Spa draining into pool

Then your fill water CH is pretty low. Good
There must have been some calcium hypochlorite used in this pool over time for your CH to rise that high in the pool.

So do an extended CYA test. Cut the pool water 1:1 with tap water. Redo the CYA test. Double the result.

Is that the water you tested? You need to test the water you will use to fill the pool.

I used spigot water; the same as I would have to use to fill the pool and is raw well water (non-softened). I will test that per above 1:1 instructions.

OK. I did the CYA test at 1:1 pool and tap; 3.5ml of each. CYA reading is 100; actually still above the 100 line did I do that right? See pic

Attachments

• IMG_0580.jpg
    IMG_0580.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 4
So your CYA is way above 200 ppm. You have a SWCG, how did it get that high??

You need to plan a complete drain/exchange and start over.

It would take months of trichlor and/or dichlor use to get that level of CYA. Something does not add up.

I believe you have been using a 'pool service'? I suspect they have been using stabilized chlorine, ignoring the SWCG.

you could be correct. I confronted them about why they were using any chlorine with a SWG. I'll assume the chem readings said it needed it? They added chlorine to the skimmer basket which sent chlorine directly to the equipment. I thought that was odd but they only did it once and now just sprinkle some chlorine occasionally. When we moved in, then salt cell looked like the pic below so it was replaced before the replacement shorted. So.....the SWG may not have been working. The Aqualink SWG panel was not throwing an error. We pulled it out to clean it and it looked like the pic below. I suspect there are more "water issues" to get a CSG cell to look like that?

Attachments

• saltcell3.jpg
    saltcell3.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 6

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That SWCG shows an udder disregard for proper pool water chemistry.

I would not pay that company another dime. Drain/exchange this pool and do it your self. You now likely know more about pool water chemistry than that company every has.

Yeah. And the previous owner is in the pool business (major equipment brand rep) so obviously disappointed and surprised we got it in this shape. You may have heard, and this is not an excuse or a defense, but there is a labor, parts and give-a-sh*t shortage in the area. :). All pool service companies are backed up or turning down business. My current company has already offered to duck out if I wish to take this on. I'd love to blame them but that cell indicates abuse prior to the service initiation. I really don't want to be in the pool business but here I am. I assume i just hit the drain and refill? I plan on fixing a few valves, heater and cleaning the filter when it's drawn down.

It is not a good idea to drain at this time of year. Sun and heat on your plaster can cause it to fail. That is why I continuously referred to 'drain/exchange'. If you can drain with a high power sump pump and fill all within about 12 hours, you are OK to do that. But if your feed water is not that fast, then the exchange is safer. See Draining - Further Reading

OK. I have a sump pump and can place in the shallow end and fill with cold in the deep. My pool equip is below the pool level so water can get out of these pipes in a hurry if I choose the drain and refill vs exchange. I do have strong well spigot pressure and can place 2 hoses to refill. No clue if that's 6, hours, 12 hours, 18 or 24 if I risk the drain?

Hi- Math shows dual spigots can fill about 600 gallons per hour. So it would take a bit more than 24 hours to fill full with raw well water. I can rent any size pump from 60GPM to 200GPM so evacuating is not an issue. The entire pool is above ground/above grade if that matters; concrete apron.

That is with a 2" short effluent hose. Will be lucky to get the 600 gph your fill water can feed.

I cut the GPH in half since it's a 2650 pump and I'll be hanging 15'. That's about midrange according to the pump manual estimating the height above discharge level. I assume just let it run until the pump, water fill or my patience gives up? The longer the better to ensure a full turnover?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.