Soon to Be New Owner - Want to Raise Efficiency of Pool Pump

Oskie

Jun 9, 2019
Pleasant Hill. CA
Hi All,

First pool ever and I was told during pool inspection that I could save $100 by changing from a single speed pump to a variable speed. He didn't specify over what timeframe those savings would appear though. Not a very cooperative inspector.

My questions are:
1) What is a good replacement for a pentair whisperflo 011513?
2) I cannot determine the voltage of the wiring outside because everything appears to have been purchased with dual voltage options (not 100% sure since I have only gotten to look at it all very briefly), so what do I do there?
3) How much is a reasonable fee (California Bay Area) for installation?

Thanks for all the materials you guys put online. The pool school was super helpful getting me confident to tackle my new pool.

...I was told during pool inspection that I could save $100 by changing from a single speed pump to a variable speed...

He may have been talking about a rebate. Your city's website shows a possible $100 rebate for VS pumps. There's a link to PG&E's website that shows no rebate. It's possible they ran out of funding for the program, but best to check with PG&E.

You'll save big with a VS over a single speed pump assuming you run it lower speeds.

He may have been talking about a rebate. Your city's website shows a possible $100 rebate for VS pumps. There's a link to PG&E's website that shows no rebate. It's possible they ran out of funding for the program, but best to check with PG&E.

You'll save big with a VS over a single speed pump assuming you run it lower speeds.
On your motor is a spec plate. Multiply the hp number by the sf number that equals THP. Horsepower * service factor equals total horsepower. That is the size of VS (VFD) system you need designed for your pump or pool. you can run it at a low speed which is good. Buying a twice too large is wasted watts (money.)
Good luck, you will have extra $ to have more parties

Nope forget what your current motor is rated for.

The intelliflo pump is a direct drop in replacement for any whisperflo pump. The pump is a little bit more expensive than some other options but you will break even at the end of the day because there shouldn't be any need to change the plumbing.

With residential VS pool pumps its not really possible to buy one that is too big.

Yes, a VS system for a 2 hp pump would be more than enough.

Your current motor is rated for 14.8 amps at 115V, or 7.8 amps at 230V. Not sure what you are running. Check your electrical conductors and breakers, would hate for you to have electrical exspenses because you have too small of conductors because your amp draw is too high because you bought too large a system. I do not know if your panel is out by the pump or in your garage. I am quite sure the intelliflo required to have a 230 V 20 amp breaker. If you cannot do a simple plumbing change then my assumption is that you are not an electrician to verify the correct circuit.

I also got a rebate, $60 from my Rural Electrical Coop

Good luck Darin

That is a great pump. It is the upgraded version of the 011018 which was the gold standard of VS pumps for years.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.