quinnstefanie

Jan 1, 2023
Charlotte, NC
Hello, I am new to this group and a new pool owner as I just bought a house. My kids were very excited about the hot tub in this new house and sadly it is not operating correctly.

The pool has a Pentair MiniMax 400. This is an old model heater. This heater only has one service light and it does not tell you what the error is like newer models.

After heating for 10 minutes or so, it begins to cycle with service light coming on and off. As you can imagine, the cycling makes it take hours to heat the spa. It cycles about every five minutes.

What I have already tried:

1). Put in new high limit switches. Also tried bypassing them. Did not correct the issue.

2). Changed the thermastor with a new one. Did not correct the issue.

3). Installed a new thermal regulator. Did not correct the issue.

4). Bypassed the pressure switch. Did not correct the issue.

5). Tested heating just the pool rather than spa to see if there was some issue with the spa. Problem occurred just the same heating pool versus heating spa.

At this point, I am all out of ideas. I thought the the above would have fixed it. What other sensors Or switches are there that would cause the service light to come on intermittently??

Brandon

Welcome to TFP.

Short cycling is often caused by low water flow.

What type and model filter do you have?

What is the PSI of your filter?

When did you last clean your filter?

Last edited:
Filter is Pentair FNS Plus.

Pressure on filter is showing around 10 right now. It was reduced a lot after backwashed.

I backwashed the filter about a month ago and added the DE. I just bought the house. I have not actually had the filter cleaned yet.

Did you replace this flow valve?

img_9596-jpg.17226

Did you replace this flow valve?

img_9596-jpg.17226

Yes. I did replace that part. I don’t think the old one was bad but replaced it anyway. Did not fix the problem. I will get you the pump model in a moment.

Attached is the MiniMax Plus Service Manual. See page 30.

Also attached is the MiniMax Installation Manual.

Attachments

• MiniMax Plus Pool and Spa Heater Service Manual.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 7
  • MiniMaxPlusPowerMaxIG.pdf
    4.5 MB · Views: 1
You have a singe speed pump running at 3450 RPMS.

10 PSI is low for a Pentair FNS DE filter with a SS 2 HP pump.

Post pics of your equipment pad.

When did this problem begin?

When did the heater last work properly?

The problem has persisted since I bought the house several months ago and first try the heater. It could be new or possibly been this way for years. Don’t have a relationship with the previous homeowner.

Right now at the 10 psi, I am only running the pool and spa returns. I believe the psi goes up some when running the spa drain and cleaner. However, it stays below 20.

Attachments

• 50E87FA7-824B-4C6A-8CCA-BFCDF1BCD311.jpeg
    50E87FA7-824B-4C6A-8CCA-BFCDF1BCD311.jpeg
    548.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 648FF0F7-35A8-4969-B9FD-CAF1DC8104AC.jpeg
    648FF0F7-35A8-4969-B9FD-CAF1DC8104AC.jpeg
    575.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 0224D448-4254-4141-BDF2-642311C1F9B8.jpeg
    0224D448-4254-4141-BDF2-642311C1F9B8.jpeg
    528.8 KB · Views: 10
  • AE733824-D971-47CF-8C00-8E4DB6D56A29.jpeg
    AE733824-D971-47CF-8C00-8E4DB6D56A29.jpeg
    426.1 KB · Views: 9

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The arrow points to a valve that diverts water from your filter and heater to a cleaner line.

What type of cleaner do you have connected to this cleaner line?

You should close this line by turning the handle 90 degrees to the right so that all water flow goes through your filter and heater.

Do that and tell me what your filter PSI becomes and if the heater works better.

quinn.jpeg

The problem has persisted since I bought the house several months ago and first try the heater. It could be new or possibly been this way for years. Don’t have a relationship with the previous homeowner.

Right now at the 10 psi, I am only running the pool and spa returns. I believe the psi goes up some when running the spa drain and cleaner. However, it stays below 20.
Is this a propane heater? If so, is your tanks at least 50% full? What else is on that gas line? It appears that the supply splits, though can't really see behind the leaves in the picture. MiniMax heaters were extremely sensitive to low gas pressure and can have the issue you describe. Have you cleaned the flame-sense rod?

The arrow points to a valve that diverts water from your filter and heater to a cleaner line.

What type of cleaner do you have connected to this cleaner line?

You should close this line by turning the handle 90 degrees to the right so that all water flow goes through your filter and heater.

Do that and tell me what your filter PSI becomes and if the heater works better.

View attachment 467305
I will give it a try. Please standby. It seems like I may have tried the heater with the cleaner closed but maybe not. I will try.

It is a Polaris vacuum cleaner.

Show me pics of the way your valves are when in SPA mode.

Is this a propane heater? If so, is your tanks at least 50% full? What else is on that gas line? It appears that the supply splits, though can't really see behind the leaves in the picture. MiniMax heaters were extremely sensitive to low gas pressure and can have the issue you describe. Have you cleaned the flame-sense rod?
It is all natural gas. It is high pressure.

Attachments

• 3CE141D3-BC1F-492A-A5E8-9391262C3914.jpeg
    3CE141D3-BC1F-492A-A5E8-9391262C3914.jpeg
    453.4 KB · Views: 3
It is all natural gas. It is high pressure.
That regulator steps the pressure down to less than .5psig (10" water column). Do the following first.
Where is the flame rod? That is an interesting idea. Have not addressed that yet.
Looks like this, has a single wire running to it. Don't use sandpaper. Literally a newer dollar bill works great.
1672624263987.png

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.