Solar cover

Jun 22, 2013
I have decided we need to get one. I see many thicknesses, from 8mil-16mil, blue or clear... Can anyone gove me some feedback/information on these. I still have not been able to get the pool temp above 80. Right now we are back at 79...burr

Thin and cheap. Blue is fine. It won't last more than a year or two. If you cut it at all it voids any warranty.

We had an intex one and it lasted 2 years. I was looking for a better quality one.

While the manufacturers will tell you that thicker lasts longer, the experience here on TFP shows otherwise. Thick or thin, blue or clear, they all last about 2 years if you're lucky. That's why TFP recommends cheapest & thinnest - it costs the least and weighs the least when wet.

Perfect! Thank You. Glad I found this place. My pool looks better than it ever has. I was just playing with the new phone APP. Its pretty sweet too!

Be sure to give it a good review in whichever App Store you downloaded it from.

I will. I was about to post a bug I found though. I was trying to enter some test results into the logs (premium version) and it won't take the specific time. If you reopen the log and change the date again, it saves correctly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So as a follow up. I got the blanket, and made a 20' PVC pipe to roll it up on.

Here is my problem now...

When the pump comes on the water circulates so much that it tries to spin the cover. After a bit of time it wads the cover up by the ladder and half the pool isn't covered.

Any suggestions on how to help keep the cover in place?

I've had a similar problem. The only simple solution I could come up with is pointing my inlet directly across the pool rather than pointing the inlet to cause the water to move in a circular fashion. This sort of causes the water to hit pool wall and roll down instead of hitting the pool wall and the water rolling up. I hope that makes some sense.

Also, I normally use the cover overnight and on cool days. This way I can hold the heat in the water that was stored during the day and reduce evaporation.

Do you turn the jets down?

Pointed down?

There is only one and it is pointed towards the bottom and to the side.

- - - Updated - - -

I've had a similar problem. The only simple solution I could come up with is pointing my inlet directly across the pool rather than pointing the inlet to cause the water to move in a circular fashion. This sort of causes the water to hit pool wall and roll down instead of hitting the pool wall and the water rolling up. I hope that makes some sense.

Also, I normally use the cover overnight and on cool days. This way I can hold the heat in the water that was stored during the day and reduce evaporation.

I am going to have to try that. I am keeping the cover on all the time right now. It hasn't gotten warm enough to swim yet. Still under 80 degrees. If this cold rain and hail would stop that would be great!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.