South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - STARTUP PHASE

We are at our 30 day mark. I was 29/30 for days brushed. That one day got away from me as we were out on a boat with friends having a little too much fun. Is it customary to move to weekly brushing at this point and just make it part of recurring maintenance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh no. Just like your teeth you should be brushing a minimum of three times per day .... while listening to 80's music .... seriously, its in Pool School ...

:laughblue:

We are at our 30 day mark. I was 29/30 for days brushed. That one day got away from me as we were out on a boat with friends having a little too much fun. Is it customary to move to weekly brushing at this point and just make it part of recurring maintenance?

Grumpie,

Don't you have a robot??? Now that the 30 day mark has passed, just throw it into the pool.

Jim R.

We are supposed to have a suction cleaner/vacuum but the PB hasn't given it to us yet. For now I've got the plastic wheelie. I'm sure I'll be investing in a robot eventually tho.

We are supposed to have a suction cleaner/vacuum but the PB hasn't given it to us yet. For now I've got the plastic wheelie. I'm sure I'll be investing in a robot eventually tho.

After 4 seasons I'm done with my suction cleaner. Going with a robot as soon as I get my tax refund.

Don't wait 4 years...

After 4 seasons I'm done with my suction cleaner. Going with a robot as soon as I get my tax refund.

Don't wait 4 years...

I'm with ya. But a free "throw in" from the PB will buy me some time as we finish our landscape and furniture. I'm just waiting for them to "throw it in".

Get an inline leaf canister. I clogged my suction line with debris once.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - STARTUP PHASE

What does a Quartz based plaster job of our size (~17k gallons) cost? To a homeowner and to a PB? New vs refinish? I was guessing somewhere in the $5-8k neighborhood for me to hire someone to refinish the pool? Am I even in the ballpark?

For anyone following along, the 3rd party quotes are in the $4-$5K range for quartz based aggregate replaster jobs. The cost to my PB is probably closer to $3K, especially if the plaster company isnt making much margin to fix the "oops".

So our overflow line is plumbed through the back of our skimmer. But I can't figure out where the pvc goes based on the couple of pictures I have. It almost looks like it runs around the gunite wall of the pool but I can't figure out where it drains. Any thoughts based on the pics? The green markings are what I believe to be the overflow line. Unfortunately I don't have a picture at the corner of the pool to see exactly which pipe it is.

5be76b7ee09e25530412f217d814bc93.jpg

d99a6d198ab74b4356913ede50938df7.jpg

969a782d75a1dc697009fa2c0c2a35f0.jpg

Stick a garden hose in it and turn it on. Look for a wet spot or and exit point.

Stick a garden hose in it and turn it on. Look for a wet spot or and exit point.

I tried this the over the weekend and as I feared it filled within seconds and the pressure buildup kept pushing the hose out. It rained pretty hard Monday night, filling the pool above the overflow. Nearly two days later the water level is basically the same. One more rain like Monday night and we'd be really close to the pool overflowing.

Technically, our PB has met his obligation of adding an overflow line. In hindsight I wish I would have known enough to ensure it was a side wall 2.5-3" drain line vs the 1" in skimmer line.

When I asked the PB, he advised that it drains into the ground, specifically the gravel bed under the gunite shell. He also said that if the ground/soil is damp (ours typically is), it may take a few days to drain and that it is not meant as an immediate emergency drain line. From what I've read here and elsewhere, this isn't too uncommon but still concerning.

Any other thoughts or opinions? Our pool will likely be drained next week for our refinish. Is it possible, or worth it, to either rerun the drain into a French drain or some sort or a pop up bubbler? Or actually add a standard overflow line in the side of the wall? That side of our pool only has 4 feet of pavers from the coping to yard and our sod isn't down yet, so I am just considering all options now while it might be cheaper and easier to address than later.

FWIW, our neighbor doesn't have an overflow line in his pool and only very rarely needs to drain it from the equipment pad. But since we live in South Florida, I also don't want to be sweating the water level during hurricane season.

With us being in FL I would find the way that works best for you and your yard! I like the pop up but do worry about erosion. Look at where the water will exit and end up. Use that to make your pick of how the overfill be fixed.

"If the ground is wet it will take awhile"??????? REALLY??? It should be water too high goes bye-bye right away!

Kim:kim:

I'm no expert (despite what the blue badge says..) but that is just about the stupidest way to plumb an overflow drain line....in my humble opinion. So after a few seasons that line is simply going to fill up with packed sand and silt and be an effectively useless dead-end pipe...wow, that's super useful!

If it is accessible, I'd re-plumb it to daylight somewhere inconspicuous in the yard at a lower elevation than the pool. A hidden pop up drain is always a nice feature or, if you want to get really crazy, send it to a dry well. But if it's not easily accessible then....oh well....

Thanks Mr. PB, good job there :goodjob:

Replumbing it may not do much good tho with a 1" pipe. Is it even possible to core drill through the gunite wall to do a new overflow line the preferred way with a larger pipe?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.