Solar cover thickness?

Nov 24, 2016
Bergen county nj
Hi
I’m shopping for a solar cover for my 16x24 semi inground oval pool.

It looks like the solar covers come in 8mil and 12mil.

I know thicker is better of course but not sure how hard they are to get on and off. I am. I am not adding a hose reel.

Any advice on thickness or weight?

Should I just go thinner to make it easier to remove?

Are the thinner ones worth using?

Thanks

Attachments

• CD5B2DA3-C19D-4B0B-A8FC-77E8E1443F52.jpeg
    CD5B2DA3-C19D-4B0B-A8FC-77E8E1443F52.jpeg
    517.1 KB · Views: 7
Get the cheapest you can. The thicker ones break down just as fast as the thin ones.
hah good advice thanks.
I was thinking along those lines because my winter cover which was around 100 bucks held up well, but now I have to clean it and try to fold it and then store it and it’s a huge pain.
maybe it’s just easier to spend 200 bucks a year replacing both covers every year.

I’m not paying someone to open and close the pool so may be worth it to spare the hassle.

hah good advice thanks.
I was thinking along those lines because my winter cover which was around 100 bucks held up well, but now I have to clean it and try to fold it and then store it and it’s a huge pain.
maybe it’s just easier to spend 200 bucks a year replacing both covers every year.

I’m not paying someone to open and close the pool so may be worth it to spare the hassle.

That’s what I’ve been doing, tossing them after each season. I had a 16mil then went to a 8mil and have new 16mil waiting to be put on. I use the solar cover and leaf net throughout the winter months. I personally prefer the 16mil as it held up better, your mileage may vary.

Salty

That’s what I’ve been doing, tossing them after each season. I had a 16mil then went to a 8mil and have new 16mil waiting to be put on. I use the solar cover and leaf net throughout the winter months. I personally prefer the 16mil as it held up better, your mileage may vary.

Salty

Thanks, any advice on whether the 8 mil or 16 mil are any easier or harder to get off without a reel sine you’ve had both?

Are you saying you use the solar cover as winter cover with leaf net?

I have a Rocky’s Reel so for me the 16mil was my preference, if y’all aren’t using a reel I would go with the 8mil as it’ll be easier to handle. Yes, I use it and a leaf net as a winter cover but I don’t actually close the pool living in SC as the winters are generally pretty mild.

Salty

Thanks for reply on my post. I should have updated I bought Dohenys 12 mil cover and it’s working amazing. I also added heat pump this year and we’re into the 80’s easily with the pump barely running. We are keeping it covered religiously and it’s not as annoying as I thought to take in and off. My wife and kids manage to take it off without me, of course not put it back on though. Lol

I didn’t even see any at 16 mil, glad I did 12 instead of 8

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.