Spa air blower turns off after about 20 minutes, does not appear to come back on unless switched on

ciaka

Jun 10, 2020
Austin, TX
So here is another thing I noticed about the new pool. My kids recently started using the spa. When we turn on the air blower, it will run for about 20 minutes.
Then, blower will turn off, and will stay off unless I turn it back on again.
There are no weird noises with the air blower. No shaking or no other indicator something is going wrong with the blower.
The circuit breakers do not trip. I have been researching and folks are telling me this should not be happening.
I want my darn bubbles to stay on when I tell them to.

The Pool and Apa air blower details are below:
Mfg: Jandy
Model: Pro Series PSB220
Peak HP: 2.0
Voltage: 240V 1 Phase
Amperage: 5.2A 75˚C
My spa has 6 jets if that makes difference

Anyone here an expert on these that can advise? Thank you.

Last edited:
So here is another thing I noticed about the new pool. My kids recently started using the spa. When we turn on the air blower, it will run for about 20 minutes.
Then, blower will turn off, and will stay off unless I turn it back on again.
There are no weird noises with the air blower. No shaking or no other indicator something is going wrong with the blower.
The circuit breakers do not trip. I have been researching and folks are telling me this should not be happening.
I want my darn bubbles to stay on when I tell them to.
Anyone here an expert on these that can advise? Thank you.
Some blowers have internal timers to prevent overheating. if you have the manual for yours try to determine if that is the issue.

@Jimrahbe or @Dirk Do either of you know about air blowers and why they would shut off after 20mins.?
Nothing in manual about thermal shutoff or timer for blower. See above.

Sorry, I don't know anything about blowers. How do they turn on the blower? Is automation involved? My automation has a scheduling feature called an "egg timer." Scheduling with an egg timer turns off the device after a set number of minutes, every time you turn it on. Perhaps the PB programmed only 20 minutes of bubbles, and set an egg timer schedule in the automation controller to achieve that?

Reactions: HermanTX
This is a new install. Call the pool builder. Jandy equipment is not DIY friendly. They will not provide any support to the pool owner. You must go through a Jandy authorized service center.

Yes, I already brought it to PB attention. They came out and turned it on, left after about 15 minutes. Few minutes after they left, it shut off. That is why I know it is 20 minutes. Told them about it but they are just intaking info and not producing any ideas or replies. Like throwing info into a black hole (maybe they work for Jandy too).

I have iAqualink automation to turn on my pool equipment, including the spa and the blower. There does not seem to be any info about timing at all.
I have not set it up yet as a one button deal, I go to the blower option and slide it to on position to turn on.
We will see what the PB will say about it when time comes. Hope it will be before summer. LOL.

C,

The first thing I would look at is the egg-timer for the circuit that runs the blower.. Most likely set to 20 minutes....

Note that I say that without knowing anything about the Aqualink system...

If it was a thermal issue, the blower would not come back on by just by restarting it..

Thanks,

Jim R

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I went to that section of iAqualink SW, and on Device Run Time page, I have 3 pages worth of stuff. Every option is set to OFF. So if there was a setting, OFF would mean what? That off time for all these is not set, right? Thats my thinking. If so, means my air blower does not have off time set, so SW should not be turning that off.

Reactions: PoolGate
C,

I would "assume" that off is just the current status.. An an example.. what does the display say when the "light" circuit is on???

Edit.. Just flat out wrong.. :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
"OFF" means there are no timers set, meaning this is not your issue. Is the shutoff time consistent ie the exact same amount of time until shutoff each time this happens?

Also I did a test on the "Device Runtime" and if you set it to "10", for instance, when you turn that device on, it stays on for 10 minutes and then turns off. The "10" remains, however, in that section so the next time you turn it on, it still only stays on for 10 minutes.

Last edited:
I started the blower today to see how long it will run. After about 20 minutes it turned off.
Everything in my device run time is set to off. Any other screens that can influence this? Greatly appreciate help. Thank you.

When I had my RS system the only feature to keep from running for days was a "system off" setting that would turn off everything at a set time. The default was 11 pm. No egg timers like Pentair has. Seems like there was another page where timers could be set.

With a new system you should protect your warranty by not doing anything other than operate the controls. Here's what I'd do (in order):
  • Reset the breaker and see if this works. Sometimes it does.
  • Switch to service mode and turn on the blower. If it runs more than 20 min there's a timer set somewhere. If it cuts off at 20 min I start to suspect the motor.
  • I would call customer support and tell them your authorized warranty provider is not solving the problem on your new system so you're stuck with a new pool that doesn't work. Jandy doesn't provide any warranty support for DIY or online purchased equipment which is a little frustrating but their customer support was always courteous and as helpful as they were allowed to be. Since you are not a DIY installation they may find a way to escalate so you get better service.
I hope this helps.

Chris

I started the blower today to see how long it will run. After about 20 minutes it turned off.
Everything in my device run time is set to off. Any other screens that can influence this? Greatly appreciate help. Thank you.

This is very odd. The only other place as Chris mentioned is the "All Off" but that is simply a time when everything shuts off not a timer.

I think your issue would have to be the "Device Run Time" timer section. For sure call Jandy they may have you do a system reset. Also I think Jandy will be more than happy to help you trouble-shoot this.

Just for fun, what is in your "Schedule" setup?

1612527060233.png

1612526910355.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.