Falmouth, MA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-3)
I’m reading of many pool owners keeping solar covers on until ready to swim. I’m in NE, water temp currently 67. I currently put the cover on @ 7pm when my pump stops and remove @ 9 am when my pump comes on (I use a reel so not a huge effort). How does the water circulate if you don’t remove the cover and won’t this promote algae growth? Do you point the returns downward so circulation happens beneath the cover? Thank you!

I’m reading of many pool owners keeping solar covers on until ready to swim. I’m in NE, water temp currently 67. I currently put the cover on @ 7pm when my pump stops and remove @ 9 am when my pump comes on (I use a reel so not a huge effort). How does the water circulate if you don’t remove the cover and won’t this promote algae growth? Do you point the returns downward so circulation happens beneath the cover? Thank you!
We keep the cover on pretty much unless we are swimming. It helps stop bird-poop, leaves, whirly-bird-seed-pods and so on.
I don't know how much the surface skimming is affected - I have to assume some, but overall, the water still circulates (it comes in via the returns, and out via the skimmer, so it has to circulate from one end to the other ;) )

I do angle my returns at like a 45x45 angle, to promote vertical and horizontal circulation - although I think the actual benefit is more to my OCD than any real thermodynamic gains ;)