appreciate the lower power usage, I have not been able to find an equivalent lumen output. My current lights have 5500 lumen output and even the ~$700 fanciest most powerful lights (like this pentair intellibrite) I'm finding are more around the 3600 lumen range, and from reading reviews they seem to be going out after just a few years which (correct me if I'm wrong please) would require purchasing another full light at $700 and pulling the new cable through conduit every time or buying a whole new board for it which seems like it's $500+ anyways.

So I guess I'm just wondering what recommendations y'all have for spa sized lighting? I'd honestly like to find a new version of what I already have that uses bulbs that I can change out, but I'm not having any luck.

Yup, government regulations have limited your choice of pool lights.