Solar plumbing question. How do you turn it off?

moore887

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
In The Industry
Aug 14, 2018
CAPE CORAL
A new VS Jacuzzi pump was installed at this pool today and it has been noted that the solar on the roof of the house is leaking. How does the solar turn off? The black Jandy-type valve doesn't seem to stop the flow and the ball valve is blockedvs pump.PNG by the footprint of the new pump.

It looks like the black 3 way valve with the red handle will bypass the solar loop. If it does not stop the flow then there may be something wrong with the diverter.

I would also close the ball valve on the right side line.

That's exactly the answer I was looking for Kori. Thank you so much! I wasn't too happy with the install anyway. When I looked at it there was no return pressure and no suction from the skimmer. I was there for an hour trying to figure out the problem. Pressure on the filter was almost 30psi, I pulled out the old ruined cartridge and the system worked.

Are you sure the water is not bypassing the solar? Or is the solar still leaking with the bypass open?

With the bypass open there will be water pressure in the panels against the closed valve. If there is a leak it will continue. You need to close the ball valve on the right side pipe to stop any water pressure into the panels.

That poor valve on the right side has no handle anymore. Gonna be fun trying to turn that one. I'm surprised the installer didn't suggest replacing it.

Oh wait... they installed that pump. Not surprised...

That is what the wrench on the floor is for.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Those valves aren't really meant to be repaired - they are a design that just never works well. I'd cut them out and replace then with NeverLube cutoffs. Having said that, you don't really need 2 - you could just use one on the right hand side of the picture, along with the 3 way diverter.

Reactions: moore887
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.