Spa Drained and no water coming into pump

I walked out to my pool this morning and saw that the spa was drained. I went over to the pump / filter equipment and there was very little water in the basket filter. I immediately turned off the pump.
In researching I have read that there are a few potential causes for this.

• Blocked inlet on the pump impeller
    • checked and couldn't find any obstructions. I filled the basket filter and turned the pump back on and it drained it so I think that it is okay
  • There is nothing blocking the skimmers that I can see
  • In the attached pictures I can move the upper valve actuator with the switch on the side. I am not able to mover the lower one
    • Is this the valve that could be block water coming into the pump?
  • Is that a check valve on the left side of the plumping? If so, how do I verify that it is working correctly?

Thank you for your assistance.

Attachments

• 2020-07-11 15.48.12 (1).jpg
    2020-07-11 15.48.12 (1).jpg
    596.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 2020-07-11 15.48.21 (1).jpg
    2020-07-11 15.48.21 (1).jpg
    663.8 KB · Views: 10
Your suction side actuator appears to be pulling from the spa. The return side actuator appears to be set to return to pool.

Check the toggle switch on the suction side actuator to be sure it is set so you are pulling from the pool and returning to the pool, when in pool mode.

Correct, suction side is the entry INTO the pump.

Have you used the toggle switch on it?

If the lower actuator (Suction) does not move when you move the little on-off-on switch, you have found the problem.

Could be a bad actuator or something could have ate the cable or the automation my be bad.

If you look behind the little LCD you will see where both the Intake (suction) and Return actuators are connected to the main board.. If you temporarily swap the Intake and Return connections and the lower actuator starts to work, you will know the problem is the EasyTouch.. If it stays not working you will know it is the actuator or cable.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Yes.
You can also just loosen the nut holding the handle, then push down on the nut, not the handle, to disengage the gearing.

But since you need to replace the actuator, taking if off works too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks again for the help. I wanted to post a couple of pictures of the old actuator. I estimate it is about 6 to 8 years old. I am the second owner of the home. It looks to me like the seal weakened over time.
I ordered a new actuator. The only one I could get in a reasonable amount of time is a Hayward. Now I am reading through the paperwork to make sure I install it correctly.

Attachments

• 2020-07-13 17.12.45.jpg
    2020-07-13 17.12.45.jpg
    460.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 2020-07-13 17.12.50.jpg
    2020-07-13 17.12.50.jpg
    416.7 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.