Spa overflow not working - no circulation through spa or jets

xLunchboxx

Jul 22, 2021
St Petersburg, FL
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
As the title said, I'm getting no water flow over the spa overflow. The spa does not seem to be able to fill high enough to get the waterfall to flow. The way the plumbing works, all suction is coming from the pool skimmer and main drain and flowing through the spa and overflow back into the pool.

Our pool company came 2 weeks ago for one of our bi-monthly service visits and I noticed it after that. I was also having trouble getting the pump to prime at all, especially if I set it to only pull from the skimmer. I assumed they had clogged the skimmer line while cleaning so I called and they sent out a supervisor last Thursday to take a quick look. He managed to get the pump running again by splitting the suction between skimmer and main drain and putting the pump in overdrive mode. The spa overflow worked then as well, if weaker than normal for when the pump is on its highest setting. But starting last Saturday, even on overdrive, the overflow stopped flowing. Then I tried using the spa on spa only mode that night and noticed that the jets also were not working. It's not been another week and the spa is starting to turn green. I don't really fully understand how the pump is even running at all - if all the water is returning through the spa, but no water is coming over the overflow, then how is the pool and the spa staying at the same level?

A couple of key clues:
* The filter is showing very high pressure (25 to 35 psi)
* Jets don't work either
* Pump will not stay primed if I switch to only pull from the skimmer. I see flow at the skimmer, so it's pulling some when you split between skimmer and drain, but it starts to really struggle if I isolate suction to skimmer only

The pool company is sending a repair guy to look on Monday, but any advice on ways to potentially fix it and get it running myself this weekend would be appreciated! I'd love to be able to use it this weekend and it costs $130 just to get the repair guy out to look at it, so I wouldn't mind just taking care of it myself if it's possible.

If your filter shows high PSI then clean your filter.

What type of filter do you have? Put it in your signature?

My guess is you have algae clogging your filter and your flow.

What test kit do you have and how do you maintain your water chemistry?

You should be pouring 5 ppm of liquid chlorine into your spa daily to keep the algae at bay until you get your flow going.

I suggest you read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Post pics of your equipment pad and valves.

If you have a test kit then post what your water chemistry is in the format:

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Reactions: xLunchboxx
If your filter shows high PSI then clean your filter.

What type of filter do you have? Put it in your signature?

My guess is you have algae clogging your filter and your flow.

What test kit do you have and how do you maintain your water chemistry?

You should be pouring 5 ppm of liquid chlorine into your spa daily to keep the algae at bay until you get your flow going.

I suggest you read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Post pics of your equipment pad and valves.

If you have a test kit then post what your water chemistry is in the format:

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Thanks for the reply! I was actually just coming back here to update. I finally had some time to tinker with it after I posted and I got it working again. I cleaned my filter as you mentioned and that seemed to help, but the main thing was I started trying to turn the spa returns/pool returns valve and I don't think it's fully engaging. With some manipulation I was able to get it engage and I could feel turbulence inside of it and started to see bubbles coming out of the spa return. I think there was air stuck in the line because once I got it into position and left it, a ton of air churned out and then it started to flow normally. Filter pressure is back to normal as well. I still need to test the jets and the skimmer line though.

Here are a few pictures of the set up. Possible problem valve identified with blue arrow. I don't have a test kit handy right now, I mainly rely on the pool company and take samples to Leslie's in between visits, but I intend to get one.

Attachments

• PXL_20220430_161940284.jpg
    PXL_20220430_161940284.jpg
    714.9 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20220430_161951951~2.jpg
    PXL_20220430_161951951~2.jpg
    668.8 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20220430_162008358.jpg
    PXL_20220430_162008358.jpg
    489.2 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20220430_162020632.jpg
    PXL_20220430_162020632.jpg
    513.5 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20220430_162026233.jpg
    PXL_20220430_162026233.jpg
    529.1 KB · Views: 11
You have a small cartridge filter that clogs easily and needs frequent cleaning.

We recommend a TFPRO for Salt Pools Test Kits or a Taylor K2006C + K1766. See Pool Test Kits - Further Reading

And consider adopting TFPC...

Seeing the check valve in the spa line indicates a raised spa. If your pump is running on a lower speed it may not be able to push the water through the spa line enough to raise the level and the water will go straight through to to pool that is lower. This would especially show up if the filter is dirty.
I see that in my pool at the lowest speed and my spa isn't raised. For the last few hours of my filter-run, no overflow and my 420 filter shows 0 pressure so that is not the issue. Just not enough flow to overcome gravity.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.